Photo

Whoever kept taking the timer off maps on Friday...you're a lameoid

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Renlist

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

Twice  the admin (Posi?) who was onboard took the timer off for Market Garden, then did the same thing for Iwo Jima.  The map had been extended already by 16 minutes.  that makes it almost an hour playing just one single map.    THEN...with 600 Tickets left, the timer  got removed. That means almost another hour playing the same map, for a total of 2 freaking hours playing one map !!!!  

#2 posi

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:11 PM

The server was picked up off the floor shined up nicely and placed back on the wall in a glorious state.  

We have differed in opinion often sir.  Take your complaints against me directly to Sr. Admin or Core.  If I see them in game, in ALL CAPS as you felt the need to do, despite your long term loyalty and love for our server.  You risk a kick or ban.

#3 Renlist

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:18 PM

Yes, OK. I should take it to someone higher up who might respectfully advise you not to run marathons lasting about 4 hours within a 3 map timeframe. (map #2 was Liberation of Caen which lasted about 10 minutes due to Total Victory with only 22 players).  

On more than one occasion, you've extended the timer TWICE which is one thing I don't really mind, but then you've taken the timer off altogether after those timer extensions. 

Ever hear the expression  "too much of a good thing?

Yes, my opinion differs from yours in that regard, quite a bit so.

P.S.  I knew caps would get me kicked as I was about to quit anyways. I had to express my disappointment with "marathons" before I left. I didn't mention you by name.

#4 posi

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:39 PM

You should, I believe feedback would be helpful. They would look back and see my first change was on Tobruk with 6 people. The necessary hold on a common popular map.  The low worldwide population and other factors that go into the decision making process. 

I'm sorry we don't have as many wandering players as we did last month when the PR mod was in events and at least a few of those players would join our server when their events subsided.  Events you said were impossible that were set without so much as a notification to this community and relied solely on new downloads.

I get that my opinions carry no weight with you personally sir.  Rest assured there is a team of Admins and you will be able to play with other Admins in the lead who may have a slightly different approach to oversight. 

#5 Jubilee

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:41 PM

Normally, I absolutely detest extended timers on maps, especially on Iwo. However, in this case the score was neck and neck nearly the entire time. It turned out to be a good ground fight, despite the prince and air domination. 

#6 Renlist

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:46 PM

With 600 tickets remaining on both sides, after having played MG and IWO map for well over an hour each, it can get excruciatingly long to finish the map and move on.

It happened twice within just a 3 map timeframe.  About 4 hours for 2 maps and a quickly won Liberation of Caen.  I don't mind if it's close and the timer is taken off, but 600 tickets remaining????  After having played the map for well over an hour each?  Golly Jeesh!

#7 Jubilee

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:07 AM

We didn't go down to all the tickets. There was a timer on at the end. I dunno if it was taken off then put back on, but it was on at the end.

#8 Renlist

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:49 AM

Well...whew!  Thank goodness for that!   I felt it was pretty much like starting the game over 3 times straight when I got booted. I wanted it to end and move on.

I appreciate wanting the number of player participation at that time to continue, but let's not overdo it please.

I wanted to edit out the heated "lameoid" part of my header post after awhile, but there's no option to do so that I can see. Clicking  the "Use Full Editor" feature didn't allow me to.

#9 Grassy

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:48 AM

Let me chime in on this from a Senior Admin standpoint...when the flags keep going back in forth...and the tickets are reasonably close we extend the timer in increments and monitor the game play.

Creating a memory for the players of a great and close game is good customer service...we understand for some this may be not "their cup of tea".

However we simply serve the "good of the many" as in the server population. 

Ren you have been around a long time and are a great player and we value your opinion and patronage, if you have any concerns please bring them here and we can talk about them.  When admins are in the server working it is difficult to discuss or debate opinions and procedure.

Posi you had your finger on the pulse of the server and are commended for handling the situation the way you did..Jubilee thanks to you as well...you are both fine admins and do an excellent job!

Best Regards,

Grassy-Senior Admin

#10 Renlist

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:01 AM

Keeping a good thing going is good.  As long as it's not overdone.  Keeping a good thing going too long?  Not a good thing.  

I look forward to a conclusion, having fought hard for a team.  Having played for and extended hour on the map, then have the timer taken off at 600 tickets? (another 40 minutes?).  Not a good thing.

It can get needlessly exhausting, even for a fan of BF1942 Moongamer play, when basically... 2  maps go on for 4 hours, like it did today.  MG and Iwo.

Too much of a good thing can sometimes be too much of a good thing...good intentions appreciated.  I felt like that was the case today.   I felt a little drained when I saw the timer taken off MG and it went on for another 45 minutes.  I felt even more drained when a map after a short Liberation of Caen  ended...and  the timer was taken off Iwo  when we had been battling that map for over an hour...with another 40 minutes to go when suddenly the timer was take off. 4 hours...basically only 2 maps.  Needlessly exhausting.

#11 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:11 AM

Keeping a good thing going is good.  As long as it's not overdone.  Keeping a good thing going too long?  Not a good thing.  

I look forward to a conclusion, having fought hard for a team.  Having played for and extended hour on the map, then have the timer taken off at 600 tickets? (another 40 minutes?).  Not a good thing.

