Photo

Windows Vista and gaming

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 -=lEasyCompanyl=-theone

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:07 AM

with vista, would u have to upgrade ur gfx card to dx10? or can u use the same graphics card?

#22 TheL3gend

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:19 AM

You can use the same one.

But for some newer games that require DX10, you will need to get a new card. Either a nVidia G80 or whatever ATI is going to offer.

#23 Bacon

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

http://www.bit-tech....on_to_bit-tech/

Install on one machine at once and be able to reactivate 10 times. Frankly though I doubt that Microsoft will do anything too stupid. There is always rumors about every OS and almost all the time they end up being not a problem or only a miner hassle.

Edited by Bacon, 31 October 2006 - 06:12 PM.

#24 Why Two Kay

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

Just call them if you need to reformat/reinstall again. They usually don't care.

#25 Catfish

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

You can use the same one.

But for some newer games that require DX10, you will need to get a new card. Either a nVidia G80 or whatever ATI is going to offer.

R600 :applaud:

Some more info on reactivation.

Microsoft gives hardware wonks a Vista break

#26 pest control

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

he he, they had no choice, they changed that 2 to 10 times, having a limit on reinstallations is a major drawback.
otherwise, the 64 bit OS will be able to address large amounts of memory at a time and with multithreading becoming a norm, the new games will look far better than what we have now

#27 Catfish

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

Yet another update --

Microsoft backs down on Vista re-installs

#28 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

Too lazy to type all out again, but here is some info about DX9.0L I posted about at TBF2 a couple of weeks ago,

http://www.totalbf2....514&postcount=3

#29 DerRaucher

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

he he, they had no choice, they changed that 2 to 10 times, having a limit on reinstallations is a major drawback.
otherwise, the 64 bit OS will be able to address large amounts of memory at a time and with multithreading becoming a norm, the new games will look far better than what we have now

whats the prob on this?... install the system, activate it and make a backup.

i will wait for the second edition or with sp1 or whatever with vista. it is the same as with win98 and win98se , with win2k w/o sp and with sp4 at the end and with xp w/o sp and with sp1/2. The OS will be full of bugs at the start ( are ea and microsoft the same?, lol )

other question: All the new mainboards with DualCore System has the limit of 8gb ram (max). Winxp64 and vista64 could handle 128gb ram... why?

#30 fitusmilbarge

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:46 AM

Vista is hurting... i just installed Home Premium (dont need all the other crap the other veriosn have) and every time i go into a moongamers server i get an O/S conflicting error and punkbuster boots me. If i got back to my other hard drive with XP Pro... no problems. Anyone know why?

#31 AnonymousFlash

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Punkbuster go into your files to check for suspicious stuff? It is designed to do that on XP though, so they are going to have to do something for the Vista people.

#32 Why Two Kay

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Punkbuster go into your files to check for suspicious stuff? It is designed to do that on XP though, so they are going to have to do something for the Vista people.

It can only touch the game directory, and as long as the files are not compresed or anything (which would be impossible to play then) then PB would be fine. Assuming it has network connectivity to download updates and connect to teh master server.

Of course, BF1942's PunkBuster hasn't updated since 2004, so that isn't much to worry about. Blasted EA stopped the funding.

#33 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:22 PM

Vista is hurting... i just installed Home Premium (dont need all the other crap the other veriosn have) and every time i go into a moongamers server i get an O/S conflicting error and punkbuster boots me. If i got back to my other hard drive with XP Pro... no problems. Anyone know why?

Right click the BF2 icon and select "Run as administrator".

#34 Neko

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:17 PM

If run as administrator doesn't work also try running in compatibilty mode for XP SP2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com