Photo

Giza map

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kerfuffle

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

The other day we played the Giza map. (Thank you very much Corpse for rotating custom maps!)

Looks like it could be an interesting contest climbing up pyramids and sniping. Foggy Bottom will make you work at it.

However, the map is textured in fluorescent pink and black squares. Talk about hard on the eyes! Would it be possible to retexture the map? Some nice sand tones would be great, along with matching sand uniforms.

"The blood must flow."

#2 Lin

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

Ack! We must be working on an older map list, because I had that one remmed out due to that very issue.

I personally do not have the knowledge needed to fix it, but if someone here does and would like a shot at it, please let me know. Otherwise I'll get back in there and take it out of the list again.

#3 Kerfuffle

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

Ack! We must be working on an older map list, because I had that one remmed out due to that very issue.

I personally do not have the knowledge needed to fix it, but if someone here does and would like a shot at it, please let me know. Otherwise I'll get back in there and take it out of the list again.

Dear Lin:

Thanks for responding.

I took a quick look at the files of the Giza map if you do not download it from Moongamers through Steam. It includes a resource .txt file and a bunch of materials/giza .vmt and .vtf files, all of which are missing from my DoD Steam file set (and look pretty interesting in some cases). If these are the original Giza textures, then perhaps it's not a big fix to link these back together for someone in the know.

Here's a discussion about the issue - .bsp file linkage

#4 Kerfuffle

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Dear Lin:

I downloaded and used the Pakrat program to modify the Giza file, very nice. I added the missing textures into the .bsp file for Giza.

Worked like a charm! No more black and pink squares, but really nice textures. There's a Sphinx, a tomb, now it's a pleasure to cruise the map. I think players will appreciate this map and want to play it on the MG DOD servers.

The map size did increase from 2 to 6 MB. Do you want me to send this new version to someone at MG? If so, to whom, and how?

#5 Monkey

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

Was fixed earlier today. But thank you .. at least you have a new toy to work with for maps :)

#6 Kerfuffle

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

Was fixed earlier today. But thank you .. at least you have a new toy to work with for maps :)

Dear Monkey:

You cannot keep a good primate down. Thanks for fixing the map, as if you do not have a hundred other things to do for MG.

Just what I needed, a new software toy. I still haven't finished my BF1942 "monkeying around" list, much less make one for DOD. There must be some good way to make snow...

Nice seeing you in play in DOD.

#7 Kerfuffle

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

We played the revised Giza map on custom map Thursday yesterday. What a difference!!! Thanks again Monkey, and thanks to Corpse for putting it into rotation.

The map requires a high degree of cooperation, so it will meet with resistance in acceptance by some. Also, it is a very open map, giving a huge advantage to those with sniper rifles. Perhaps the team limit of 2 rifles can be lifted or at least raised on this map.

#8 Wasabi®

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

I gotta try this map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com