Photo

Vid card troubles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Darkwing_X

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:56 AM

processer:intel pentium 4.3
mem:512 mb ram
Direct X: 9.0

my new video card

ATI All-in-wonder 9600 XT replacing my old Nvidia geforce fx 5200

problem: When I play newer games the screen glitches and I get wierd green boxes and dots

I tried taking a screenshot of BF2 for example but it goes by too fast so i gotta explain

I randomly get gree and blue dots or lines in a section of the screen and its not that annoying till you start actully fighting..then u get pissed off and want to tear your hair out. So anyways can anyone give me a suggestion...and not just one give me a few so I can spend more time to fix it before I have to look again cuz I hate getting one option then it not working then I have to rush back...I really like this video card (I can see further so I kill more and die less!) and i dont want to have to take it away.

-Darkwing_X

#2 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:01 AM

Drivers?

#3 Darkwing_X

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:29 AM

ive done that...no...try giving more advice next time lol

#4 Ster

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:31 AM

It's artifacting.. your power supply isn't strong enough for your new card. Time for another upgrade!

#5 KatManDu

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:37 AM

Temperature on video card too high?
Overclocking?
A new wig?

#6 Meyer

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:43 AM

It can also be "tearing", try to google and look at the screenshot other ppl with tearing got. See if it is the same.

#7 Limpnoodle

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:45 AM

My $$$ says its power supply or heat. What you describe sounds like power supply, open you case and look at your power supply and give us the info. (the PSU is the big box the power cord plugs into, if you didn't know)

#8 WC40

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:54 AM

"Ya" that problem is more common on the 9800xt. The 9800xt snow shows up as white and red dots. You need to goto the ATI site and get yourself the rad-clocker & Rad-Linker download and underclock you video card core & memory by about 5%, you may need to go as high as 10%. In short you video is overheating because it's overclocked.

Edited by WC40, 26 December 2005 - 09:09 AM.

#9 Darkwing_X

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:50 PM

the power supply is new and it works like a champ compared to the old one I have so im not sure whats wrong

edit: it is tearing and the solution would be new monitor but...we spent all Christmas money on the other stuff and im not about to buy a new monitor...this ones only a year old.help!!!!

Edited by Darkwing_X, 26 December 2005 - 10:58 PM.

#10 Darkwing_X

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:45 AM

any other suggestions before I have to say to my parents they were right. cuz thats not fun

#11 Ster

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:47 AM

First... what is your power supply and what's the temperature on the card?

#12 @n@rchist

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:22 AM

It doesnt matter how new a psu. We need to know the voltage.

#13 Ster

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:05 AM

It doesnt matter how new a psu. We need to know the voltage.

Watts, not volts

#14 Soldaten

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:42 AM

I am curious, are you using an LCD monitor ?

I am guessing this only happens with 3D games. If so then I suggest that you consider experimenting with the VSYNC setting on your video card by enabling it. It seems you have nothing to lose since you can't buy a monitor at the moment.

A brief technical description of VSYNC
VSYNC is basically the synchronizing of buffer swaps with your monitor's refresh rate. With VSYNC enabled, frame rates will not exceed the monitor's current refresh rate for that particular resolution. If your monitor is using a refresh rate of 85Hz at 800x600, with VSYNC enabled, you will theoretically never exceed 85fps. So the refresh rate creates a boundary that limits what the frame rate can achieve.

Or if you prefer, a less technical description
the “tearing” effect you see occurs when the game is drawing frames faster than the native refresh rate of your monitor.

-S

We use wayyy to many TLA's around here

#15 Darkwing_X

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:11 PM

non LCD my power is 300 watts...and ummm..yeah

#16 Lin

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:26 PM

Holy crap! You need a new power supply!

#17 Darkwing_X

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:44 PM

it is a new one...when my computer ended up having a power surge my old one blew up....so I got this one .....so its not my fault its crap....those retards at the store did it...dammit! I want my money back and a new power supply!sadly I cannot afford one...and I cant get my money back so im screwed.

#18 Ster

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:33 PM

Well.. in order to run that video card, you want about a 450 watt power supply, at least.

#19 secchione di assassino

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:47 PM

power supplies aren't all that expensive, i'm sure you can muster up the 40 bucks it'll cost to get a better one. i'm in the process of building a new comp, and the psu is by far the cheapest thing.

#20 Darkwing_X

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:04 AM

power supplies aren't all that expensive, i'm sure you can muster up the 40 bucks it'll cost to get a better one. i'm in the process of building a new comp, and the psu is by far the cheapest thing.

Thats a no go.
qoute from mom= Until you get a job and start paying for this stuff you'll keep having trobles cuz im not paying for al your games and computer crap.

im only 14 and im not gunna do a 12$ per month paper rounte for years trying to make all the upgrade money I need..

this just sux

-Darkwing

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com