It can get needlessly exhausting, even for a fan of BF1942 Moongamer play, when basically,  2  maps go on for 4 hours, like it did today.  MG and Iwo.

Too much of a good thing can sometimes be too much of a good thing...good intentions or not.

There is only one real conclusion to a round, one side ends up with 0 tickets.

I rather have one awsome long round and feel exhausted afterwards, than playing 10 bad rounds with no satisfaction.

• Grassy, Grinch and Eliminator like this

#12 Renlist

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:19 AM

I understand and appreciate that.  Only...wow.  We moved on to the next map after MG was "marathoned"  ( followed by a short total victory Liberation of Caen)...then Iwo got "marathoned".  IMO...too much marathoning even if it was to keep that map and this server popular with 36 playing.   Let's not get too desperate.

#13 Lin

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

I do not believe you understand our particular culture here, Ren.

We started with a single server running a single map with tickets that counted up and not down. We grew up on 3-4hr and even longer marathon games, that's all we did here for the first few years. A few of the admins here now, were admins here then. There is still a measure of population that does not feel as you do, and actually appreciate the longer times on a map, to once more play them as EA intended. It does not happen often, and it is up to the admin running  maps to make the decisions about the pulse of the server. And honestly, I mean no offense when I say that your voice alone does not equate to a pulse.

There aren't many servers left. We have a certain baseline culture here that most are aware of...base camping, for example. As much as we try to please different playing personalities, it can always be said, and should be said often to remind those who forget, that you just can't please everybody all of the time. What you can do, is to take admin decisions gracefully, and have the courtesy to allow the rest to play in a more pleasant environment. That is all we ask of our guests.

• Grassy likes this

#14 Renlist

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

The culture is to keep a 2004 game from dying off, I get the idea.

Can I have another warning point? I want to be more of a rebel.

#15 Steve2112

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

Let me chime in on this from a Senior Admin standpoint...when the flags keep going back in forth...and the tickets are reasonably close we extend the timer in increments and monitor the game play.

Creating a memory for the players of a great and close game is good customer service...we understand for some this may be not "their cup of tea".

However we simply serve the "good of the many" as in the server population. 

Ren you have been around a long time and are a great player and we value your opinion and patronage, if you have any concerns please bring them here and we can talk about them.  When admins are in the server working it is difficult to discuss or debate opinions and procedure.

Posi you had your finger on the pulse of the server and are commended for handling the situation the way you did..Jubilee thanks to you as well...you are both fine admins and do an excellent job!

Best Regards,

Grassy-Senior Admin

Oh...I didn't know Jubes was admin. 

And yeah...sometimes a map can go on a long time, too long. I like when admin takes a quick vote- whether I agree or not. At least it's a "pulse" and not an executive/overlord decision. 

• Spare Parts likes this

#16 posi

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

I'd prefer the experience and judgement of the Admin team.  The most common thing you see is an audible vote is that the requesting player doesn't even show up for the map they asked for.

An occasional multiple choice vote is ok when our numbers our good.  When our numbers our great, you don't have to worry about voting for the larger maps that get less play.  The Admin team is right there to seize the opportunity and add as much diversity to the rotation as possible for you.  

• Steve2112 likes this

#17 Steve2112

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

Alright posi...fair enough. An example that people have differing opinions, I hope all are as valuable as any other!

#18 mexican eskimo

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Normally, I absolutely detest extended timers on maps, especially on Iwo. However, in this case the score was neck and neck nearly the entire time. It turned out to be a good ground fight, despite the prince and air domination. 

I like extended timers, especially if it's a competitive game on one of those maps like IWO that's good for everyone.  I do get annoyed when it's dropped off super early in the round, or one team is just destroying the other and it gets extended.  

• Jubilee and Grassy like this

#19 Grassy

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for understanding Ren and Steve, as always we encourage you to post in the forums, we do value all of our patrons!

Posting in the forums gives the Admin team a chance to explain the "how and why" and allows the admins to monitor the server without getting into a huge debate or conversation in game.

#20 Renlist

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:59 AM

Manipulate the boundaries to maintain interest. I understand that.  Only...after an hour of back and forth good fighting (all players there from map begin), taking off the timer and leaving 600 credits on each side to slowly....slowly...slowly  count down is a bit much.  It's not so bad if it's a Sunday night game when Market Garden ends up being the "featured" map of the night.  Just don't make me wonder wtf? sometimes. Friday night, the server would probably have stayed near 24 vs.24 if we went on to the next map. Friday nite...weekend !   We had rocked that map for over an hour. I was amped to go onto the next map,  I was agog when the timer got turned off with 600 tickets on each side. To me that meant another 45 minutes...making it an hour and half map. Not sure if I wanted to join the next map.  Too drained.

Sunday is fine to marathon a map.  Market  Garden.  The featured map of the night.  Please don't marathon 2 maps so close together on Fridays. It kills the buzz of it being a weekend. 

P.S. I'm sticking this in the Suggestion box. As such, there's no need for further feedback posts from founders and admins. It's like a slip of paper you insert into a box with some writing on it, never expecting a reply...lol.

Ok by me to lock this post, just like a suggestion box has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com