Photo

Migration and You: What does it mean?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Warrior124

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

Again, as much as I LOVE my base I have now I'm for a fresh start over, because I feel it would help a little with the FPS issues. So, it's not just the non-admins who would be sacrificing here, but the rest of us as well. If this happens we may need to from the beginning implement our current building, and owned vehicles policies to keep item levels as low as possible.

#22 Lyn 2

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hi Guys,

Not sure if yall remember me, its been... well you know. Sorry to you Jimbo, but I vote for a new start. The main reason I stopped coming around is because I find that as much time as I play, there just is not any players. I get bord and just fall asleep. It's great when there are new players coming on to help. even starting over you know how it all works and can still help the new guys as you do missions. When no one is around, loot and build up again.

#23 birney

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

Look bottom line for me is this: I don't want to have to rebuild my main base for the third time, and the treehouse all over again.  I don't want to have to build the cinderwall at NEAF protecting all players while they trade from AI all over again.  All the fuel pumps at all the stations..the PvA base, that we JUST finished this weekend.  But, I will, if I thought we could get an fps object count increase.  For me, it is NOT my machine.  I can run Arma 2 offline at the max settings just fine.  But, when I get on our online server, I get the lag.  Like I said, I am for it, only if there is a benefit for the server as a whole. 

Hell, the vehicle count alone was worth the hacking done.  Sure, people lost things, in the way of keys, weapons, gems etc.  We had to go out, make some gold and buy them all over again.  It was a Db administrators nightmare...everyone needing a master key all over again, which was why I went to the Tues, Thurs, and Sat rule.  So, I could actually game on the other nights.  But, you know what..I think people had a blast finding all those helicopters, and such, and the benefit was..all those BS ladas that were all over the place that the kiddies were buying and leaving were now gone.   And you should have seen hero trader that weekend, we needed ATC to control all the inbound aircraft.

But, you are correct, it won't take some very long at all to have the places completely rebuilt.  Others start with a tent and some walls, and go from there.  Others, like Randigar who have much time than most of us, will be rebuilt inside of two days.  In the end, we'll do what people vote for and the majority will rule the day.

Right now..is the time to voice your opinion one way or the other.

sold!

#24 Randigar

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

LOL Tom you have never actually seen my base, my base was AWESOME I deleted it for the sake of players even though it took me 3 months to build, I actually miss new player reactions when they got to NEAF of OMG or WTF~!

• Captain John H. Miller likes this

#25 smegga

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:46 AM

when i play my fps are normally around 46, but when more players come on game it drops to 5 to 6 fps, have you tried to play a game for a few hours at 5 fps? it's not easy. most know my base and where it is, so i dont mind my base being wiped to start again, i will enjoy restarting as i will dig a hole in the ground and hide all my gold then when it restarts i will dig it up again. seriousy if it gives me a better fps i will happily lose the lot. just my pennies worth.

#26 Christopher

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

I'm good with a clean slate if you make the starting gun a dmr or something with a good scope so we can easily do missions and get money. It only has to be like a week or 2 with a dmr then we can go back to the m4. It doesn't even have to be a DMR it can be a sa58 acog or m16 acog.

#27 Lyn 2

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

@ Christopher- LOL

#28 Enforcer

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

With Hero status, like Tom said..find a vehicle.  Get to Klen, sell it.  Get to Hero - buy a DMR.  A clean start means vehicles EVERYWHERE!!  It shouldn't be a problem to get gold and get lots of it. 

Should we go that way..

#29 Christopher

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

It's kind of hard
To get humanity without easily doing missions.

#30 Lin

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

Have you ever run and completed a Naked & Afraid with a good group here? Most are weaponed up, doing missions, making gold etc by the end of one round. And of course, missions = humanity, so you're increasing your humanity while making money, what could be better? :)

#31 Lyn 2

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

Are you talking about player data base wipe also, or just a map data base wipe? If the player data is not wiped, you will still have your humanity score. If the hole thing is wiped. You should have no problem getting your hero status back. You know how to do the missions. Kill some roaming AI to get a gun and some ammo, sell a car or two for more gear, start doing missions for humanity.

#32 Christopher

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

Whole thing is being wiped

#33 Lin

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

If I don't know that for sure, you don't. ;)

Let's just wait until a management announcement to be sure, please.

#34 Enforcer

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

Don't think we were ever considering an entire player wipe.  Just a map wipe to get of all the objects that are on the map and are no longer used/needed.

And if you are killing missions, your humanity will raise very quickly vs, blood bagging your comrades. 

Lin is correct though.  We have started a round with nothing.  Naked and afraid means just that.  No CCO, no bandages, no anything.  First job..find a gun, any gun.  Second...kill an AI or two.  Now you have some tools, and some medical supplies, and maybe even a better gun.  Find a vehicle, get to a trader sell vehicle, buy a DMR and a cheap vehicle if you have enough.  Make your way to a blue or green mission.  Complete it.  And you are now loaded up with another vehicle to possible sell, use, all the ammo you need off the bodies and depending on what kind of mission, all the med supplies you need.  All without having to make a run into the major cities.  And there you go.  Outfitted in less than one round.  Now, you work on more gold to get an armored SUV and then get a chainsaw to get some lumber to make some walls.  Get a vault.  It doesn't really take all that long.

But, the point is..don't think we were going to wipe the player database, just all objects on the map.

#35 Christopher

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

So you keep you inventory items? And if we do too bad I can't fit 68 briefs in my back pack.

