Put your PC to work doing something useful

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#141 gensolo

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

is this still going on?

#142 cannonfoddr

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

well i don't know about anyone else but i still have a machine or two that are running this.....so yes

#143 Jack

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:19 AM

There is no end-date for the project. I still have 4 machines doing it, 2 with the CPU client and 2 with the faster GPU version.

#144 Rick

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

Ahh, I was about to make a topic, but too late now, ive been doing this for a year or so, Racked up alot of pts for OCN(team) and other OC sites, whats our team ranked? I get about 6000iters a second on basement(nvidia card) and only 700iters on my 4870. made a new name since my old one was back from 1942 and nobody knew it, so went with my fairly known name AMDRick, damn thing never updates no clue how I am only at 3500pts rofl.

LETS GET THIS GOING AGAIN! DL RUN DL RUN! if you got nvidia you can help ALOT since of damn cuda, a 30buck card beats my 150 card anyday so if you got any spare parts laying around just plug it and run.

Did not even notice my post above from 08, i was a noob back then haha

#145 Jack

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

http://fah-web.stanf...e&teamnum=51188

#146 Rick

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:52 PM

Guys, in THREE DAYS I got to number FIVE. Obviously nobody is left doing this, since it says there is 7 per week, and I am running on my ps3 and my comp overnight, it looks like our old members, who are now disinvited or banned( :( ) had alot of competition, shouldnt be for the biggest numbers but that your potentially helping a cause, I would one day rather know that I at least tryed to help them out whether they do or dont find a breakthrough rather than knowing I and others could have helped...Start seeding for MOONGAMERS 51188!!!!

#147 Jack

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:20 AM

What Rick said.

BTW, the GPU client is somewhat new and a lot of people still use the old CPU one. The GPU is much faster.

#148 Jack

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

Bump.

#149 GunnerKicknIt

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

How do you know it is running in the background. It said I had successfully installed it. lol
not sure what else to do. Also how do I get on the Team for MoonGames?

Never mind Cannonfoddr got me going :)

Edited by GunnerKickIt, 31 August 2009 - 11:29 PM.

#150 Jack

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

Awesomer :).

Just remember that if you are using the GPU version you may want to stop it when you play games.

#151 Jack

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:10 PM

Bump

#152 Jack

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:31 AM

Bump

#153 Rick

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

Havent folded in a few months, noticed im still in third, im rarely using my comp nowadays so maybe I will start running it again, I havent even played CODWAW in a few weeks, and if I did it was for a zombie game...

#154 Peanut Butter and Jam

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

wait so what exactly does this do?

anyways running it

#155 Jack

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:39 PM

What is protein folding?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Protein folding is linked to disease, such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers
Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help scientists studying these diseases by simply running a piece of software.
Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

Get it here http://folding.stanf...nglish/Download

#156 Jack

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

Bump!

#157 Jack

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

Bump

#158 Jack

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

For anyone with a new 5xxx ATI card, here is how to make the GPU work for you.

Install the GPU client. Go to c:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu
Right click on the Folding@home icon and select Send to Desktop.

Right click on the new shortcut you just created on the desktop and click on Properties. Go to the end of the command in the Target line (should be ...\Folding@home.exe").
Put in a space followed by -forcegpu ati_r700
Click Apply

That should do it. They will update the GPU for the new cards soon, but you can use this until they do.

#159 Jack

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

Bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com