Photo

Disabling bots permanently

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Black Mamba

Posted 03 April 2024 - 11:36 AM

Hi all,

Would it be possible to disable the bots on the server, perhaps permanently?

Here are some reasons why they should be disabled:

1) Bots have a tendency to waste vehicles at the beginning of a round, because they spawn faster. So you end up in situations where, in Wake Island for example, bots take off with the planes on the Axis carrier and get killed seconds later by an enemy player, effectively wasting the planes;

2) Population levels in the server have been very high recently, and will most likely continue to be high in the future. In that regard, the need to have bots as placeholders in the server when it is empty (and the server is never empty nowadays) is no longer justified;

3) Some bots are useless, just stand around, and are easy kills for enemy human players. In other words, they just waste tickets, and every ticket counts in Conquest;

4) Bots are terrible teammates and don't listen to radio commands;

5) Most importantly, playing vs bots, for me at least, isn't fun. The average skill level on the server is lowered when they are enabled

Here are some suggestions:

1) Maybe a transition period could be enacted, where the number of bots on the server is progressively lowered for a certain period of time (perhaps 2-3 weeks), until bots are completely removed;

2) Some maps could keep a small number of bots, while others could have them removed completely, to compare player experience in the two scenarios;

3) Depending on player feedback, a decision could perhaps be made to completely remove the bots from all maps, or only keep a restricted number of them in certain maps

4) If bots have to stay, maybe a script could be made to automatically adjust their ratio based on each team's skill level (less bots for the higher skilled team, more for the lesser skilled one)  

I wanted to create a poll in this topic but I can't seem to find the option for it, was it disabled?

#2 smudge

Posted 03 April 2024 - 11:57 AM

hey. the bots don't fly on wake as far as im aware? they do get ships but when admin is on usually the 1st thing we do is !killbots and also at players request we will killbots to free up vehicles.

As it is now the bots are disabled as more players connect. so on a full/nearly full server there are no bots playing. (not sure the ratio on this)

some maps don't have any bots. 

maybe reducing bots/player ratio would not be a bad idea.

#3 Wasabi®

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:18 PM

The server does kill bots automatically at the start of the round (and periodically) on Omaha, Iwo Jima, Wake, and Battle of Britain, however the timing of this may be a bit slow. We can look into doing that earlier so equipment is available to human players. It may also be necessary to do this on more / all maps. 

Like smudge mentioned, the server automatically turns off the bots (prevents them from spawning) when the population goes above a threshold (different maps have different thresholds)

In the odd hours (especially late night US / early morning EU) the bots are still sometimes necessary to give players something to shoot at.

• smudge likes this

#4 Black Mamba

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:48 PM

hey. the bots don't fly on wake as far as im aware? they do get ships but when admin is on usually the 1st thing we do is !killbots and also at players request we will killbots to free up vehicles.
As it is now the bots are disabled as more players connect. so on a full/nearly full server there are no bots playing. (not sure the ratio on this)

I can confirm that they do. The other day, by the time I spawned at map start on the Axis carrier, both planes were already in the air and occupied by bots.

#5 COLONEL HESSLER

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:14 PM

Yeah, the bots are too lazy. They are always laying around the main getting suntans..
  • Black Mamba likes this

#6 smudge

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:28 AM

I can confirm that they do. The other day, by the time I spawned at map start on the Axis carrier, both planes were already in the air and occupied by bots.

you may be correct, just never witnessed this myself :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com