Photo

Please help me I am so bad!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Steve2112

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hello. I am hoping you can provide with some insight. I have been playing over 3 years now and I seem to be in a big rut. I think I could be better, but I haven't seem to improve in more than 2 years.

Gear: I have a pretty solid PC. a 2-1/2 year cyberpowerpc of fairly stout specs and windows 7 which I currently run in virtual mode for the game (xp I think- it helped eliminate game crashes). I use an Acer G235 monitor. Sidewinder 2 stick. I also note a logitech ball mouse as a possible source of problems. I personally love it...allows me to move my sight around....but I think it might be too...hard to aim accurately?

I have a pretty fast road runner account, I am wired in to router. Typical ping is like 60.

Some have suggested team speak and I am on. But honestly with few exceptions, it's some bored people or no one at all. I had a couple GREAT experiences, including speaking to lin, One game a few guys and I tore it up with a battleship. And the drunk-acting girl isn't very fun-= lol.

One of my main problems seems to be aim. Or effectiveness. I can zook a jeep 3 times in various places including straight on and not kill it. Someone zooks me once and everybody dead. I can empty a clip in someone's face and barely faze him. he puts two rounds in me and I am dead. I have shot people MULTIPLE times with the heavy machine guns...nothing.

How do I know I am hitting them? Well shooting their face for one. I can see their weapon lower from being hit. Doesn't matter.

Another problem I am having is people and things appearing out of nowhere. Sometimes I have combed the whole vicinity and BAM...shot in the back. Or even in the face. Sometimes I die before any sound at all. When I am in a close gun battle...I can never seem to kill anyone no matter how many rounds, but a couple enemy rounds and I die. I noticed I was standing still to help my aim while others danced. So I started moving and still...same thing exactly. Doesn't matter if I move or not.

Speaking of moving- say I am in a jeep, and I hear a dive bombing plane.....I will make VERY random movements....even after the bomb is released...make a very fast 180...somehow it still gets me. Meanwhile- I can drop a bomb right on top of infantry and nothing. I can fire a tank POINT blank at infantry and at the most it blows him up in the air a little bit. Alive. Every time I blow up in the air I am dead.

I've heard most of it- "join ts, shoot in the arse, aim for the head...drop the bomb further back. And it's true that I probably just suck pretty bad- even though I know I am a good gamer. I've been playing video games for 40 years. I do admit to not being good at very technical games- but '42 probably isn't that.

I think there are...at least...two other things besides sucking. I get it- I am playing with players that have been playing Battlefield 1942 since...1942. But... I think I am missing some little thing. It might be my pc settings. Refresh rate? Internet up and down load? IS it my ball mouse? Won't let me aim accurately? IS there a game setting? It not only seems I have hit a brickwall hardware-wise, but also something inherent in actual game play or game dynamics.

The problem...it's so much fun and yet so frustratingly...unfathomable. How can I be running around like an idiot and have a sniper shoot me dead...and I can empty a clip in someone's face?

Thanks for letting me ramble. Hopefully you can advise! I'll be back at the game...trying to get better!

#2 dodgem

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

Three immediately obvious things for me:

1. I can't imagine a logitech ball mouse is easy to use on a FPS game. I would go with the traditional variety.
2. Lead your targets accurately. In BF1942, especially in close combat inf battles, you'll have to lead your targets quite a lot if you have a ping over 50. Know your ping and learn how much you need to lead targets by at different distances.
3. Keep practicing your shooting whilst strafing. It shouldn't be just spray and pray. You should be moving your mouse to keep the crosshairs leading the target's direction WHILST strafing. Not just strafing and shooting straight. NEVER stay still unless you crouch for a second or two to get a few shots on target at long range.

And also, yes. People have been playing this game for a LONG time. There'll be some players in every game who knows all the shortcuts and tricks on each and every map.

#3 Lin

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:13 AM

While I may be shot for posting this heresy in the BF1942 forum...try another game. Many of us have moved on to DayZ Epoch (a mod for Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead). It is as fast or as slow paced as you want it to be, and it's not populated by "experts" who have learned the glitches, downloaded cheats, or those who never grew up in the last ten years and still play their favorite game of cheap kills and cheaper insults. ;)

And, actually, if you like the beauty of more modern graphics, it looks like several of us will be migrating to Arma 3.

