Photo

Kitchen Map Flags? - Rats Fixed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Rats Fixed Flag objectives (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Should flags be included into this map?

1. Yes (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. No (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

3. What's a flag? (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kerfuffle

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Rats Fixed is the DoD map in which players are rat sized and is played in a kitchen.

It's a lot of fun, but is usually time limited because it's all about killing until you are killed. There currently are no objectives.

This topic is to discuss is if flags should be added. Please feel free to give your recommendation for optional flag locations, such as the mousetrap or the stove top.

"The blood must flow."

#2 dj_spleen

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

I think to add flags to this would make it loose its appeal, to my knowledge its the only map we play that is just TDM. All of the other maps are objective based, which is awesome, but it is nice to have a map thats fun, and TDM.

If there were to be an objective I wonder if it could be king of the hill? like place a single flag on the middle of the floor, team work would have to be a factor, while one or two are holding the hill, others would have to pin down or take out snipers and MGS? Can this be done?

#3 LadyBadass

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

There is a TFC version with flag points in the lower freezer and across the room in the room with the gas canister.It is a capture the flag and take it home. That's TFC for you,though.
I do like the DoD:s version as it is ,though. The map is kinda small for flags.

IMO,
LB

#4 Redshirt

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

I would vote to keep it TDM, it has a nice flow for that. I'm not sure it's set up well for control points/flags.....but I could be wrong. I guess it would depend on where you were proposing to put the flags.....did you have any specific locations in mind?

#5 Lin

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

I would like to try the Flags version in the FF On server... :)

#6 Kerfuffle

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

I would vote to keep it TDM, it has a nice flow for that. I'm not sure it's set up well for control points/flags.....but I could be wrong. I guess it would depend on where you were proposing to put the flags.....did you have any specific locations in mind?

Well perhaps the question should be rephrased.

If there was to be a flags variant of the Rats_fixed map, where should the flags be?

I would suggest that a flag (or two) could be put on the kitchen floor. One each could be placed on the upper shelf area. Perhaps one on the stovetop and one by the clock.

One benefit of flags might be to draw some attention away from spawncamping.

Secondary question, if flags are placed on the floor, then should more objects be placed on the floor to provide cover?

#7 Red Dragon/Mushu

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

If there was to be a flags variant of the Rats_fixed map, where should the flags be? 1 flag on kitchen floor ..... that is all

I would suggest that a flag (or two) could be put on the kitchen floor. One each could be placed on the upper shelf area. Perhaps one on the stovetop and one by the clock. whats wrong with just putting one 3man cap flag in the middle of thre kitchen floor?

One benefit of flags might be to draw some attention away from spawncamping. Not Necessarily, considering spawn camping appears on any/all maps even with objectives. it is only more obvious on this map as there is no wall or barrier to block you from getting into the spawn area

Secondary question, if flags are placed on the floor, then should more objects be placed on the floor to provide cover? No Part of the joy and flow of the map is how wide open the main floor area and counter tops are, they provide a feeling of being small and exposed to view, just like a rl rat in a kitchen would if it went out onto the floor or counter

#8 Kerfuffle

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

If there was to be a flags variant of the Rats_fixed map, where should the flags be? 1 flag on kitchen floor ..... that is all

I would suggest that a flag (or two) could be put on the kitchen floor. One each could be placed on the upper shelf area. Perhaps one on the stovetop and one by the clock. whats wrong with just putting one 3man cap flag in the middle of thre kitchen floor?

One benefit of flags might be to draw some attention away from spawncamping. Not Necessarily, considering spawn camping appears on any/all maps even with objectives. it is only more obvious on this map as there is no wall or barrier to block you from getting into the spawn area

Secondary question, if flags are placed on the floor, then should more objects be placed on the floor to provide cover? No Part of the joy and flow of the map is how wide open the main floor area and counter tops are, they provide a feeling of being small and exposed to view, just like a rl rat in a kitchen would if it went out onto the floor or counter

Perhaps adding a bit of cheese object in the middle of the kitchen floor with a three man cap flag on top? Seems appropriate that cheese be the goal.

#9 Thumper

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

I have a hard time playing a map without an objective... just seems like a waste of 30 minutes, and I am not a fan of the spawn camping on this particular map, anything that can avoid these to issues I am all for.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it is a great map but without an ultimate goal it seems futile .

#10 Kerfuffle

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I have a hard time playing a map without an objective... just seems like a waste of 30 minutes, and I am not a fan of the spawn camping on this particular map, anything that can avoid these to issues I am all for.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it is a great map but without an ultimate goal it seems futile .

