Photo

Network KVM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Why Two Kay

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:10 PM

A standard KVM switch is a box that allows you to hook up one Keyboard/Video (Monitor)/Mouse and then the box hooks it up to many other computers. By pressing a button on the box, you can make your Keyboard/Monitor/Mouse work for any of the computers at any time. The computers are all running, and you are just changing where the Keyboard/Video/Mouse go to.

Now, what I want is a KVM that works with software. Meaning, that I can press a keyboard combo, and it will "switch" to a different box on my network. This computer being my 2nd computer, which is about 2 feet from me, and both are directly connected to my router.

After I broke my 2nd monitor/keyboard, this would be very useful, and a lifesaver for people AIMing me during game!

#2 Jack

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:16 PM

TRY THIS

#3 Why Two Kay

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:26 PM

TRY THIS

I did, and the only good one I found was KaVoom!, but it doesn't work when I am in-game.

#4 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:36 PM

A standard KVM switch is a box that allows you to hook up one Keyboard/Video (Monitor)/Mouse and then the box hooks it up to many other computers. By pressing a button on the box, you can make your Keyboard/Monitor/Mouse work for any of the computers at any time. The computers are all running, and you are just changing where the Keyboard/Video/Mouse go to.

Now, what I want is a KVM that works with software. Meaning, that I can press a keyboard combo, and it will "switch" to a different box on my network. This computer being my 2nd computer, which is about 2 feet from me, and both are directly connected to my router.

After I broke my 2nd monitor/keyboard, this would be very useful, and a lifesaver for people AIMing me during game!

Why not use a remote manager that you can keep as a window on the desktop instead of switching back and forth? I can't remember the name of the one I used before but will let you know when I get home.

EDIT: NVM you meantioned it on a different thread: RealVNC

#5 Why Two Kay

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

Why not use a remote manager that you can keep as a window on the desktop instead of switching back and forth? I can't remember the name of the one I used before but will let you know when I get home.

I am using VNC, but the idea is to get full control at the push of a keyboard combo. This would be when I am ingame and can not ALT+Tab to do something, such as moving people in TS, or checking a website.

#6 Santano

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

I remember my dad had something like that when I was younger.

it had a "A" and "B" switch and you could go between Tower A and B by flipping that, all on the same moniter.

#7 Why Two Kay

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:45 PM

I remember my dad had something like that when I was younger.

it had a "A" and "B" switch and you could go between Tower A and B by flipping that, all on the same moniter.

There are plenty of hardware options to do it, which can have a keyboard shortcut, but I need one that is 100% software.

#8 Santano

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:10 PM

Why not set up dual moniters? Would fix the problem... 'except for the 1 gig of ram part

#9 Why Two Kay

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:20 PM

Why not set up dual moniters? Would fix the problem... 'except for the 1 gig of ram part

My problem is because I dont have the 2nd monitor for the other computer, which is how I used to have it. Without that 2nd monitor, I need to use just this one for both computer, hence the need for a KVM.

#10 Danny Griffin

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

Try this. I think I will work for what you need.
clicky
*Edit* Actually that won't work. I forgot you only had one monitor.
*Edit part 2* I found this (clicky)and this will work.

Edited by Danny Griffin, 26 July 2006 - 02:56 PM.

#11 JJ

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

You pay the shipping I will send you a 21" CRT Veiwsonic.............

#12 DerRaucher

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:59 PM

Why must it be software?.. you need to run it all the time in the background and your machine needs to run the command what will end up to lag/ it take a time. In my eyes is the hardware-one the better one to do that. Just my idea.

#13 Hydlide

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

most KVM's work with a hardware button... The once I use are from ATEN, Master View models. And all of them I had in my hand are using a 'switch button' on the thing itself.

I cant really recall that there is actually one of them using a 'keyboard' feature because most of them are not 'reading' stuff, dont come with any drivers etc. The only thing they do is just re-route the signals and don't really listen to the signals that they are receiving.

#14 Why Two Kay

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:10 PM

Some hardware KVM's watch certain keys (usually Scroll Lock) and then tapping it can allow you to switch to another computers. I'm looking for something 100% software. So far, Kavoom! is the only thing that I can find, but it malfunctions when I'm playing CS. 1942 and BF2 still run fine with it. It looks like that is going to be my only option. I don't want to buy anything hardware, because I would be better off just buying a monitor instead, which would work better.

Either that, or setup my old Radeon 9200 in the 2nd computer to output to a TV screen on channel 4. My satellite will still come through on Channel 3, and I will just swap channels to see. But a TV can only manage 320x240 resolution with text. And the Moon TeamSpeak is certainly higher resolution than that... :blink:

I could combine ideas, and use Kavoom!'s other software, which is just keyboard/mouse. Then use the TV as the monitor.. I don't know, I'll mess with it.

#15 Hydlide

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

I doubt they exist.. problem is, KVM's can't read the keyboard layout, there are different keyboard.

Take the Belgium AZERTY keyboard, and the 102-American Layout QWERTY... I wont mention the russian version...

The letters are not always the same, the signals would be wrongly interpretated (as it all goes through a 256-bit stream and gets interpretated by the computer, not the KVM)

#16 Why Two Kay

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

Well, the outputting to the TV idea failed. I didn't have decent cables, plus it's a tiny TV (25 inches or something) at the distance I am from it. Plus TV's can never display text at any resolution well, so I would end up moving/kicking the wrong person from TS. :wasnt-me:

KaVoom! is also only a 20 minute trial, and didn't work with CS:S. If anybody can find any other software KVM (don't forget the V for Video) then please post them. Thanks.

Oh, and JJ, thanks for the offer, but it might be more economical to buy a used one at a garage sale, as shipping on monitors are expensive. I've already tried to get one from my Uncle when I was up in NY, but I couldn't check it in baggage and shipping was too pricy.

#17 JJ

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:25 PM

Well, the outputting to the TV idea failed. I didn't have decent cables, plus it's a tiny TV (25 inches or something) at the distance I am from it. Plus TV's can never display text at any resolution well, so I would end up moving/kicking the wrong person from TS. :wasnt-me:

KaVoom! is also only a 20 minute trial, and didn't work with CS:S. If anybody can find any other software KVM (don't forget the V for Video) then please post them. Thanks.

Oh, and JJ, thanks for the offer, but it might be more economical to buy a used one at a garage sale, as shipping on monitors are expensive. I've already tried to get one from my Uncle when I was up in NY, but I couldn't check it in baggage and shipping was too pricy.

I am a UPS shipper. Let me check on pricing.......I'll let you know.......you have nothing to loose at this point....

#18 amerιcιgerm

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

well even if u did have a second moniter u would still have to alt+tab out thats the thing its the same computer. i ahve a second moniter and when i gte an IM i have to alt+tab out or it just minimizes the game right there

ryan u ahve 2 computers y not just go to ur other computer and type while ur hiding in a secret spot in game? :withstup:

#19 Why Two Kay

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

ryan u ahve 2 computers y not just go to ur other computer and type while ur hiding in a secret spot in game? :withstup:

Err, do you have any idea what this entire topic was about?

The idea is that I have no 2nd monitor, keyboard, or mouse. So my second computer it sitting useless since it can't be used without a way to get it onto this set of monitor/keyboard/mouse. I wanted a software solution, but apparently the only good one out there doesn't work when ingame, which is really my entire purpose.

#20 amerιcιgerm

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

o srry i thought u had a desktop and a laptop my mistake :P

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com