Photo

Need help overclocking (im a newb)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 DeathsGuard

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

Is there any guide to help overclocking. When i overclock my system, i think i put the cpu speed too high so it auto shuts off if I try to raise it from 2.4 ghz to around 2.7

Is there any helpful online guide to help a guy out with overclocking

#2 The Xevious

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:36 PM

If you have doubts, or if you are inexperienced, dont do it. You are risking overheating your chip or zapping it with too much voltage and causing it to break.

#3 DeadlyDon

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:37 PM

Simple rule:

If you need to ask how to do it, then you shouldn't do it!

Overclocking, properly, is not for newbs!!!!

#4 JJ

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:01 PM

I am playing with it, but I have backed it all the way down again.......Listen to X he know's his stuff.......

#5 chinesemaster006

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

Yeah really, if your power supply is a generic one, you risk blowing up your whole system, which includes the Motherboard, Video Card, Power Supply, and lose of data in Hard drive.

#6 Boondock Saint

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

Dont listen to them......I say crank that bad boy up till the insides glow like a toaster.......

#7 The Xevious

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:31 PM

Yeah really, if your power supply is a generic one, you risk blowing up your whole system, which includes the Motherboard, Video Card, Power Supply, and lose of data in Hard drive.

There is very little risk belonging to your power supply, turning from .10v to .15v will not stress it that much. :P

This is a bad result: http://video.google....oding processor

#8 Meyer

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:58 AM

I was playing i little too much on my hardware 2 weeks ago. I had a major meltdown. I burned both my 7800 GTX, my CPU and my motherboard. If you dont know how, dont do it.

#9 Wasabi®

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:58 AM

Don't. Overclock. Period.

#10 JJ

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:26 PM

Dont listen to them......I say crank that bad boy up till the insides glow like a toaster.......

Boon, do you have a dustpan and the website for NewEgg...............shit and a sponge theres a green slimy goo..........{OTC} JJ

#11 Boondock Saint

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

You just need a reboot....no cause for alarm...... :banned:

#12 JJ

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:47 PM

No Boon, the alarm came with all the SMOKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 Boondock Saint

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

Ah that's just the puter warming up.....all is well......

#14 JJ

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:39 PM

My bulb may be flickering, but I have a cocktail weenie on a pencil..........got mustard.....
I think we need to shutter down Zeke, she's sizzling........

#15 Cosa Nostra

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

I overclock and love it,
1)if you want to overclock....dont do it on anything your not afraid to blow up.
2)first learn how to overclock here is a good place to start http://www.overclockers.com/
3)you need a mother board that makes it easier to OC I use a Asus and AMD cpu
4)the Asus is set up to OC the AMD isnt,you first have to unlock the chip,you can learn how to do that yourself,I wont get into it here
5)if you just want to OC your video card you can do that with drivers,I dont as much anymore,a small change can be alot in game,it will look like its pixel raining if you go to far.

just keep in my mind if you want to OC,its your choice,and if you screw up its your mess,dont blame anyone for it.

#16 Animal Mother

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

I'm with Cosa Nostra,DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!
Another good site is Extreme Overclockers.com.
I've been OC'ing for years..........love it.....do your research and suck up as much info as you can and your GTG!
I have a P4 2.4 running at 3.2 in my current rig now for 2 years,air cooled...no problamo!

Later
OC'ing is fun!!!!

#17 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

I have a P4 2.4 running at 3.2 in my current rig now for 2 years,air cooled...no problamo!

What sort of temperatures do you register? What's the room temperature? The mobo temp? The proc temp?

#18 DeathsGuard

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:19 PM

Ok..so i oc'd to 2.6 ghz from 2.4...and im running my video card at 105 mhz freq.

Im getting 150 fps in cs:s...but then when i wait a while it just turns off cs and windows out. When i try to get back in it just reboots my system. Any help?

#19 chinesemaster006

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:20 PM

Try doing something I did.
"Professionally" built in-store
Generic 300Watt PSU.
P4 3.0
512 dual channel generic ram
ati 9600 256mb
4 hard drives
1 dvd burner
1 cdrw burner
1 steel case
and a generic heatsink.

Temperatures Registered.
CPU: 76 degrees celsius.
Motherboard: 62 degrees celsius.

Call the store, they say, yeah yeah that's normal.
Ok I don't care, it's under warranty. Leave some downloads on, and head of to work. When I come back home, I smell burnt plastic smell, and the computer ain't working. Bring it to the store, they tell me my mobo blew, my ram chip are dead, 2 hard drives have bad sectors.and the power supply overheated.

Same thing happened 4 times, until someone figured it was time to change the case and power supply. So I got a TT Shark case and a Enermax 480 watts psu. They threw in a TT Hardcano 12, so I can constantly check my temperature and set my fans. That small upgrade "only" cost me nearly $400 CAD. Which I didn't really care.

Now my temperature is on average:
CPU: 40 degrees celcius
MOBO: 34 degrees celcius

#20 The Xevious

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:27 PM

If you go into your BIOS it will have an option for auto-shutdown at a certain temperature. Mine has where it gives you a list, which goes from 60 to about 80. This tells you that being at 60 is not a good idea, as it is an option here. These degrees are usually in C not F.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com