Photo

1942 will not re-install for me

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gensolo

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I tried to re-install last night after deleting all of my files to try and see if that would fix my issue of the game crashing after the intro. This is what I get now:

An installation support file could not be installed. A catastrophic failure has occurred.

Ideas?

#2 Wolf68k

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Just for grins is there another computer you can try installing the game on to?
Or maybe if possible see if you can install it into something like a virtual OS (VPC, VMWare type of thing) with a clean OS.
Does it say at all which support file couldn't be installed? Any more details than that?
Check the disc for scratches, dust, finger prints, that sort of thing?

#3 gensolo

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Installed on another system just fine.

I could also not uninstall as I got this same error message and ended up deleting the files manually.

I talked to Stryper earlier, he thinks that maybe my computer has left a ghost imprint of something behind when you tried to delete your 1942 files

#4 Bullet-BS

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Installed on another system just fine.

I could also not uninstall as I got this same error message and ended up deleting the files manually.

I talked to Stryper earlier, he thinks that maybe my computer has left a ghost imprint of something behind when you tried to delete your 1942 files

Then tell it to install it to a different directory

#5 Billy Biglips

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

make sure that the whole EA game file is gone. If it isn't-delete it.

#6 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

Try these.
A1 B1
A2 B2

#7 posi

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

I know when I reinstall after using control panel to remove bf it leaves a lot, I don't have to worry about saving profile information , it will be there... I use Revo Uninstaller quite abit, it will get rid of those leftover files and registry entries. I'd uninstall using revo then reinstall.

#8 gensolo

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

I fixed it!

I thought that i had deleted every file i had from it on my computer but i just ran CCLEANER and it found like 3 different files lurking about and one had to do with the 1942.exe install file

#9 gensolo

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

It's now telling me that I have an invalid CD key. Do you know what file the keys are stored in so I can go check and possibly fix which ever one I messed up on?

#10 mattybeast

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

keys are stored in the windows registry.
Im not able to access my pc atm, but if
you google it you can find the location
Pretty easily.

#11 gensolo

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling again. For some reason the first time I reinstalled this afternoon it didn't ask for my key for Disc 1.

I never could get those files to open. But it works now and I was able to hop in!

#12 gensolo

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

It worked fine last night. I decided to hop into Bocage this morning and I'm back to the same crash to desktop after the intro.

#13 Livestrong

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

BF2 used to do that if the video drivers were wrong. Wonder if it's a direct x problem?

#14 Bullet-BS

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

change your target on the shortcut to this

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +restart 1

#15 gensolo

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Got it! I have to play in windowed mode, but it's worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com