Photo

Plot pole

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Enforcer

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

As I understand it, there are two schools of thought on the plot pole.

We were asked last night in channel what we wanted to do with the plot poles. The options are to:

Require plot poles before any building and that further requires a 30m limit and will hit a built ceiling so no more can be built within that radius. And the plot poles will protect your project so no other can build within the 45m radius of the plot pole.

There is NO plot pole requirement to build, however, if you build without a plot pole, your project is NOT protected against other builders but, if you stick a plot pole down, it IS protected.

By a voice vote from those in game on January 1, 2014, I think we wanted to go with the second option. So, when that is put into effect, a plot pole will NOT be required to build but, understand you are NOT protected unless you have a pole in place. That way, we should no longer hit the 30 meter building limiter that some have hit in times past.

So, when I get with Silverhawk tonight, January 2, 2014, the config file will be altered to reflect the change.

Thanks all for you input and I'll see ya in game.

I would also ask you keep your structures to a reasonable size. If you stuff is so damn large, it causes localized lag, it will be addressed. I hate to be the a baddy and trash what you have built, but, if it affects the game and map, and the other players, it'll have to be addressed.

#2 Irish_Trunks

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I wouldn't think that building so much stuff that it bogs the server would happen with those of us who play. Yeah, having a mini-fortress is fun, but the frame of mind has more stayed within survival and not so much "build my own city". However, I am glad to see this warning so that someone didn't build a cool structure and risk losing it.

#3 Enforcer

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

The issue with no building restriction is that you could build indefinitely and as large a structure as you could afford. I was told by Silver that it may produce localized lag. So I would caution, no problem building what you want to build. Just be reasonable about it.

#4 LeadPaint

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

As far as I can tell, there is a set building limit regardless of the plot pole itself, default limit being 150. From looking at the code, this counts all items, player made or not. This limit can be changed, but it is definitely something I would play it safe with. The engine is not perfect, as no machine I know of is fully taxed to its limits.

I will say many servers have doubled that limit without much an issue, with a max player count of 30.

I would also like to clarify that this is for the PvE server. From what I understood from the conversation, PvP will remain as close to default as possible and I stand by that fully.

#5 Irish_Trunks

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

It's worth seeing when someone may hit that limit, it may not even be necessary to raise.

#6 Enforcer

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Yes, this is the PvE server. The PvP server will require a plot pole should one decide to build.

#7 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Is there a possibility that we can build more within 30m? I wanna build another Helo pad but im out of things to build =(

#8 Enforcer

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

Take down the plot pole, build and then rebuild the plot pole. Will that work?

#9 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Nope, but I'm gonna build on the other side, that worked =)

#10 LeadPaint

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

No.. the build limit code is not tied to plot poles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com