Photo

Noobish Questions

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Erunai

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

How many maps does it have?

How many players on each map does it allow?

Do you need DoD to play it?

And how kick ass is the community?
:D

#2 Lin

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

The DoD community is really other players here who like to play it. It's a kickass $9.95 game, and we play it every Wednesday and Sunday night. Otherwise the server is empty. It does give us some gaming variety and it's fun!

WT, Comet and some of the others can tell you more about it than I can, though.

#3 Erunai

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

Ok, cool.

#4 Plinko

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

Lemme try and answer.

I"m sure there are tons of maps. There's about 7-10 or so that are very common and played most of the time. However, I'm sure there's a few custom map only servers out there.

I believe almost all maps are designed for 16 on 16 action? Plenty of people for a good time.

All you need to play is DoD:S, and probably a copy of HL2.

The community, especially Moon, kicks major ass. Watch out for Comet though, he's deadly with the Thompson. And Hartley with his bazooka is just...an easy kill lol.

#5 Erunai

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

So, alls I need is the $9.95 game?

#6 Jac3624

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

Yep, then the world of DoD:S will be open to you.

You won't likely see me much since I always work Wednesday and Sunday. Though I try to make it on because it's a lot of fun.

#7 Erunai

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

That pretty much guarnteed me buying it, I just need to wait for the right moment so my parents won't try to waterboard me for asking. Lawl

#8 WTBass

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

To elabortate a little bit more...there are two versions. One come in a CD case you buy and the other (the one we play) is only a download from www.steampowered.com. You need to first download steam and create an account, then you can purchase the game online for the $9.95. There will be tons of updates when you load it and get online the first time...I recommend checking for updates in the menu after everything is loaded and get ready...as there will a bunch.

The game has standard "stock" town maps that come with the download. There are many modded maps that will download the first time you join a server running the modded or "custom" map. Or you can download them at various internet sites and install them manually. Sometimes it is easier just to let the server load them for you.

The game is a hoot...I of course started on BF1942 (which is my first love) but DoD:S does offer so many more things IMO and some of the common issues with EA and 42 play are avoided. But just like any other computer program...there are some issues with Steam that make really no sense at all. One day is works fine and then in a month it might give you fits. But the issues can worked out fairly easily...with just some frustration.

You don't need punkbuster...steam has is own anti-cheat program called VAC and it comes as a part of the steam program. Everything is tracked by your "steamID" and it is pretty much the serial number for the game.

If you first load it up...there is no "single player" version. You can jump right onto a server and let Comet punch you out right off the bat, or you can in the menu "create a server" and choose a map and play by yourself. There are no bots or anything...but you can map your keyboard the way you want (options) and you can get a feel for the weapons and movements. Then once you are comfortable...come let Comet pick on you a bit like he does everybody else! ;)

Finally check out the DoD:S forum...there might be some historical stuff that might help...things like me hacking someone up with my axe (mainly Comet) and other fun screenshots and information.

Hope to see you out there man... :)

p.s. Stay away from Fulcrum26 if he shows up....he hacks! ;)

#9 Erunai

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:32 PM

Hmm... Thanks for the info. Now just to get the game. And on the point of me being picked on, I hope you people don't mind me camping. I've turned camping into a fine art.

#10 Comet

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

Hello Erunai,

Welcome to MG's DoD:S section of the Forum.

As Lin mentioned were a bunch of Moonies who really appreciate what this gem of a game has to offer. For $9.95 it's a steal, a true bargain for any gamer who appreciates great graphics, audio, custom maps, and a plethora of customizing available to you. I made a post a while back, this will help to familiarize yourself with the game...

http://www.moongamer...?...st&p=300654

As far as the community it is a very close bunch, unlike some communities that are rather large we're rather small, therefore everyone knows everyone. Those who make up this community are simply the best, we have a following from the UK an abroad...it's awesomer!

As you can see we're here to help, welcome to the DoD:S community. Hope to see you in game soon!

#11 Erunai

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

Must use wits to convince parents to let me buy the game for myself with my own money. The oldest trick in the book and the most successful :)

#12 Chernenkov

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

I love DoD:S.

I think it's better then BF.

You'll love it too!!

#13 Erunai

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

I've tried everything, except DoD, and I lost my BF1942 so I can't wait to get DoD.

#14 Dark Lancer

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:19 AM

Its important to note that its not quite the same as the BF series where you run around, bunny hop, strafe and try to dodge bullets while shooting the other guy. Its more about hiding and picking people off. Teamwork is more important too. The guns are deadly, but hard to hit people with sometimes. The other day Comet and I were the only ones in the server and sometimes we'd be hiding at opposite ends of the road firing at each other for 5 minutes before someone died. It was a good time.

#15 WTBass

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

Very good points Dark Lancer...and to add a hair more...the weapons are more realistic than BF weapons. I mean when you are firing the BAR, STG, or other heavies...you have to adjust your aim as the recoil of the weapons are very realistic. Rifles are very deadly...doesn't take a head shot for a one hit kill... (and I hate rifles.... ;) )

#16 Erunai

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

I've played America's Army where it is in the same setting as BF2 but it is a more Strategic game, even though on bridge I can kill the opposite team all by myself lawl. The heavy machinegun has extremely bad recoil and if you hold to long you will be aiming at the sky, so basically DoD:S is just a America's Army during WWII. I was camper then and I shall be a camper now.

#17 WTBass

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

Ah...you will fit in nicely. I'm one of those who is unable to camp...I bad mouth everyone that does...even though I love each and every one of them. ;) Plus flags are most important than kdr IMO.

#18 Erunai

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

I agree hold the flag and you win, who cares if you die 5 times or kill the other team 5 times.

#19 Plinko

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

Hmm... Thanks for the info. Now just to get the game. And on the point of me being picked on, I hope you people don't mind me camping. I've turned camping into a fine art.

Then you'll probably love the mg. Set up on some sand bags or lay in the weeds and mow down anybody that you see. Just watch out for my sniper rifle, as it's a great anti-camper weapon.

#20 Erunai

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

Don't worry about me, I have had lots of practice evading snipers. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com