Photo

How to make BF1942 work with with windows 8.1

windows 8.1 crashes to desktop black screen direct x

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hassan Zia

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hi all..

i've been playing this awesome game for many years, maybe many of you would have played with me (-=WenGerZ=- Hassan Zia) ,
but about 9 months ago i bought new hardware and upgraded to windows 8.1, and since then it's been impossible for me to play bf1942.

my problem is when i start  the game in full screen then it goes black and a few seconds later it crashed to desktop with an error sound in background (but i don't see any error msg).
and if i change display mode to windowed then an error msg appears on screen featuring "this game requires at least dx 8.1 or later and your direcx version is (i don't remember what version it stats, but it is like 11111111111111111)." and then it asks whether to ignore the error or abort. and if i chose ignore then i'm able to play it for time being but in windows mod only and that ain't any fun and more worse thing that even windows mod work only for first two times then nothing happens either..

i'm desperately waiting to get this thing fixed...

here are my specs:

Attached File  Screenshot_98.png   26.7KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot_99.png   22.29KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot_100.png   22.67KB   0 downloads

#2 shavo

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hi. Common problem. Please read:

http://www.moongamer...showtopic=64416

Also go in and remove update: kb3086255

Make sure your video card isnt set on high resolution to start. If it is the game crashed trying to play BF42 no matter what.

#3 Hassan Zia

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:15 AM

Make sure your video card isnt set on high resolution to start. If it is the game crashed trying to play BF42 no matter what.

how to delete this update? as my updates aren't working since few months... 

my desktop resolution is 1366 x 768 and orientation is landscape... 

and i didn't get "If it is the game crashed trying to play BF42 no matter what.".... 

#4 Hassan Zia

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:27 AM

i checked my update history but lucky me i never installed this update ... 
so this ain't the problem

#5 Dawg

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

Try reinstalling bf, updating your directx, and running it in compatibility mode (I have it set to Windows NT 4.0).

#6 shavo

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:40 AM

how to delete this update? as my updates aren't working since few months... 

- The update is in your add/remove programs.  "show windows updates" This update causes many different issues.

my desktop resolution is 1366 x 768 and orientation is landscape... 

and i didn't get "If it is the game crashed trying to play BF42 no matter what.".... 

- Sorry, typed faster than I was thinking.

I meant if the game crashes out right away, change the resolution of your desktop monitor lower. The game [IMHO] isnt played in high resolution so what happens, and its happened to me is the game crashes out because of the difference in resolution.

Try to make the game and your desktop the same.

#7 Hassan Zia

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

So i made it work finally, today. my battlefield 1942 is up again after 1 and half year. 
actually i accidentally came to know that direct play isn't enabled by default in windows 8.1 and 10, as in these operating system this is considered a legacy component, as bf1942 requires direct play to run so anyone who's facing this issue (instant crash to desktop when game is launched) needs to enable direct play.
How to enable it? 

1) right click on your windows icon (start button you can say)
2) open "programs and features" the top most option

3) open "turn windows features on or off"

4) find "Legacy Components" and expand it

5) Do "check" the "direct play"

6) click "OK" 

it would take a while and after it's done, you are all set to go. now your game won't crash to desktop, enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com