#4 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hi,

After reading it all mi guess is that you need to get a regular mouse, check what is your ping, the lower is better, high ping cause latency and a disvantage when face lower ping players, regardless are good or not.

To improve ping you will need help from your internet provider and map (are some programs to do it) the path to server, and suggest razor to speed your PC performance, that program accelerate video card etc so your experience in game gets better.

Yeah, There are many gamers with years of experience in this game but still if you practice you can and will beat them.

Check the IT area at forum fore more info.

Cheers

#5 mexican eskimo

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

couple tips.
Many times when you are in the tank shoot the solid object right behind the player. It is usually easier to hit full on and it will kill the player. Crates/bunkers.

infy: 2 things: routes and aiming
Sometimes it is hard to pick the right amount to lead, if the guy doesn't know you are there then don't shoot yet. Move in a bit and line it up so you and him are walking same direction then he easy kill with any ping.

Routes, takes a while but knowing the right routes is important but it depends on the map. Know where people will be waiting for you, and where you can sneak by. If you spawn a couple times and head the same route and die then change it up. Pick a different spawn and head a different direction.

Secrecy is pretty big. BF2 had radar so they know where you are. Here unless they see you or you shoot at them they don't know you exist. If it's some players that you can't take out, then let them walk by, and then you can line up their back and take them out.

Many things take practice, like fighting 2+ enemies at once. You have to judge who will kill you faster, and when you need to bail out of the fight. As a medic you can always run back a bit, or get them to waste their ammo.

#6 Lin

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

Remember there are still teams and clans out there who will be strategizing on a VOIP program...perhaps even in Moon's TS3, but on another channel. They can and will tell each other what they spot, and where the person is...or one could be ghosting for another. So if someone finds your location when you thought nobody knew about it, you never really, truly know that, do you? :wasnt-me:

#7 mexican eskimo

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:58 PM

There are no hidden spots. This game has been out 10+ years.

If you can see the enemy, they can see you.

#8 Grinch

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hate to say it, but I have uninstalled the game because of this exact issues were causing me to work 3 times harder than some players to get kills.

I could still have a lot of success in the game, but the exact problems you seem to be having were affecting me, and trust me those times not a darn thing you can do about it.

You must adjust your game, and try different tactics, but some players due to location and whatever else internet connectivity happens, will be constantly and MOSTLY impossible for you to hit.

I was firing shots into the back of the head of unmoving players laying prone and getting no hit points, this is when I almost put a fist into my monitor, it was finally time to have a rest.

I do miss the game, do not miss those moments, hahaha.

At 60 ping you should notice that OTHER players are not able to hit you too, it happens, and it sucks.

Good luck to you , keep trying to tweak your game, it is indeed challenging!

#9 mistamontiel

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

You're emulating M$ Windoze XP to game .. that seems pretty dreadful

Just nocd crack and NT compat. on the executable. Like a glove

#10 GoodDayToDie

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

I too can be cursed for saying this, but try another b42 server that gives you a lower ping...if there are any left:/

And try playing your favorite map on Single Player. With the bot's skills set to max and the team ratio in the bot's favor. That ought to give you some decent/fun practice!

Play other mods. There are so many modifications of BF42 out there. Getting acquainted with them all will increase your awareness of the game in general...it will teach you to be diverse in your actions.

PM me if you want to try other servers or mods.

Good luck out there buddy!!

PS: Screw other games! UP WITH BATTLEFIELD42! DOWN WITH GOOGILY GRAPHICS AND SLOWER(AT YOUR OWN PACE) SHENANIGANS!

I said GOODDAY SIR!!

PSS: MOONGAMERS IS A GREAT COMMUNITY/SERVER <3

#11 posi

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

Ping is king , Try them all, though .. I connect at 180 .. I'm telling ya. I can bounce out fairly far geographically and still cope.

#12 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

I too can be cursed for saying this, but try another b42 server that gives you a lower ping...if there are any left:/

And try playing your favorite map on Single Player. With the bot's skills set to max and the team ratio in the bot's favor. That ought to give you some decent/fun practice!

Play other mods. There are so many modifications of BF42 out there. Getting acquainted with them all will increase your awareness of the game in general...it will teach you to be diverse in your actions.

PM me if you want to try other servers or mods.

Good luck out there buddy!!

