Photo

Custom Map Testing Night

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Lin

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

As we all know, there are thousands of good custom maps out there. Our Mostly Stock Maps server is doing very well but it's time to start exploring other maps, and see if there are maps that could capture/keep interest in the game, keeping it fresh for our players. For this, we also have a custom maps server called MoonGamers Stomping Grounds.

When we ran the #1 CSS server out there, we used to have Map Nights on Friday nights. For this, a group of players and admins would spend Thursday night choosing maps to play, testing them out and making sure they would work, and up to five custom maps would be played on Friday nights.

I would like to know if there is any interest out there in doing this. We need to sign up players and admins, and choose some custom maps to review. So, if you are interested please post in this thread, and if you have any ideas for custom maps to review on Thursday night, please list them. You don't have to be there the entire night; as long as we have enough players to rate the maps as Good or Stinker, we'll be able to get it done!

I have already uploaded a bunch of maps to the Stomping Grounds server, and I would like to start our review list with the two following maps:

Crash
Carentan (maybe not, getting an error when it loads)
Causeways
Harrington

Please sign up and remember to suggest maps you may have played before! Let's get some custom fun going!

edit: a player mentioned Harrington, so I'll add that to the list.

Edited by Lin, 29 December 2010 - 09:47 AM.
added map to list

#2 Lin

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

bump!

#3 Warrior124

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

I'll sign up to help if you need me. As for custom maps I haven't had the chance to play any that we don't yet have since I just play MoonGamers servers. However, the best way to get to know the maps is to actually get them in rotation, and see what everyone likes. I like your idea of rating the maps whether they are good, or stinks. Thanks Lin. :)

#4 Red Dragon/Mushu

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

officially signing up, i will have a look on my maps folder on main computer tomorrow for a few maps :)

#5 Wolf68k

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:05 AM

Isn't a bit ironic that the server crashes enough and you want to add a map called Crash?

#6 Comet

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

Time permitting I will help, those maps have been installed. I'll see if I can add to the list...

#7 Section8

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

o! o! I just love looking at new maps. Count me in.

#8 Red Dragon/Mushu

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

dod_newcastle_final
415rennes_b6fix
dod_convoy_2011
dod_orangefightarena
dod_dunkirk
dod_aroundthecorner
dod_apartments_b2

#9 Livestrong

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

count me in !

#10 Foggy Bottom

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

I will be on...just give me a holler and I will be there.

Harrington is just another name for the map you call Rails. Harrington is what we called it in the leagues.

Foggy Bottom

#11 Comet

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

Harrington is completely different then Rails, no similarity what so ever. Perhaps you meant railroad3b3? It's a Rails layout with many changes...

#12 Lin

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

Folks, my dad is in town and I likely won't be around much for the next couple of days. I really want to be here for our first Custom Map Review night and Friday Night Map Night...would you all mind if I request a postponement of this until next week?

#13 Comet

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

That's fine Lin, family first.

I have added images to all maps available through the downloads section, all up to date, we currently have 67 maps. We'll sort through them and rid ourselves of any that don't meet a certain standard we're looking for.

http://www.moongamer...oads&showcat=10

I've also added a recent release, dod_fity_b2. A winter map with good game dynamics, not too involved. Taking this bridge will be a challenge. Overhead map view included...

http://www.moongamer...ds&showfile=112

Yet another, a relatively new fight yard map. Something to consider when we have but a handful seeding, a fun little map. Overhead map view included...

http://www.moongamer...ds&showfile=113

#14 Redshirt

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Not that I know many non-standard maps, but count me in! I'll gladly be a crash test dummy for new maps.

Better than a poke in the eye! :pokey:

#15 Langley

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

I'm in like Flynn.

#16 Comet

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

After installing another 40 maps or so I've made a short list of what I would recommend for the servers. I'm quite particular about what maps to add. The discussion pertains to a map night on the secondary server and what maps to add. After testing lets see what we agree upon.

In regards to adding maps to the main server...well, this is where I get a bit anal. While adding maps is a must to keep things fresh and fun I would like to maintain a stock feel. I believe our recent success is due in part to what we offer. Maintaining a stock look and feel is paramount. To that end I recommend the following maps...

flers_b2 (small)
anvil (medium)
pier_b2 (large)

Rarely do I get pissy pants over a map, but pier is making me wet. A large map for a populated server with a great look and feel. Being able to get to various elevations and or traverse through water adds to its appeal. The fog is thick in parts but as you progress forward it clears, yet another nice touch of realism. This map is unique right down to the various sound files. I encourage you to load it up and give it a test run, you can do so at our downloads section...

http://www.moongamer...ads&showfile=97

Attached Files

#17 gensolo

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

I'm in.

Comet...I have played Pier in DoD:S competition...and it is one of the greatest maps made for the game.

#18 Lin

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

This is ON for this coming Thursday night, now that the server crash issues are pretty much a thing of the past.

We have actually already done some testing on the Stock Maps server, with maps that had previously been used in competition. We have recently added the following maps to Mostly Stock, to add some variety to the stock maps menu:

Lennon
Harrington

We're still checking on a few others:

Pier
Flers
Fity
Vedville
Vigilance
Crash (looks promising!)

...and a couple of others I can't remember right now...

#19 Enforcer

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

Okay, so this Thursday, January 13 will be the testing evening, correct? Looking forward to it. It actually looks like Pier is similar to Docks in Desert Combat. It reminds me from the pics like a BF42 map. Just saying..

#20 Red Dragon/Mushu

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:31 AM

dod_newcastle_final - Medium
415rennes_b6fix - Small
dod_convoy_2011 - Small
dod_orangefightarena - Very small
dod_dunkirk - Large
dod_aroundthecorner - Medium
dod_apartments_b2 - - Medium

with these maps, as i was saying to lin last night, the small and the very small map are best if sniper and especially MG are removed altogether since the spawns are very close together and the MG will just cripple the map.
unsure if we are able to do this for certain maps atm tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com