Photo

How to kill a server

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Renlist

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

On a late Saturday afternoon,  trying to get the server populated,  why knowingly insert  the Midway map (not in rotation) which cranks up little interest or action,  then after that...let the rotation continue with the equally slow Iwo Jima modded map (another non-action packed map)?

Maybe insert the Midway map when it's crowded already, but why knowingly insert such a  map (ships, planes, subs, landing craft, sea flags, torpedo boats) when trying to grow the server population that day?  It didn't.  Along with the lack of action in the next map (modded Iwo Jima)...the server was down to 8 vs. 8 in no time. 

Is there a Saturday rotation or something?   Replace Midway with Gazala.  At least you spawn in Gazala without waiting for a ship to spawn in Midway. This past Saturday afternoon was brutal.  The spawning ships on Midway got taken out of action repeatedly within mere minutes, by 3 pilots over and over again...for 40 minutes. Needless to say, it was baaaad!  Haha.  

Modded Iwo Jima  is a map that soooo needs taking out of the regular rotation, for awhile.  

There needs to be more mods attending, or at least, some @players who can change the freaking map when the server resets.

The @nickplayers.  Whatever happened to that concept?  Weren't they supposed to be trustees or something? Given just enough power to move a map forward after a reset?

I'll settle for a 3rd warning point and more @players.

#2 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:58 AM

FFS... Didn't you have a couple of threads like this already? 

• VampireMoose and shavo like this

#3 gregefc

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:12 AM

I think the best solution here is to make renlist a senior admin immediately. That way he can run whatever maps he enjoys. Also I am positive the seever population will increase as the general public have, many times, voiced their opinion on making renlist an administrator due to his vast 1942 knowledge.

#4 Grassy

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:52 AM

Agreed on the Iwo map, it needs to go back to the original version. The prolonging of a map is not what counts, it is the action and the urgency that keeps the players.

#5 Renlist

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:31 AM

Midway map on Saturdays.....out.

#6 Grassy

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

There were similar threads...not this specific one.   If you don't want the guy posting here just ban him already.

#7 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

If you don't want the guy posting here just ban him already.

Did the Man In Black whipe your memory with their lightstick or something? You know we don't do such things...

• Grassy likes this

#8 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

While I'm awake for some hours now and didn't just come out of bed:

On a late Saturday afternoon,  trying to get the server populated,  why knowingly insert  the Midway map (not in rotation) which cranks up little interest or action,  then after that...let the rotation continue with the equally slow Iwo Jima modded map (another non-action packed map)?

I set Midway yesterday after while we played Aberdeen yesterday, since we were out of rotation why not stay out of it for a little bit. Yes, there weren't as many players as I hoped there to be, but it's a change of the same old same old maps we play everyday. If we don't go out of rotation we get negative comments and if we do we get them as well... We hardly ever play Midway as much as some of us (including me) would like to, then we get to play it once every 2-4 weeks and we get complaints. Sometimes we just wanna play something different, be it Midway, Aberdeen, Guadal, Bulge etc. Ofcourse we would like to have a full server, or at least 40+ most of the time; Midway might run slower with 20ish players but at least we can play it. We already have some ideas on how to get some more action in Midway.

Maybe insert the Midway map when it's crowded already, but why knowingly insert such a  map (ships, planes, subs, landing craft, sea flags, torpedo boats) when trying to grow the server population that day?  It didn't.  Along with the lack of action in the next map (modded Iwo Jima)...the server was down to 8 vs. 8 in no time. 

We had about 25-30 players when Midway was set. I set Bocage after Midway, because it was my bedtime and I guess at the time there was no other admin to skip Iwo after Bocage. 

Is there a Saturday rotation or something?   Replace Midway with Gazala.  At least you spawn in Gazala without waiting for a ship to spawn in Midway. This past Saturday afternoon was brutal.  The spawning ships on Midway got taken out of action repeatedly within mere minutes, by 3 pilots over and over again...for 40 minutes. Needless to say, it was baaaad!  Haha.  

No, saturdays have the same rotation as mondays through fridays. I thought of Gazala, but I usually don't like to set it if we're not over 30 players. Midway started of okay though, I wasn't too happy either with the one sides shipspawn being raped by mostly naval vessels =/

Modded Iwo Jima  is a map that soooo needs taking out of the regular rotation, for awhile.  

