Photo

Menu music...

No replies to this topic

#1 Comet

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

The music you hear upon DoD:S loading after the initial Valve jingle can be altered to your liking, today I did just that.

Once complete I started up my game and all was well, the new .mp3 I had chosen worked. Several loads later, I don't recall how many, the original soundtrack was back....something was wrong. After double checking my renamed files everything looked proper, so why was I still getting the occasional original soundtrack. I thought to myself perhaps Steam added an additional sound file through an update, therefore I created a 5th file. I fired up the game half a dozen times in a row and all is well again, adding a 5th file appears to have resolved my issue.

I will now go through the steps involved in order for you to change your Menu music. This up to date tutorial will point out the parameters required to do so.

Steps involved.

1. Create a new folder within your sound folder, name it "ui". Follow the path below, this is where your chosen .mp3 files will go...

C:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\ACCOUNTNAME\day of defeat source\dod\sound\ui

2. Select your chosen .mp3 and put it into your new folder. The file chosen must be .mp3* format and no more than a bit rate** of 128 kbps otherwise it will not work. Higher quality files will have to be lowered, I'll come back to that later. The sample rate must be 44.100 khz, rather standard. Right click the .mp3 file and select Properties>Audio Properties, (XP users) this will show you all the figures of the audio file thereby determining whether or not adjustments have to be made.

3. Rename the file. Change the title to gamestartup, this will be immediately followed by the file number, 1 through 5, and ending in .mp3. Steam alternates the Menu music with several of their own therefore you'll need to address this by renaming the files 1 through 5. Once you have renamed your original file accordingly copy paste it an additional 4 times within your ui folder. Make sure to rename each file 1 through 5, once complete you should have an ui folder resembling this...

gamestartup1.mp3
gamestartup2.mp3
gamestartup3.mp3
gamestartup4.mp3
gamestartup5.mp3

4. Start up your game and have a listen, your chosen Menu music should be music to your ears.

*.mp3...

If your file is not .mp3 format you will need to convert it. There are many free utilities available on line to do so. If you have iTunes you can convert there, right click song and select Create MP3 Version.

**Bitrate...

Lets address whether or not your chosen .mp3 file bit rate needs to be lowered. Right click on the file and go to Audio Properties, (XP users) see if the file bit rate is no higher then 128kbps. I believe you will find most of your music files to be of higher quality. I've attached a free and safe utility called Switch Sound File Converter, feel free to d/l and install it to alter your bit rate. The preset bitrate is 128 kbps, the Output Format .mp3. Once you have chosen where you want to save the file simply drag and drop the .mp3 file and select Convert.

Attached Files

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com