Photo

Ping HELP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#61 Lin

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:37 AM

ok, grasping at straws here...you don't suppose some of your RAM has gone south, do ya? Or your vid card?

I ask because I got a brand spanking new Alienware laptop...and the ATI Mobility card went bad 2 weeks later.

Since you're on a laptop you can't exactly do a hardware check...removing and replacing it to make sure the contacts are clean, etc...but Anarchist can. I wonder though if there is any way to check your hardware to see if it has failed?

Another test...since you're on a laptop, can you take it to someone else's apartment (outside of your own complex) and see what kind of results you get? That would either confirm or eliminate line problems...

#62 @n@rchist

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:34 PM

Can over heating be a problem? Everything is in fine. I checked.

#63 [USAF]FiGhTaPiLOt

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:20 PM

ok, grasping at straws here...you don't suppose some of your RAM has gone south, do ya? Or your vid card?

I ask because I got a brand spanking new Alienware laptop...and the ATI Mobility card went bad 2 weeks later.

Since you're on a laptop you can't exactly do a hardware check...removing and replacing it to make sure the contacts are clean, etc...but Anarchist can. I wonder though if there is any way to check your hardware to see if it has failed?

Another test...since you're on a laptop, can you take it to someone else's apartment (outside of your own complex) and see what kind of results you get? That would either confirm or eliminate line problems...

Thank you for your help, Lin and everyone else. I will try to bring my laptop over to MIRVys sometime soon. Its really wierd but most other servers don't 'act up' like mine does all of a sudden in moongamers. Aside from moongamers there are 3-4 other servers that have been behaving like moongamer's cs:s server. All others I can play on like normal, hence I don't think its a hardware issue.

This sucks0rz.

#64 @n@rchist

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:34 PM

Do you play at a certain time? i.e.:Morning, Afternoon, Night? Does it do it all the time. Does it do it on all of our servers?

#65 [USAF]FiGhTaPiLOt

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:50 PM

I have played morn/afternoon/night before with no problems and now since last Friday night, I have tried to play morn/afternoon/night and every tome this mysterious lag has been present. I havent tried to play DoD, only just on your CS:S server.

#66 @n@rchist

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:41 PM

We have another CS server that we use for testing. We also have a Half Life 2 deathmatch server. The info is on the main page. Try out our other CS server.

#67 [USAF]FiGhTaPiLOt

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:54 PM

ok I didnt see the testing cs server on the main page (what is it btw - ip?-does anyone play there when you arent testing?) so I tried HL2 deathmatch. Exact same problem there too (no surprise).

If it helps, my choke in HL2D and CS:S is between 100-150! What does this mean and I hope it helps our trouble-shooting this problem. I have also noticed that MIRV has said it has been laggy for him in there lately too. And if you look at the 'regular' players there (not necessarily forum members) thier pings seem to be 40-50m/s greater as well. Would it help/possible to reset the server?

#68 @n@rchist

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

Second CS Server
38.113.32.195:27017

#69 [USAF]FiGhTaPiLOt

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:47 PM

any ideas on how to lower my choke? I'll try and check the steam forums again, but anything you guys would have can help. my choke used to be in the teens here with a max at 40-50, not this garbage of 100+!

Anyone else getting this bad choke. I've been reading a lot on the steam forums and there are a ton of others that have had this problem since the last update, some like me have the same ping but high choke and it makes the game unplayable. gg value cause they havent gotten around to addressing this problem/problems yet.

thx for the ip, anarchist. Yep, same problem there too, I just checked it out...

#70 Lin

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:49 PM

OK, I have rebooted the server. Try now!

#71 [USAF]FiGhTaPiLOt

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:08 AM

:(

It was a marginally better for all of about 30 seconds then big time lag hit again. I need Obi Wan or something to help me now...

#72 [USAF]FiGhTaPiLOt

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:59 PM

help!