I'll ask for Iwo not to be in rotation coming week.

There needs to be more mods attending,

Please elaborate what you mean with that.

or at least, some @players who can change the freaking map when the server resets.

The @nickplayers.  Whatever happened to that concept?  Weren't they supposed to be trustees or something? Given just enough power to move a map forward after a reset?

I'll settle for a 3rd warning point and more @players.

I believe you mean the ®Regs. They were never able to do anything like kicking/banning or setting maps, they used to help to educate players and as the explaination explains they were/are ambassadors on Moon. The Reg thing kinda died off in the years, with the game dieing and people moving on.

• dodgem and Grassy like this

#9 Spare Parts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

Part of the problem is individual perception.  The world does not start when you open your eyes in the morning.  It merely continues to turn as it always does.  your individual view of the world and in a much smaller sense, what goes on at Moongamers is shaped by your own individual experiences.  I was up early yesterday and found a server with about 25 people in it, when I had to stop playing there were almost 40, I played for almost 3 hours.  For my time zone this was about 7am PST.  I know you mentioned "peak" time on a Saturday, I put forth the thought that peak time where you live is not peak time where I live or when any of our Euro friends are on.  Due to time being different all across the globe it seems that there would be many peak times.  Just try to keep an open mind and remember we don't all live next-door to you. 

As for Iwo Jima mod, I like it, but again I am not one who has to have everything the same because its comforting and I am afraid of change.  If the mods are indeed making the map less enjoyable to play then try to remember, its less enjoyable for you, maybe not for all.  Broad sweeping statements like,  everybody hates this mod or nobody wants to play this, are indeed wrong, but your opinion only.  Thank you all for sharing your opinions, I am confident if Moongamers tries to please everyone they will be successful.  They will be the only entity to ever achieve this but with such great and accurate constructive criticism, how can they fail?

• Grassy likes this

#10 Moving Target

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

What about a default shorter time for some of the maps with less population and no admin on? With a smaller pop playing some maps for 30+ minutes is a killer, but with an admin on + people having fun, time can always be extended

#11 Renlist

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

I  would have nixxed Midway.  Too many sea vessels, not enough land action.   Gazala or Guadalcanal would have been better.

Midway map is a Saturday afternoon server killer.  It's too dispersed.  Who lined that map up?

Can I have another warning point so as to look more bad ass?

#12 Grassy

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Personally I have played Midway recently with a pop. of over 30...we had a blast...only downfall was the static carriers...easy to sink and cut the other team off....however the pro's outweigh the cons on that one IMHO.

#13 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

What about a default shorter time for some of the maps with less population and no admin on? With a smaller pop playing some maps for 30+ minutes is a killer, but with an admin on + people having fun, time can always be extended

An admin would have to set the timer everytime, which means more work. As for shorter rounds, it is usually when the map changes people will leave. That is why, sometimes, an admin might extend an okay running round (even round) to keep the pop stable.

Who lined that map up?

http://www.moongamer...=65728&p=707775

#14 Moving Target

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

An admin would have to set the timer everytime, which means more work. As for shorter rounds, it is usually when the map changes people will leave. That is why, sometimes, an admin might extend an okay running round (even round) to keep the pop stable.

Who lined that map up?

http://www.moongamer...=65728&p=707775

Gotcha, didn't know if there were individual map settings for time or not.  I've never ran a server/done the admin type stuff so I just take guesses :)

#15 Renlist

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:00 AM

Personally I have played Midway recently with a pop. of over 30...we had a blast...only downfall was the static carriers...easy to sink and cut the other team off....however the pro's outweigh the cons on that one IMHO.

Yes.. Midway 16 vs.16 is half decent.  A lot better than Midway  8 vs.7 for the next 45 minutes on a Saturday afternoon trying to get the action going. 

It just blows my mind with no insult intended.

Midway 9 vs. 9....I just get into a torpedo boat. I've lost interest in the lack of land action.   I  drive torpedo boats when it's 9 vs. 9 on a Saturday afternoon. The same with the Philippines map.   An admin comes in with 8 vs.8 and decides a 64/64 map will rock.  It does.  It rocks me to sleep.

Doesn't it get boring to play a 45 minute map where everyone's kill percentage is 0.1 for 45 mintues?   No?  Alright...whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com