I feel your pain, but where should we apply the medicine?

#11 Thumper

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

I think 1 one 2-3 man marker in the middle of the floor would work but I also think that there should be some cover for the players that actually attempt to cap the flag otherwise it is a suicide run. While keeping in the "Kitchen" theme it's obvious that you don't want to litter the floor with random crap but would it be possible to put items on the floor to protect the adventurous cannon fodder?

Some suggestions for cover
Tin cans
Utensils
Food scraps
A step stool under the Ceiling Light and perhaps a flag under the step stool, that would prevent players from Parachuting directly on the flag and it would also protect the capping players from everyone camping and shooting directly at the flag from above

#12 Kerfuffle

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

I think 1 one 2-3 man marker in the middle of the floor would work but I also think that there should be some cover for the players that actually attempt to cap the flag otherwise it is a suicide run. While keeping in the "Kitchen" theme it's obvious that you don't want to litter the floor with random crap but would it be possible to put items on the floor to protect the adventurous cannon fodder?

Some suggestions for cover
Tin cans
Utensils
Food scraps
A step stool under the Ceiling Light and perhaps a flag under the step stool, that would prevent players from Parachuting directly on the flag and it would also protect the capping players from everyone camping and shooting directly at the flag from above

My first inclination was to surround the flag with sandbags made of rabbit pellets. Then I thought, how about putting it INSIDE an upside down Molson Canadian ale carton.

#13 Lin

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Or, make some objects on the floor mobile so those capturing the flag can opt to move in protection?

#14 Kerfuffle

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Or, make some objects on the floor mobile so those capturing the flag can opt to move in protection?

Good idea Lin!

The map could use some more dynamic (read mobile) objects. As flag-capturer-in-charge, I can see you rolling a beer bottle (from behind) towards the flag, with Thumper as your lateral meatshield.

#15 Redshirt

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Good idea Lin!

The map could use some more dynamic (read mobile) objects. As flag-capturer-in-charge, I can see you rolling a beer bottle (from behind) towards the flag, with Thumper as your lateral meatshield.

And then I could launch the beer bottle away with my zook....muhahahahaha

But seriously, I think a center multiperson flag, with some form of cover is not a bad idea.

#16 Sillyminion

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

I like the TDM style of the map. However, if flags were to be added having a dual cap flag on each end of the floor and a Molson Canadian Ale carton that is an easily blocked three cap flag (like the house on Colonia) could be a lot of fun as well.

#17 Kerfuffle

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Again, just to be clear, the original cdc_rats_fixed map without objectives is too beloved to mess up. So as I understand it, the original map will continue to be available as a custom map loaded by admins.

Now, as to an objective variant of the map, shall we take a tour?

Attached File  dod_cdc_rats_kerfdoorvents #0.jpg   186.8KB   7 downloads

That's right both of the axis cabinet doors now can be opened thorugh buttons placed inside the axis spawn.

Attached File  dod_cdc_rats_kerfdoorvents #1.jpg   160.57KB   8 downloads

Not to be outdone, the same is true for the allies cabinet doors.

Attached File  dod_cdc_rats_kerfdoorvents #2.jpg   138.86KB   6 downloads

Say that vent along the floor was not there before. I will leave it to your exploration of the map in game to find out where these go.

Attached File  dod_cdc_rats_kerfdoorvents #3.jpg   128.75KB   5 downloads

Nor were there metal grates in the floors

Attached File  dod_cdc_rats_kerfdoorvents #4.jpg   126.33KB   5 downloads

Shall we enter? You know Redshirt is down there with a zook. He is dressed up in a Minotaur outfit, no doubt.

Attached File  dod_cdc_rats_kerfdoorvents #5.jpg   113.23KB   5 downloads

Wow, there are also new vents high up on the walls. Look at that one on that new little shelf above the Axis freezer.

Attached File  dod_cdc_rats_kerfdoorvents #6.jpg   171.03KB   5 downloads

Looks like Thumper finally got around to changing the light bulb on the dial.

Could that vent lead to the new vent on the opposite wall?

Attached File  dod_cdc_rats_kerfdoorvents #7.jpg   156.3KB   4 downloads

You will have to play to find out.

This map is ready for installation. I will post when it is available for call as a custom map.

#18 Sillyminion

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

This map looks awesome. I look forward to being shot/blown-up/stabbed/shoveled on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com