Photo

Sluggish performance?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 LeadPoison

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:44 PM

Well, I have found a good tweaking guide for bf1942 that helped me squeeze an extra 10fps out of my game and load maps in about half the time.

Here it is Tweakin' guide

The major things to try for a bit more performance is to increase the virtual memory or pagefile setting to 3 times your RAM and tweaking your running processes to cut out some of the more useless default processes. I already run my game at 1024x768@ 60hz and turned off the shadows and environmental mapping, pretty useless anyway in this game.

I found my maps loaded much faster when I turned all music off. Seems that really eats up memory in this game while loading maps.

I would highly suggest going to Black Viper's, and learning how to switch your running processes to the "internet gateway mode" or the "gaming mode". That will free up some resources as well.

Good luck!

#2 bbb

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:11 PM

i used a few tips, didn't see any difference.

#3 LeadPoison

Posted 16 July 2004 - 07:51 AM

Are you having sluggish performance?

#4 Why Two Kay

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:44 AM

If you can, I suggest getting a second hard drive, and running a  dual-boot system. Install the bare minimum on it. Make it your gaming system  side. Its not very hard to do and it gets the most perfomance out of your hardware. The OS isn't bogged down by extra, un-needed programs. Go to  www.microsoft.com for tips on running a dual-boot system. Also, if you can  afford it get more RAM. That always helps performance.
Defragment! This is a very important thing to do. Files get spread all  over your hard drive and in turn, degrade the performance of your machine.  Run the windows defragmenting program at least once a week or after you've  installed or un-installed 2 or more programs.

hmmm, i havent tried this before, maybe that would help. I do have 2 hard drives and maybe running a duel boot system might work.

I would highly suggest going to Black Viper's, and learning how to switch your running processes to the "internet gateway mode" or the "gaming mode". That will free up some resources as well.

I would go with gaming, not internet gateway. Some of the services in internet gateway are not needed when playing a game, and are for people unning webservers, or lanservers on their computer.

#5 bbb

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:11 PM

it's a little shitty lead, but playable!

#6 LeadPoison

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:12 PM

What are your specs?

What settings are your running the game on?

#7 bbb

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:19 PM

i'm too lazy to look this shit up, so here it is off the top of my head!

i disabled enviroment mapping and shadows, turned sound quality to lowest setting, lowered frequency a bit, to 22 i think.

specs, 2 gig P4,huge harddrive, a 256 and a 512 ram. 64 megabyte vidcard.
and that's it as far as i know, i'm no techie btw.

#8 LeadPoison

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:30 PM

Ok, what fps were you running with that setup and how long do maps take to load?

Have you tried to max out your pagefile x 3?

Did you turn the music off?

What ingame detail settings are you running, AKA textures and draw distance?

Are you running ts?

Are you running TSO?

Are you running any other useless processes as listed at black viper's site?

#9 bbb

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:30 PM

i didn't look at the black viper thing, i do run TS and RA.

i use low detail, and maximum draw distance.

my pagefile stuff doesn't work like it says in the site, i have ME.

#10 Why Two Kay

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:32 PM

my pagefile stuff doesn't work like it says in the site, i have ME.

Theres the problem. ME isnt as stable as XP. Also, Black Viper doesnt work in ME. If you get XP, you will have a happier and more stable computing experience. (That was not quoted from Microsoft)

#11 bbb

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:15 PM

but.... but...!!

i hate XP so much............. :eatme: :bop2:

#12 Why Two Kay

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:01 AM

but.... but...!!

i hate XP so much............. :eatme: :bop2:

WHY? you can make it look like older versions, al the programs run on it, and you can turn off all of the friendly little "FisherPrice" like help screens. You can make it look exactly like ME or 2000 or even 95.

#13 bbb

Posted 17 July 2004 - 11:41 AM

look yes. act, no.
everything is in a different place! gah!
and i know ME/98 inside out compared to XP, i'd hate to change now! :(

#14 Why Two Kay

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:05 PM

look yes. act, no.
everything is in a different place! gah!
and i know ME/98 inside out compared to XP, i'd hate to change now! :(

it basically is EXACTLY the same except for the looks which can be changed back. Really. The Control Panel is the same, Windows Explorer is the same, Internet Explorer is the same. Its all the same. The only different is the core of the kernel. Think of it this way:

Windows 95/98: 16 pins fitting into 16 holes
Windows ME: 32 pins fitting into 16 holes
Windows 2K/XP: 32 pins fitting into 32 holes

Any of that make sense? Well, 95/98 were 16 but opetating systems on a 16 bit core with 32 bit extentions.
ME was a 32 bit operating system that was still operating on a 16 bit core. So it wasnt as stable
Windows 2K/XP was a 32 bit operating system on a 32 bit core, thus more stable.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com