PS: Screw other games! UP WITH BATTLEFIELD42! DOWN WITH GOOGILY GRAPHICS AND SLOWER(AT YOUR OWN PACE) SHENANIGANS!

I said GOODDAY SIR!!

PSS: MOONGAMERS IS A GREAT COMMUNITY/SERVER <3

Great words indeed !

I play with 170-200 ping, but my PC runs XP that in my opinion is the most stable for any game that suport it, hardly freeze or crash, video settings in game options to medium high and V card almost 100% , installed Razer that improves settings to best fit game u run, last but not least important is game experience, learn from more experienced players and play and play.
That is best advice someone can give you.

Maybe some won't bealive but in my best times, to compensate ping as infantry, I've play always as engee and with rifle one shot is one kill if you hit face, and I got very god at it. Then stopped a while the game and when started again, that was gone, then pilot, also it is very good game experience in my ping and competitive, it has the issue that latency in close bombing can and caused TK as you not hit what you intend :( , luckily it does not happens a lot (or yes ? ) , play as a pilot give you long runs of uninterrupted game time w/o wait re spawn. I did scores that allowed me to play 0 deads for 20 mins or more, and is tons of fun.
Of the game I love it all, except trolls, only camp gamers and the urban legend hackers.

Please don't leave us in 1942 until you try it all, maybe someone you know is good in IT for the settings Etc

Give some time for this game and the game will last for a long time !

#13 JJ

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

Get in TS with a couple of people and move to the edge of the map and just practice. I used to use a trackball and no one understood how I could play with it, practice. Find the few things that work for you and you enjoy and refine those skills. If your ping and gaming rig wouldn't allow you to be an effective sniper or infantry for example then become assault or engy. You are playing with people who literally have thousands of hours playing '42, they know every map, anticipate where you will be and when. Hang in there, it's an old game but a fun game. Like I said get in TS and ask for help. You'll be surprised at the results!

Long live Len.

D~

#14 shortY

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

Just join the server and let us who are in TS point you out for a kill!

#15 Carlos Danger

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

Look at it as a puzzle and keep trying cause it is an awesome game. Here are some of Carlos' survival tips on staying alive with the hotshots

Strive to position yourself to shoot your opponent in the back, at his 180 if possible.
stealth and distraction are your best tools if k/d ratio becomes more important to you than capturing flags.

When engaged, run in circles to your opponent's left or right so that he must be a master at leading his shots to hit you. When doing this, try to conserve bullets and make him pay when he has to reload
if using long range weapons, use the radar screen and try to keep a few medic teammates between you and the enemy

Also realize you are not alone; there are many of us out here almost always lose 1-on-1, non-ambush, close range battles with the good players. For us, it makes more sense to be a weasel than a tiger.

#16 LewiQ

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

Hey Steve, a few tips from me. When in a tank, always aim slightly infront of where infantry are running (with shells), this tends to blow them to bits. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, avoid obvious routes on map. If you spawn in a central bunker on battleaxe, and run towards an opposition bunker, your likely to get naded. Instead, try spawning a bunker back and running along the outskirts of the battlefield. Being sneaky pays off on a server like moon.

Don't be disheartened by being shot in the back. On servers with 10-20 players, this won't happen. You have to expect it a little with an active server like moongamers.

Lin eluded to team games. I play for lop and we have 2-3 wars a week. I've found since joining, and playing in such high tempo, tactical games - my skills have improved a lot.. If you like, I could have a word with the guys and maybe get you involved with a few of our wars? Where are you based, east coast is obviously better due to ping issues.

Let me know if you fancy it.

#17 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

All in all, just enjoy the game. If you are worried about score, you might be missing the experience.
  • Grassy likes this

#18 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

All in all, just enjoy the game. If you are worried about score, you might be missing the experience.

Wise and true words.

#19 King of the Squirrels

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

Ping is king to leading your targets. Never run in straight line. Never ever stand still. Also I find I need to reboot cable modem and router at least once a month. It seems help a lot when player battlefield or fps games. Easy to to do, just unplug it from the power to a full minute or two. Plug back in to normal reboot and game on.

#20 posi

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

Think about your bindings - 'What key you press to get what action', Make sure your pistol is a button close to a trigger finger, you can even put it on the mouse... Do NOT run out of ammo, get used to switching down in a firefight, gun, pistol, knife. Switch kits as fast as possible, and make sure you can pick up new kits just as fast.
  • Grassy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com