Loading Time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DC Medic Man_*

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:14 PM

My computer seems to take forever to load a BF1942 level. I can start Battlefield 1942 in about 30 seconds and go to multiplayer, select Moon Omaha Beach (of cource) and clicm join, i connect instantly and it starts loading "Omaha Beach" It can take like 10 minutes to load it up and start the game. My computer is a AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512 MB of Ram. This is a problem in Singleplayer and Multiplayer. Also, when i reformat my hard drive and reinstall everythink the load time is nice and quick (2 min) but over time (even if i dont install anything) it take longer and longer. Could it be my Hard Drive. (40GB 5400RPM) I know its kind of slow.

#2 kaiserD

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:16 PM

it can be many things. processor speed, physical memory, things like that. with only 256 mb of RAM, that might be part of your problem. it's probably not the hard drive, because that has little to do with loading the levels. could also be your processor, but it might be other things. let some of the smarter computer guys advise you on this.

#3 Guest_DC Medic Man_*

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:20 PM

it can be many things. processor speed, physical memory, things like that. with only 256 mb of RAM, that might be part of your problem. it's probably not the hard drive, because that has little to do with loading the levels. could also be your processor, but it might be other things. let some of the smarter computer guys advise you on this.

it could be the hard drive because the speed 5400 RPM 7200RPM etc. is how fast it spins and the speed that the data can be read so I think it right be that. Also, I messed up on the RAM I have 512, I just added 256 and i keep forgetting! I will fix it above! B)

#4 LeadPoison

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:58 PM

If its better when you reformat then you probably need to defragment your hd at least once a week and see if that helps. The HD speed might have something to do with it too, Get a 10,000rpm hd before you buy anything else, they aren't that expensive.

#5 Guest_DC Medic Man_*

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:44 PM

If its better when you reformat then you probably need to defragment your hd at least once a week and see if that helps. The HD speed might have something to do with it too, Get a 10,000rpm hd before you buy anything else, they aren't that expensive.

I defrag weekly and I think that it is the speed. I'm gonna get one of the 7200 rpm because i want a large HDD and the 10000 dont come in 150 GB or 200 GB

#6 kaiserD

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:42 PM

I defrag weekly and I think that it is the speed. I'm gonna get one of the 7200 rpm because i want a large HDD and the 10000 dont come in 150 GB or 200 GB

150-200 GB hard drives = massive amounts of pr0n!

#7 LeadPoison

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

You could always use a 10,000 rpm hd for gaming and and a larger one for your pr0n files ;)
There is no law that says you can only use on HD, I use two myself.

#8 kaiserD

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:37 PM

what RAID array do you use...(not quite sure what that is, but i've heard it in reference to hard drives - :lol: )

#9 LeadPoison

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:09 PM

RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) is a system developed whereby two or more disks are physically linked together.

I use my integrated GigaRAID (IT8212) ATA RAID Controller and "RAID Manager" the utility that comes bundled with with the RAID Controller hardware.

It ain't as hard as it sounds....

#10 kaiserD

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:22 PM

:huh:

j/k, i get it. i only have one hard drive, no RAID here... <_< :lol:

#11 bbb

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:59 PM

i think you'd have to fucking insane to only have one hard drive! :lol:
having two provides A LOT of protection from data loss, if i had only one, i would have shot myself a few months ago! :lol: big crash, all of C, dead! but my good buddy D was totally fine! B)

i got like 800 ram :rolleyes:

#12 kaiserD

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:53 PM

my hard drive has never "crashed" and i have never had problems with it. i have an 80 GB (only 74 or so) hard drive and its fine. im using about half of it right now. i defrag it regularly, so i dont have problems. plus, i dont need the extra space for pr0n!! lol. everytime i ping out while in-game, lin always tells me to stop downloading pr0n. i just tell her im not...whethere she believes it or not is the question... ;)

#13 Enforcer

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:16 AM

I would say if you have it, invest in a second hard drive. I have the stock 40 gig HD for the day to day computer stuff, and I went out and bought a 120 Gig Seagate for my gaming stuff. Keeps the two separate in the event of a crash.

It also may be your connection to the internet. At what speed are you connecting. It just takes that long to communicate with the server and get all the information on where the peeps are and what they are doing...

#14 Guest_DC Medic Man_*

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:55 PM

Here is what my setup will be:

Primary ATA
1 5,400 RPM 40GB Maxtor (what i have now, will be used as backup)

Secondary ATA (i dont want to mix slow and fast HDD)
1 10,000 RMM 36GB Western Digital RAPTOR

Add-In Card
1 DVD 8X +R + RW -R -RW (Sony)
1 CD-RW 54/48/54 (Generic)

That Good?

#15 LeadPoison

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:23 AM

Should be.

#16 Guest_Foomypoo_*

Posted 12 May 2004 - 01:19 PM

Anyone know why I can load the Moon Omaha server ten times faster then any regualar single player level??????????? :withstup:

#17 Guest_DC Medic Man_*

Posted 12 May 2004 - 03:55 PM

Anyone know why I can load the Moon Omaha server ten times faster then any regualar single player level??????????? :withstup:

It is cause it is loading the AI also. There is no AI in the multiplayer. Or is there.... some of thge players on this server (mostly n00bs) act like the AI on easy... :blink:

#18 Guest_Foomypoo_*

Posted 12 May 2004 - 05:52 PM

It is cause it is loading the AI also. There is no AI in the multiplayer. Or is there.... some of thge players on this server (mostly n00bs) act like the AI on easy... :blink:

Never thought of that...thanks THink I will stop bitching at my computer for a while :shoot:

#19 Guest_DC Medic Man_*

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:27 PM

Never thought of that...thanks THink I will stop bitching at my computer for a while :shoot:

also, some levels are less complicated. i.e. tobruk will load faster than Cain cause Tobruk is flat and desert and has no scenery except some building that are almost the same. Cain has water, land, bridges, buildings, grass, weeds, flowers, u get my point.

#20 kaiserD

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:11 PM

weeds

i knew those canadian guys were smokin' joints... :D :lol:

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com