Photo

Custom Map Customization

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom Map Customization (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want every other map selection vote to be ONLY for custom maps?

1. Yes (8 votes [88.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. No (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kerfuffle

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

Last night was Thursday, custom map night. Only the maps being selected were mostly stock.

In order to put the "custom" into Thursday, I suggest that at least every other set of map choices for player vote selection be ONLY custom maps.

Comments?
BTW, thank you admins for taking the time to investigate some of the lesser known custom maps. We have been introduced to maps like "snowblind", which can be a lot of fun to play.

#2 Thumper

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

I was adminning a few maps last night, on custom map night I make note to put 2 customs and a stock map into the vote, however it does seem that even though it is "advertised" as a custom map night, the majority of players (at least last night, while I was on) preferred stock maps as indicated by their vote.

If there isn't an active admin on to initiate a vote the maps will rotate through the stock maps. As you said, Snow-blind is amazing map IMHO and it is being requested more frequently as of late but it is also a big map so I shy away from it unless we have quite a few players. "Dust" was a new map that I tried last night as well, but what I didn't know was.... it was a loooong download (almost 5 minutes for me and maybe about 10 minutes for Smegga). Testing the waters with new maps can be hit or miss, unfortunately, even though "Dust" was voted in, due to the long D/L time it cleared the server, then it was back to more popular maps in order to re-populate the server.

BTW, My vote will always be for Snow-blind, my bunny slippers don't leave tracks in the snow!

#3 Kerfuffle

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

I was adminning a few maps last night, on custom map night I make note to put 2 customs and a stock map into the vote, however it does seem that even though it is "advertised" as a custom map night, the majority of players (at least last night, while I was on) preferred stock maps as indicated by their vote.

If there isn't an active admin on to initiate a vote the maps will rotate through the stock maps. As you said, Snow-blind is amazing map IMHO and it is being requested more frequently as of late but it is also a big map so I shy away from it unless we have quite a few players. "Dust" was a new map that I tried last night as well, but what I didn't know was.... it was a loooong download (almost 5 minutes for me and maybe about 10 minutes for Smegga). Testing the waters with new maps can be hit or miss, unfortunately, even though "Dust" was voted in, due to the long D/L time it cleared the server, then it was back to more popular maps in order to re-populate the server.

BTW, My vote will always be for Snow-blind, my bunny slippers don't leave tracks in the snow!

I understand the need to manipulate map selection to keep or gain a crowd. Clearly, admins should use their judgment and exchange ideas on which custom maps tend to hold or gain players and which do not. The reality is that until players try a map, such as Colonia, they don't know what they are missing.

We would not be hearing the Gutbomb chant of "Colonia, Colonia, Colonia" unless an admin took a chance. That's why I suggest that on custom map night, every other map selection be all custom. Obviously, sprinkling custom favorite maps in that selection would be prudent.

BTW, while I can no longer track the slipper marks, there is the matter of those little trails of pellets...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com