Photo

Terrible frame rate drop Source games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Langley

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

For the past year I have suffered horrible frame rates in source games. I finally decided to reformat and reinstall DoD:S and it did not change a thing. I use to get fps in the range of 100-150 and now it never gets over 60 and drops to 20 most of the time. This is only occurring in source games. Anyone else experience this and if so, any suggestions of what to do? I've tried latest drivers, old drivers and nothing.

AMD Athlon X2 4200+
2 gig ram
nvidia 8800GT

This machine runs BF2 wide open as well as the Bioshock games wide open with high frame rates.

Just to add, I've tried running in windowed mode at low res and everything on low and it does not change a thing.

#2 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I experience exactly what you described with DOD. I have no solution to the problem for I know little about puters.
It is why I seldom play DOD. There are times I enter game and it is moving at the speed of turtle.(or less). Like my player is attached to a tight rubber band.
I attempt to move forward. It appears my player is pulled back. Then when I am killed, I have no clue I was killed, until I see the respawn screen. I might be wrong, I think it alot to do with Steam.

#3 K9

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

I've seen a couple solutions for this fix on Google...

One person said to uninstall/delete the game from your computer, reinstall and then defrag.
The second said to run the game in windowed mode (as Langley has already tried)
A third said they switched from Windows 7 OS to Windows XP and then it worked perfectly.
A fourth said that since Steam is always collecting your stats in-game and writing it to a specific folder on your computer, your anti-virus is probably set to always scan new/incoming files and folders. Whitelisting the specific DoD:S game folder will release some pressure on your computer.
http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=1093560
The thread is for TF2... but DoD:S is pretty much the same. Account for the change in games when looking for the folders.

I'm not a computer person... but figured I'd see if I could find anything...

#4 Kerfuffle

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

I experience exactly what you described with DOD. I have no solution to the problem for I know little about puters.
It is why I seldom play DOD. There are times I enter game and it is moving at the speed of turtle.(or less). Like my player is attached to a tight rubber band.
I attempt to move forward. It appears my player is pulled back. Then when I am killed, I have no clue I was killed, until I see the respawn screen. I might be wrong, I think it alot to do with Steam.

Harry, toss a few bananas into the thread and see if Yeknom appears. While he is a-peeling, we can seek his advice.

:monkeydance:

He did a great job fixing the parachute problem.

#5 Langley

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

I decided to try an install of Windows 7 64 bit. Installed DOD and I'm back to normal. Could have been a combination of hardware, OS and drivers. Anyways, I'm good to go now.

#6 Lin

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Yay! So come play with us sometime!

PS...I saw you disconnect yesterday but I hadn't seen you in the server before that...or I would have said Hello!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com