Photo

Maps for Kerf-ing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moose Springsteen

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I wonder if Kerfuffle (or someone else handy with a Hammer :D ) could take a look at this map: http://dods.gamebanana.com/maps/38234

It's a great reproduction of the first level of Medal of Honor: Airborne. However it has one or two issues IMHO: Firstly, an overwhelming soundscape that literally drives players off the server (AA guns, bombers constant drone, once it starts there's just no let up <_< ). Only 'Tunisia' is more annoying!

Secondly, and probably more difficult to implement, the great thing about MOH:A was the spawning by parachute onto rooftops. I know DOD:S isn't optimized for this sort of deployment but there are one or two custom maps where it has been done (and it is used for 'forward advance' in the Left4Dod mod, which shows it's possible). The third issue is pretty negligible, the rather over-the-top, superfast scrolling skybox (or SSS as I call it :wasnt-me: )

Apart from that this is a very good, tight town map, one I think that would be enhanced by more roof-hopping and multi-level combat(a al Argentan_kerfed).

NB Kim of INsane's HUD fame has said this map is broken and not good but I disagree, I think it has potential with the right tweaks...

#2 LeadPaint

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Let me download the map first, make sure there are no major issues. If I think its playable in the server, I'll try to press for its upload. From there, once a game or two are played on it, I can make a sound judgement. From the images it looks nice though..
  • Moose Springsteen likes this

#3 Moose Springsteen

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

It's deffo a looker IMO :D ; whether players would be able to overlook the flaws is another matter (tho it's not as bad as a lot of 'customs')...

Thanks for having a gander anyhooo Mr Lead :cowdance:

#4 Kerfuffle

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

I wonder if Kerfuffle (or someone else handy with a Hammer :D ) could take a look at this map: http://dods.gamebanana.com/maps/38234

It's a great reproduction of the first level of Medal of Honor: Airborne. However it has one or two issues IMHO: Firstly, an overwhelming soundscape that literally drives players off the server (AA guns, bombers constant drone, once it starts there's just no let up Posted Image ). Only 'Tunisia' is more annoying!

Secondly, and probably more difficult to implement, the great thing about MOH:A was the spawning by parachute onto rooftops. I know DOD:S isn't optimized for this sort of deployment but there are one or two custom maps where it has been done (and it is used for 'forward advance' in the Left4Dod mod, which shows it's possible). The third issue is pretty negligible, the rather over-the-top, superfast scrolling skybox (or SSS as I call it :wasnt-me: )

Apart from that this is a very good, tight town map, one I think that would be enhanced by more roof-hopping and multi-level combat(a al Argentan_kerfed).

NB Kim of INsane's HUD fame has said this map is broken and not good but I disagree, I think it has potential with the right tweaks...

Many things are possible when the Kerf is on the case.

I will await the Lead Poisoning...errrr I mean Lead Paint analysis. We can do a paradrop into the action. Were you thinking a fixed paradrop (as in they can only drop to rooftops) or a freefall where they can land on the ground as well?
  • Moose Springsteen likes this

#5 Moose Springsteen

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Were you thinking a fixed paradrop (as in they can only drop to rooftops) or a freefall where they can land on the ground as well?

Hi Kerf, thx 4 looking at this! :D

I think in the original MOH:A you could drop kinda randomly; OTOH it'd b harder to implement in DODS with players possibly getting stuck in the church tower or falling thru buildings if not done correctly?

Maybe it'd be best to have fixed spawn zones, at least to begin with... Tho of course there would have to be spawn protection as Axis would know where the paras would be coming from...

#6 slunt

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Knowing kerf he'll add a few traps in it and laugh during the run through when you come across it... ;)

#7 Moose Springsteen

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Knowing kerf he'll add a few traps in it and laugh during the run through when you come across it... ;)

Nah he'll just add so much furniture you can't move, and more doors than are *strictly* necessary <_<

Plus the obligatory pole-dancing room... :pinkele:

Edit: Lin has a copy of MOH:A, I will ask her about it when I see her online...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com