#73 KAOPECTATE

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

Ok, I didn't want to give away my superior tech support skills too soon, but you seem stuck. :comp26:
Is your phone line securely in the wall jack? - Sometimes I kick mine and get a little laggy.
Is there someone using your "other line" talking to there "mom" on the phone while you are gaming? - Sometimes ya gotta kick your loved ones to get them to behave.
Is your phone line in good repair? - Mine was old once and when I got a bright new white cord...oh, well...nothing changed, but hey, it may help you.
Dude, get a Dell - 1-800-915-3355 Makes all the difference in the world

GOOD LUCK!

#74 [USAF]FiGhTaPiLOt

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for trying kaopectate, but I have no phone line (my primary is my mobile phone) and I'm single living bymyself. Yes the phone line is secure, I just checked.

#75 Ryu-XD

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:01 AM

Ok FightaPilot, you don't like me. But I will try to help anyways because that is the person I am.. I help those in need of IT.

Try these commands in-game...

cl_rate 60000 <-- Sets the rate that the client sends data/packets to the server (bytes/sec).
cl_updaterate 50 <-- Sets the rate that the clients RECEIVES data/packets from the server.
rate 60000 <-- Sets the maximum rate of both incoming and outgoing packet traffic.
cl_cmdrate 50 <-- This command sets the number of times per second the client updates server packets.

I have set the numbers myself and tested them. These are good numbers towards people with highspeed cable/dsl. Do not add more or add less than the numbers I have chosen because you cannot receive more than 60,000 bytes/per from a server to client because Valve automated server hosts to set the maximum number of bytes/sec a client can receive depending on the connection of the server. 5mb and under = 60,000, and that is a fixed number. T3 - OC120 = 100,000.

Anyways, I hope these commands work for you. You should also bind them to a key because every map change the rates go to default. If your wondering how to bind them to a key, goto your console and type....

bind ? "cl_updaterate 50; cl_cmdrate 50; cl_rate 60000; rate 60000"

Server admins, you need not to worry, this does not lag server but lags the client if the numbers are too high or too low. Servers have a fixed maximum number anyways.

Ok, again I hope this helps, good luck.
This should help all of you if you are having ping problems as well... SHOULD is the key word there. If it doesn't work, it's your computer/modem/traffic/packet loss/bad news.

(Gotta love 5 years of CS experience + 3 years of Quake experience, makes you remember commands/admin commands/client commands accordingly (I miss my old CS server))

#76 [USAF]FiGhTaPiLOt

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:36 AM

Ok FightaPilot, you don't like me. But I will try to help anyways because that is the person I am.. I help those in need of IT.

Thanks for your input but in the end they don't seem to work either.

Thanks for teaching me how to bind, I never knew you could do that! Totally radical, dude!!! I never said I didnt like you, don't put words in my mouth. I just don't respond to your childish jabs at me in game like MIRV will do (and PWN handily PWN you I might add) or when I change my name to [USAF]SiCkPiLOt (I distinctly remember you wrote, unprovoked something to the effect of how i was sepressed and something about a small penis..."). Actually, I don't want to get anymore into it than I have already.

Oh, by the way, check the tread that MIRV made in the CS:S forum. We took a couple of mins to put these pics of us up there so we wouldnt have to hear you and your cohorts non stop dribble about how we are just 'posing' as AF officers.

Other than this dookie and the mute button in the options, you are easy to get along with. Seriously, thanks for your effort in trying to help me. I wish it worked.

#77 Lin

Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:19 AM

Fighta, have you tried running HiJack This? It tells you everything that is running on your system. You have to know how to read it, but if you don't, we have people who do.

Let's keep working on this!

#78 Ryu-XD

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:22 AM

Type ping in console.. it will give you your actual ping on the server instead of looking at the TAB gui (which is not really accurate)

Post it on here when done.

#79 Why Two Kay

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:29 AM

Type ping in console.. it will give you your actual ping on the server instead of looking at the TAB gui (which is not really accurate)

Post it on here when done.

I believe thats CS:S and HL:2 only tho.....just so we dont confuse people.

#80 @n@rchist

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:32 AM

IF you read the WHOLE thread you would see he is from CS.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com