Photo

gauging interest

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Spare Parts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

I have seen some interest in playing Philipines.  The map is large and would need about 40 players to have an enjoyable and competitive match.   I wouldn't mind running the map at a prearanged time and day.  I am not sure if I would be allowed to do this but I think its ok.  Before I go any further, without commiting to anything right now, I am merely asking if anyone would be interested in this.  Leave any comment you like but please also say yea or nay.

• Christine1 likes this

#2 posi

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:14 AM

Mod the darn thing so the middle island has two uncaps...  instant low pop fix.

#3 Moving Target

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:53 AM

What Position said. Maybe mod in an axis carrier and give allied the airfield uncap

#4 Renlist

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:25 AM

The Philippines map was made by DICE Canada, not long after BF1942 was released. I endured it and It was intense in its time, but is too spread out a map, nowadays.

Long time between action. Whatever modifications have been made to Invasion of the Philippines, it's still a boring map. 

I've ended up just boarding torpedo boats looking for enemy ships.  You know what?  Sunk destroyers on Philippines map quickly re-spawn within about a minute. I did not know that.   I found that out while sinking one with my PT boats torpedos.  I'd rather play Guadalcanal, tho both maps are loaded with sea vessels.

If I were to mod a map, say,  Guadalcanal , I'd lessen plane re-spawn times, or, the number of them to begin with. Guadalcanal can get ridiculous with 3 good pilots on one team.  Every vehicle moving is toast.  

Limiting how many sea ships spawn on Midway or Guadalcanal still has players running ships around sea flags.  BF 2017.    A bore.

Thank god for Berlin Conquest map rotated in recently.  Mean and nasty street fighting among the ruins. 

CTF Battleaxe sucks. It  usually ends up  2-1 (if that) after 45 minutes.

#5 pinchythelobster

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

I'm for it but would prefer the mods as listed previously or others that may come to mind or plain works too. I love all the maps so it's good to see some new ones make it into the rotation. Thanks for the change of pace!!! It's crazy to think there's still this much involvement and interaction for a game this old from server admins. Whether you like the changes or not, this alone is a reason to donate. Thanks Moon.

• posi and Captain John H. Miller like this

#6 Spare Parts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

The comments are great, reading all of them but please remember to let me know if you would even show up for a predetermined time and date phillipines match.  I know you can't commit to it without knowing when, but I need to see if it is just talk or people will show up.  Thanks.

• posi likes this

#7 King of the Squirrels

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

I like to see it modded. The center island fight is great. :coo:

#8 pinchythelobster

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

I typically only play Sundays and Mondays so if it falls outside of that, I probably won't be able to attend. womp womp womp

• Spare Parts likes this

#9 Renlist

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Swap out Midway with Guadalcanal.   

#10 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

Swap out Midway with Guadalcanal.  Let's see how that map is modded.   Less planes or less plane spawn times might be in order.

Please don't put a jeep in a bunker like on Midway.  That's just sad, lol.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about Invasion of the Phillipines here.

• Grassy likes this

#11 posi

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

I gave him credit for bringing up mods in a positive light, it's been a long time coming.

#12 Spare Parts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

This is not boding well.  Not one person other than Pinchy has said yea or nay, the important part.  Not one Admin has said yes or no, Renlist is completely off the rails for a change and a modding discussion broke out.  This is all fine, but please, if I'm going to make time in my schedule to plan and host an event such as this, I need to know who is interested.  Third time I have asked this, comment away but please include yes or no desire to attend an Invasion of Phillipines match.  If it's ignored again I will assume this is not wanted and move on.  thank you everyone. 

#13 Hairy Russian Dude

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

Spare,

I would love to commit to a date but I have a baby that determines whether I get free time evening to evening. I would certainly try and make it out.

I'd also like you to note that phil comes out once in awhile on the EA117 server and I have found that a minimum 12 on 12 still provides a decent match. Although 20 on 20 would be awesome!

I completely understand your frustration on a thread derailing from the point you are trying to make, but I think modding would help your venture. Mods spark interest in the map and therefore interest in commingling to an event.

And, CTF is also a low pop fix. Uncaps plus everyone can still duke it out for flags.

• Spare Parts likes this

#14 Christine1

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Yes  :Sniper:  :shoot2:

• Spare Parts and coffeeassassin like this

#15 gregefc

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

First things first, no, wouldn't play as I'm too busy.

Secondly, please do not mod this beautiful map with carriers and all kinds of other bull. If you do anything, make the center of the action Point Boyington and Airfield. If you want a .rfa file with server side mods that have more or less removed East Harbor, West Harbor, Landing Beach, and US Marine, pinning action at the center two spawns, let me know. I have this and multiple other .rfas of IotP saved from circa 2005-2010 when =SoC= ran our 24/7 server.
  • Spare Parts likes this

#16 coffeeassassin

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

JKEEMDL.gif

• posi, Spare Parts and Christine1 like this

#17 Moving Target

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

YES
  • Spare Parts likes this

#18 Eliminator

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

just%20do%20it_zpsppbnoyrr.gif

• posi, Spare Parts and Christine1 like this

#19 Grassy

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:10 AM

Given the scope of players needed to facilitate this wonderful map.  I would think a designated time is a brilliant idea.  SO YES!

One more thing and this is just a suggestion and not meant in an overbearing demeanor.  

Once a designated time is selected, have a GOLD text command IE: !philly(or whatever you come up )  that will allow admins to advertise on command the day and time that the event will take place.  SECOND SUGGESTION: Have it run in the regular server announcements as well as you do SW/RTR.   

If this has already been discussed, please forgive.  

John forgive me I borrowed your colored markers!..  ROFL!!   jk bro   :music-smiley-008:

I hope to see you guys soon in the server, life takes it's toll at times these days, see you soon!

• Spare Parts likes this

#20 D Day

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

I'd be up for this.

• Spare Parts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com