Photo

1942 Will not run with windows audio endpoint builder

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FriendlyNoob

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:42 AM

So, I recently uninstalled and installed the battlefield 1942, because the game would not allow me to vote or change my username or change controls. The game ran well other than those issues. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game from the CD. Now the game will not run displaying a black screen on startup.

I disabled the windows service "windows audio endpoint builder" by going to services.msc in the search box. Which also disables "windows audio." The game will then start and run fine except without audio. My other issues with the controls and username have been fixed. Now, I have a new issue... frustrating. I'm running windows 7.

I tried running the game in windows XP compatiablity mode. I tried the BF1942-vista-win7-fix. They did not work. Anytime windows audio service is enabled and windows audio endpoint builder is enabled it does not work.

How do I fix my audio?

#2 posi

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

Good question.  Which obviously, we didn't know.

The infamous 'black screen of death' noting that the game is trying to launch. Leave it in place it will eventually crash, never seen it recover.  

I encountered this error after launching the battlefield.exe on another hard drive while a version was running.   A Crash followed by corruption.  Ah yes, tried drivers forward or back. Turning off the audio service, then launching then turning it on.  Windows had recently done auto-updates, rolling them back did not help.  Uninstall / Reinstall of Battlefield with registry sweep did nothing.        

But I thankyou for your share.  I play on very custom bindings with %50 of the keys pressed not being default.  I turned off this service, loaded the game and copied my bindings one key at a time to a booting Windows XP machine.  

As I stare at 14 year old tower with yet another recent motherboard swap with despair..   There is a path to Battlefield 1942.  

• Rubulator likes this

#3 posi

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:27 AM

It did not require a Windows Reinstall or System Restore

It did require the following steps, with lesser attempts failing.

Complete Battlefield Uninstall with any related utilities also uninstalled that may have touched Battlefield ( Booster, Quicklaunch,  Game Camera ect ).  First pass didn't cut it for me on removal / Reinstall.  I used Revo Uninstaller and deleted all the associated registry keys and leftover files.  Opened Windows explorer deleted EA folders and anything remaining manually.

Reboot 

Swept Registry using Auslogics 

Reboot

Reinstalled using Myabandonware version of Battlefield and no additional patches.  ( Origin and CD versions have left me with some errors  ) 

It seems to work and audio is restored.      

#4 FriendlyNoob

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

I just saw this now. Thank you for your effort. I will give your method a try and report back. For the record in the past I tried the following before giving up:

-Running the game in windows XP service pack 3 comparability mode and many others.

-I tried the BF1942-vista-win7-fix.

-Changed audio Default Format from 16 bit 44100 Hz to all speakers on 24 bit and 44100 Hz.

-I uninstalled battlefield 1942 and downloaded it from Origin 

-Tried the Origin repair game feature

-Scanned my C:/  with error checking (right click, properties, tools) it found some unmentioned errors and fixed them

-Scanned from command prompt "SFC /scannow" No errors

-Defragmented the C:/  drive (was 31% fragmented)

-Downloaded battlefield_1942_gamespy_patch_v1.61.exe from emile44 and applied it

-Uninstalled the Origin game and reinstalled

-Tried the install battlefield_1942_patch_v1.6.19.exe patch (will not install due to having 1.06.101 battlefield)

-Tried the bf1942_patch_v1.6_to_v1.61b.exe (will not install due to having  version1.06.101 of battlefield)

-Tried unplugging my exterior speakers and using the towers built in speaker.

-Tried the Widescreen, FH Compatibility and 128 bots patch V2

-Tried disabling sound in-game (via disabling window audio via services.msc) and then relaunching with "windows audio" restarted.

They did not work. Anytime "Windows Audio" Service is enabled the game black screens on start up. However, Windows Audio can be restarted after the game launches allowing windows to have sounds, but the game is silent.

Anytime "windows audio" is stopped via the "services.msc" the game starts fine, but with NO sound.

#5 dodgem

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

This probably won't help your issue, but we also usually recommend running the game's executable as administrator as well as it being in compatibility mode (if you're not already). 

#6 Colonel Tavington

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

Did you try the Windows NT Service Pack 5 compatibility mode? 

#7 FriendlyNoob

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:18 AM

It did not require a Windows Reinstall or System Restore

It did require the following steps, with lesser attempts failing.

Complete Battlefield Uninstall with any related utilities also uninstalled that may have touched Battlefield ( Booster, Quicklaunch,  Game Camera ect ).  First pass didn't cut it for me on removal / Reinstall.  I used Revo Uninstaller and deleted all the associated registry keys and leftover files.  Opened Windows explorer deleted EA folders and anything remaining manually.

Reboot 

Swept Registry using Auslogics 

Reboot

Reinstalled using Myabandonware version of Battlefield and no additional patches.  ( Origin and CD versions have left me with some errors  ) 

It seems to work and audio is restored.      

A BIG THANK YOU! Posi's solution worked for me. After not being to play for almost a year (no sound). Everything works in game. I uninstalled, I used the Revo Uninstaller Pro Free Trial version, reboot, Auslogic Registry Cleaner, reboot and the Myabandonware patched version of the game (865 mb download) installed on my E:/ drive instead of my C:/ drive (E:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 1942). I had to launch directly from .exe in the game folder as the shortcut on the desktop did not work. I  I also updated my Realtek High Definition Audio driver using Driver Easy (2010 driver to the 2018 driver). That is it. 

The above programs found a lot of left over registry keys from battlefield 1942 and other problems. I don't know which of those steps was the magic bullet, but the game FINALLY works. All the programs were free trials. 

Interestingly when I had all this trouble the demo version 1942 secret weapons on the E:/ continued to fully load with sound minus the game spy network was down.

• posi likes this

#8 dodgem

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:50 AM

Posi is awesome! :)

Glad your game is now fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com