#36 birney

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:21 AM

I am Birney,

Long time listener first time caller, as far as dayz is concerned that is but not of course to Moongamers.

As many of you know I am a player in Dayz and have a base near the proud, hardworking yet lowly fisher-folk of the East and south coast of Chernarus.

I consider myself a relative 'noob' to the dayz world so much so that if this had been up for discussion prior to the vehicle nuke a few months ago I to and indeed was against any server swipe.  Today though I am more in favor of it than against.  In a discussion that is about the best interest of our server and affects everybody it would be wrong of us to be flippant about or ignore the opinions of those against it. They are also part of this server, this game and this community and this also affects them. What is equally important though is that  'against' does not mean wrong..

A few months ago I too would have argued some of the same points that Tom and John have made and more besides. The difference being between me than and them now  is that they have more to lose now than I had than.

Within six weeks of coming into the Moongamers dayz server I got 'lucky' I came across a player called Chase who was looking for somewhere to build a base and I after moving out of Smegga's place was looking for somewhere to call my own. Of course I had a plot pole which apparently helps  Enter stage left Admin Sgt. Barrett and overnight I had a base and I mean that literally.  I went to work at 8.30pm came home at 4.30am and there was a base ready and waiting for myself and Chase .I did not have to do all the buying crafting ;and building that most if not all of you have had to do. It is only in the past two months or so that I have actually started to make it my own and now we are talking about a wipe, how ironic.

A week or so before the vehicle nuke I had a discussion/debate in TS with other players about wiping the server and starting again. I must make it clear at this point that nothing was planned regarding a wipe, it was simply people thinking out loud that this may be the way we need to go. Some of the points bought by the pro-wipe support was and still are to me flawed. One such point was 'it will cut down on trouble makers'  In every game ever written there have been trouble makers and trolls or simply people coming from a server with  different rules. To actually think that a player loading into our server who is intent on 'trouble' would leave or go away cause we had wiped the server was simply being naive. We will have trouble makers this week, next week, next month no matter what we decide upon. Another argument that night was 'it will improve' teamwork'  Yet we had that anyway and we have it today.  From people picking up new spawns to helping building bases or buying equipment for players at hero who do not have hero status. We will have that teamwork between people irregardless of server wipe or not. This leads to the question Why have I or am I changing my mind regarding this when I was against it at one point.. To answer that I must go slightly off topic to get back on topic.

In every sport or pastime there are what I consider 'natural talent' and 'work-horses'  In tennis in the 70's for example the natural Talent was Bjorn Borg the work horse was McEnroe, In Soccer the natural was Maradona the work horse was Kevin Keegan..You can apply this to any sport or pastime including gaming.  Many years ago we had players in bf42 called Creamzor, Jason Bourne and no guts no glory who had natural gaming talent. They could in my opinion pick up any game and not only be good at it but kick ass.  i do not have natural talent at gaming, I will never be a great player. I have to work at the game and ask 'How to' questions often I am a 'work horse'

Within dayz Randigar and others have natural talent and some of us do not. I do not know if Tom has natural talent or has to work at the game but he does missions and has earned his stuff.. His arguments are part of the same thing I was scared of, that being loosing all the stuff and starting again..Even work horses gain experience, weather it be me,Tom, John or anyone else by playing the game we know where tool boxes and equipment spawn and this will help makes any wipe easier for us than we think..We as 'noobs' have just 'established' ourselves and don't want to give our stuff up, this is understandable. yet we have players and people who have played on this server, our server since its formation. They have built a base or two, have tons of 'stuff' and are 'super-rich' They have and are going to loose more stuff and gold in a wipe than some of us will ever accumulate. If these players, these people,  these friends are willing to give all that up to start again.for the benefit of our server than me with my 5 briefs of gold and six months in game as a player who got lucky will follow suit willingly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is as Birney from a player perspective but i feel I need to offer up more from a 'admin' perspective.While I am not a dayz admin  In my time here at moon I have been a admin, Snr and am now and have been for a while a Core admin. Before I go on please read the below carefully

There are two tasks that I absolutely hated doing both as a Snr and a core admin. The second from last being stepping down an 'admin' This was a person we had played with and against.spoke to in Ts and was a friend. Yet myself and Section8 within bf42 had to remove a few.   The only positive side that some of them came back.  The worst thing we EVER have to do as Core is to close a server/game. In that case we don't just say goodbye to one person, we may be saying goodbye to many many people we regard as friends. One makes you feel sick, many keeps you awake at night.(not a joke) Traditionally a server/game closure is discussed at core level, decided upon, and than passed down. In this case though we are not talking about a closure. but such is the importance of what we do next regarding this great little server of our that it has been thrown open to all. Over the years i have detested stepping down admins and closing servers so for once it would be nice to have the support of the player base,start afresh and continue to play with people I like on a smooth server.

Edited by birney, 21 April 2015 - 02:08 PM.
Wordsmith, tidy up

• Captain John H. Miller, SgtBarrett and Yojimbojohn like this

#37 Enforcer

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

Wow, long read Birney, but, well said.

#38 Christopher

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

That post was longer than the last paper I turned in.

#39 Thirteen

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:13 AM

I agree with Foze, long read yet well said.

#40 SgtBarrett

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

Well, I support the clean wipe...  LOL!!!!

Dang, I miss you guys...  It almost hurts, I really miss you guys...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com