Photo

Upgraded my machine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 Capt. Conair

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:56 PM

So, about a month ago i got a 2.8 ghz processor and a new motherboard... which would allow me to play BF2. my old processor was 1.4ghz (bleh). Then about a week ago, i got 512mb more RAM to give me a total of 1024. I thought I'd have virtually no lag on regular BF, but nope. I still get the same amount of lag as before (it actually seems like more sometimes), and I can still only play on servers with 20 or less people. Preferably 15 or less.

Does anyone know whats wrong? or did i install something wrong? :throw:

#2 PuCkBuNnY

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

Is your ping bad at these servers? Anything about 150max and 150 isn't pleasant to play on will have loads of lag. Cause you pc sounds just fine and dandy to play BF. :)

#3 Limpnoodle

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:20 PM

It is lag from your connection or is it lag because your system is running low on resources? You could have an uber comp. but if your connection sucks then you will have lag.

-Limp

#4 King of the Squirrels

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:53 PM

OK, Conner check these thing for us. Download a program called tuneup utilities 2004 from downloads.com. Install it and run one click maintance. You get a free 30 day trail and it should fix alot of windows issue. Also what speed is you hard drive and have you ever defragged it? Also have you ever check for spyware. Use adware and spybot to get rid of stuff that hiding.

Report back and we will see what we can do. :bop2:

#5 paper_gh0st

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

also run hijackthis if u manage to find it on the net but it will clean out ure whole hd for worms and what not. jus make sure u know what ure deleting cuz it can detect firefox as a worm.

#6 Capt. Conair

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:52 AM

Thanks Squirrel... I did all of that and found a fair amount of problems, but i still get the same amount of lag. I defrag about once a month and did it yesterday, but that didnt seem to make a difference either. Finally, how would i find the speed of my hard drive, and if it is my internet connection, how could i improve that?

Thanks for the help.

#7 Lin

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

Have you power cycled your modem recently? It's possible your ISP has made changes to your service, and power cycling will complete that process.

#8 Snake

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:04 AM

What type of video card do you have?

#9 Jack

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:41 AM

Does the lag you get consist of: 1) reload bug from hell, 2) running into things when you think you are well clear of them, 3) ghosts (random soldiers appear right by you in the middle of bfn for a second), 4) rubber bullets, 5) 4 nades, 6) not being able to cycle between weapons, etc.?

And as Snake said, what is your vid card? The CPU upgrade should help you, but most of the time the vid card is a prob.

Finally, are you on a network at home or not? If you are, make sure you are the only one on when yoo play.

Try this link

http://www.the-armor...read.php?t=2241

#10 Capt. Conair

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:00 AM

Lin, how would i power cycle my modem? :huh:

Jack and Socal, I've got a Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 128 mb, and my lag consists of all six of those, all the time.

At home, I'm connected to my other computer's internet with a wireless Linksys thing. That may be the problem.

#11 Jack

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:46 AM

Welcome to my world. Change the vid card or try to OC it if you know what you are doing. Nvidia's Coolbits is pretty easy to use.

As far as the network, get wired if you can.

One thing you may want to try is buy a card from a place that gives refunds on them. Take it home, use it for a day and see if it helps. If it does not, bring it back. If you get an Nvidia card you will be able to use the same drivers.

BTW, do you have all the latest drivers for your vid card, audio, mobo (GART and all those good things), etc.?

#12 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:33 PM

Define Lag. Do you mean that you game stutters? Or are you pinging out?

If it is your connection, check DSL Reports

Use 2 tests: Speed Test and Tweak Test

go from there.

#13 Lin

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

Power cycling is just what the ISP calls it, it means turning the power off of your modem to clear the onboard memory. If you have a router you might want to power cycle that at the same time. Then boot up the modem until it's ready, bring up the router and let it go through its testing stages, and then your computer.

#14 King of the Squirrels

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:52 PM

:bop2: Basically Just unplug them "router and modem" form the wall/ power strip. Let stay unplug to several minutes and clear thier memory. It will not hurt them. follow lin instruction I bet this help out too.

#15 Timmy

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:30 PM

if ur problem is that persistent then call ur internet provider and they should fix it for free

#16 Afrika Korps

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:17 PM

I would upgrade the Graphics Card if I had the cash.

An ATi 9600XT 256mb would run it nice and smooth. The card you have right now is equivalent to the Ati 9200.

I have a nVidia GeForce 2 MX. And I rawk it hawrd.

#17 pr0nasaurus rex

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:37 AM

The wireless networking should have virtually ZERO effect on performance. When playing lan games on my home wifi network, pings stay below 20 all the time.

On my 1.5mbps cable internet, on CS1, i usually get 40-60 ping. You should have no connection problems with broadband.

If you have dialup, you need to get broadband. I hate to say it, but it's become quite impossible to play games decently on 56k.

The GF FX5500 is probably your problem. The 5500 is terrible; I doubt it's even as good as a GeForce 4 MX440.

Get a GeForce 6600GT AGP for about $200, or, if your budget allows, a Radeon X800XL AGP for roughly $300.

#18 Vassilij Zaitsev

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

:lol:

#19 adinar

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

Definitely do a DSL speed test & tell us what your download/upload speeds are. You still haven't said definitively if you have broadband?

What kind of pings do you get in game? Again, where you are located geographically will affect this.

What are your video settings in BF1942 set to? Option->Video (Custom, high, med, or low)? You may want to try running it at the lowest settings (custom, turn everything down, or off) to see if that helps.

For example, I have broadband (1.2Mbps connection), ping of anywhere btw 20-30, but am running a measly Geforce2 Ultra, but the game is definitely playable (little lag, little jerkiness) when I'm running the absolute lowest settings.

#20 Capt. Conair

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:05 PM

I'm pretty sure I have broadband... my download speed is about 1800 kbps, and my upload speed is just above 400 kbps.

I live in CO and usually get a ping of around 60-70.

All of my settings are turned down except for texture quality, which is at 60%.

It probably is my vid card, so I'll save up $200 and get one. Gahh, I'm broke after my "upgrade" though. <_<

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com