Photo

Video Card -Please Help!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bets

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

I just installed a new video card in my computer...Radeon 9550...I can play the game for a little while without issues...but after a while the graphics get all jumpy and I can't hardly move. I have updated the BIOS, I have downloaded the ATITool and have done everything I can think of to fix this problem....If anyone can help me fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going through game withdrawls here!

Bets

I have the latest catalyst for the card and when I went to the web-site for trouble-shooting....they had the display studdering problem listed, but their answer for it was download 5.3 or higher catalyst...I have 5.11....and still have the proplem....what now?

Edited by Bets, 23 November 2005 - 05:17 PM.

#2 Jack

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:41 AM

What is the rest of your system?

#3 cowhead_cow

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:59 AM

edited my post because i realized that it was stupid and didnt help solve the problem

Edited by cowhead_cow, 24 November 2005 - 01:18 PM.

#4 Boondock Saint

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:06 AM

How much would you appreciate it?....err...hmmmm

#5 Hydlide

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

Based on what i'v heard so far it can be a couple of things:
- Catalyst conflict
if based on software issue, i know one thing that catalyst might do when upgrading from one vid card to another is screw up the video system (especially the filtering stuff etc). I would suggest uninstall Catalyst before upgrading.

- Heat problem
Try to play the game with an open case, see if that solves the choppy issue, if it does then look for some cooling solutions (I prefer Zalman, or Coolermaster in those cases)

- Watt output
Hence a new video card might be more demanding on juice, it might also be wise too upgrade the main power supply

#6 Bets

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:14 PM

How much would you appreciate it?....err...hmmmm

lmao...ya tard!!!...lol
Bets

What is the rest of your system?

like what? Its a compaq presario desktop...I am running windows xp home edition....what else ya wanna know?

Bets

Based on what i'v heard so far it can be a couple of things:
- Catalyst conflict
if based on software issue, i know one thing that catalyst might do when upgrading from one vid card to another is screw up the video system (especially the filtering stuff etc). I would suggest uninstall Catalyst before upgrading.

- Heat problem
Try to play the game with an open case, see if that solves the choppy issue, if it does then look for some cooling solutions (I prefer Zalman, or Coolermaster in those cases)

- Watt output
Hence a new video card might be more demanding on juice, it might also be wise too upgrade the main power supply

thanks will check it out...appreciate the help!
Bets

a reg with only 4 posts???? :rofl:

Erm, I dont know much about computers, but have you messed around with you resolution or anything yet?

I have not had much to say..I read lots on here though...but when I need help I do ask for it. I'm a quiet, no-make-waves-reg....lol. I have messed with the resolution some and ended up putting it back the way it was due to display issues...why do ya ask?....got an idea ya care to share?

Bets

#7 Iceman(uk)

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:18 AM

Hi Bets, I run a Radeon 9600xt, plays BF2 ok, but sometimes I get a stuttery/jumpy picture, normally when I get Lagg and poor connection speed (ping), when it's like that, I log-out and try another server and it seems fine.
Normally back to the server where I had probs a short while after.
I have the latest ATI drivers too. Also if my anti-virus kicks in to do it's daily scan, that set's the problem off too.
those are my observations I've noticed.

cya
take care

PS like someone else mentioned, heat could be a problem, try the side of case open thing (take one side pannel off) and see if it helps, cheap and worth a try lol

#8 Wasabi®

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:59 AM

Which game is this again?

PS You might want to take a look at this thread

#9 Bets

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

Hi Bets, I run a Radeon 9600xt, plays BF2 ok, but sometimes I get a stuttery/jumpy picture, normally when I get Lagg and poor connection speed (ping), when it's like that, I log-out and try another server and it seems fine.
Normally back to the server where I had probs a short while after.
I have the latest ATI drivers too. Also if my anti-virus kicks in to do it's daily scan, that set's the problem off too.
those are my observations I've noticed.

cya
take care

PS like someone else mentioned, heat could be a problem, try the side of case open thing (take one side pannel off) and see if it helps, cheap and worth a try lol

Thanks for the input..... tried another server and still had the studdering....it just seems to be BF...I have no trouble with call of duty or medal of honor. So sucks too cuz BF mine fav. I'll keep the heat thing in mind. I'll try anything. But thanks again for your help.

Bets

#10 Boondock Saint

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:30 AM

[/quote]
I'll keep the heat thing in mind. I'll try anything.
Bets
[/quote]

anything?....err...hmmm

#11 Afrika Korps

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:46 AM

But an Ice pack on it.

#12 Bets

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:03 PM

[quote name='Boondock Saint' post='122460' date='Nov 24 2005, 03:30 PM'][/quote]
I'll keep the heat thing in mind. I'll try anything.
Bets
[/quote]

anything?....err...hmmm

[/quote]

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....anything!......but keep in mind....everything has its limits and conditions eh.

Bets

#13 Jack

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:00 PM

What is the CPU in your comp? I had the same issue with my comp and some games. If you have a dual-core cpu that may be the prob.

P.S. I come cheaper than Boon :pokey:

#14 Iceman(uk)

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:05 AM

Hi, Any luck yet Bets ???

#15 Bets

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:03 PM

What is the CPU in your comp? I had the same issue with my comp and some games. If you have a dual-core cpu that may be the prob.

P.S. I come cheaper than Boon :pokey:

lol...am glad some-one is cheaper than Boon.....CPU= 64bit celeron....I am thinking that is ok....yes? Thanks.

Bets

Hi, Any luck yet Bets ???

No luck as of yet...I am thinking that the server is just not working for me, all my other games are working fine, Call of Duty, medal of honor, it just Battlefield that not working for me. such a bummer too, cuz Battlefield mine favorite. I don't know what else to do....I might not be able to play there anymore is all....Crapola!

Bets

#16 Lin

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:14 PM

We've actually had players roll back their ATI drivers successfully. You can obtain older drivers from the ATI site itself...and Catalyst has always been a problem, IMHO.

Otherwise, try playing with the graphics settings and the audio settings as well.

#17 Jack

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:14 PM

Did you reinstall the game?

#18 Bets

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:46 AM

Did you reinstall the game?

4 times!....lol

Bets

#19 Lin

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:49 AM

I've had the same problem. I upgraded my vid driver tonight, and then it fizzed the screen, bumped to desktop and gave me an error message that the graphics driver was no longer communicating (thanks Catalyst). I uninstalled that one, reinstalled an older one, and it's been fine tonight.

Roll back? and don't use Catalyst...it suxeth.

#20 Bets

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:50 AM

We've actually had players roll back their ATI drivers successfully. You can obtain older drivers from the ATI site itself...and Catalyst has always been a problem, IMHO.

Otherwise, try playing with the graphics settings and the audio settings as well.

How do ya know which older drivers to install?...I was able to play last night without any troubles at all....but ya never know tomorrow...lol. Thanks for the input and will try if it is an on-going problem.

Bets

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com