Photo

How to be a better community player?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cocoa_Puffs

Posted 21 November 2021 - 12:51 PM

Playing anything online sometimes brings with it difficulty in communication. It can be hard to know when people are bored, upset, or frustrated.

What can I do personally to ensure I'm promoting an environment where everyone can have fun? For years I've only played in a very intimate group where I can usually talk in person to those I'm hanging out with. But I've come to realize that playing online can leave a huge void where it's hard to know what players are genuinely thinking. Most people don't even communicate.

Do you have any tips on what I can do to make people want to hang out more? Or maybe some lesser-known examples of sportsmanship that ought to be followed? I've been out of the loop for a large portion of my time online, so any helpful ideas or rules of politeness to follow would be greatly appreciated. 😊
  • MehulJ likes this

#2 Highway Man

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:13 PM

Fly your plane into a church... people like that.
  • Capn Cackler, MehulJ, covidwhisperer and 1 other like this

#3 Colonel Tavington

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:18 AM

I would say don't shoot people in the back, but I do that all the time.

• Highway Man, MehulJ and Cocoa_Puffs like this

#4 Stamper

Posted 27 November 2021 - 07:36 PM

It took me awhile to figure this one out, and I'm still far from a golden medal on this area in terms of gaming, but don't underestimate the patience of volunteers nor take their work for granted.  Not just the patience of those who run a 20 year old game/server, but in the real world as well.  

Sometimes it is these very people who make the world (real and gaming, etc.) go round and round from their sacrifice of time and care, and usually get more crap than appreciation for it.  Trust their judgement and help 'em if you can.  If you make a mistake, be honest and do your best to change.   

PS - You're gonna screw up eventually.  It's life.  Take such moments as a learning experience and move forward.  Watch some Judge Judy every now and then.

Second PS - I heard this from one of my mentors - "Make sure you don't fit your own definition of a**hole.  You'll catch yourself doing it eventually, so be humble when it happens."  (Caught myself in that situation, but also saved maaaany awkward situations by remembering that line)

• Some Girl Named Cher, MehulJ and Cocoa_Puffs like this

#5 birney

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:40 PM

As the quote goes 'Long time listener, first time caller.'

I am a long time listener and most deffinatly not a first time caller.  Which makes the quote above somewhat non-sensicle but hey it sounded good! If you had asked

"How can I make this community better'

I would have thought 'He wants to be an admin' Yet you did not you asked

"What can I do personally do to ensure I'm promoting an environment where everyone can have fun?"  I am also assuming based on this

"I've only played in a very intimate group where I can usually talk in person to those I'm hanging out with. But I've come to realize that playing online can leave a huge void where it's hard to know what players are genuinely thinking. Most people don't even communicate"

I dont usually reply to any threads here anymore but like Stomper said "It took me awhile to figure this one out"  I am a long time member of moongamers and there is only two(maybe 5) people I trust on here - trust meaning friends One of them I have met and one I wish to.Two after 13 years or so is not that high - gaming is gaming after all not real life. The sad truth of the matter is that you can only be yourself, nothing more nothing less. Irregardless of what you do or say in a game on this here internet, it is still a virtual world of millions of people. You will get the trolls the racist the people who will tk you time and time again cause its their idea of fun not yours! The same life skills, talking to people, listening to people you have gained from talking and listening to people from the time you where born to now you apply to gaming and the internet 10x. The very same life skills that made you trust that intimate group of yours to play with them on a regular basis apply 10X. There is only a certain amount you can do because its the internet. Play fair have fun but more inportantly...

Be yourself, trust your instinct's!

• MehulJ and Cocoa_Puffs like this

#6 MehulJ

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:24 PM

I could cite a few as well:

1. Never let your ego come in between even if you keep getting killed by one player 'n' number of times ... instead appreciate them, however, if they prefer not to respond, just move on :) 

2. If you have been in a plane through out and somehow get killed ... instead of going for a new one, allow others to get a chance ... there are many ways to continue the warfare 

3. If someone requests for a pick-up, just stop and pick up em ... it takes a few seconds 

4. If you sense the enemy player in front of you is a newcomer / novice / not so frequent ... go easy on them ... if they have a bazooka / sniper, and you have a SMG, bring out your colt / knife cuz if they keep getting subjected to ruthlessness, they might never come back because it takes years to master this game ... 

5. Also, try not to interrupt knife fights with another weapon ... 

6. Greet people ... strike up conversations ... ask for Insta / Facebook / Discord IDs' (p.s. not with the intention of recruiting)  

I know we might never be able to meet each other in real since we are distributed across the globe ... we might also not be able to figure out someone's real name or even how they look like .. but then what matters is the memories we make, and it is these moments that will make us smile when we look back in time :-) 

• Cocoa_Puffs likes this

#7 MehulJ

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:28 PM

Switch teams when you feel the balance is out of proportions .... 

I remember players who volunteer, and give them brownie points  :music-smiley-008:

• dodgem and Cocoa_Puffs like this

#8 kaiserj

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:51 PM

Actually read the rules and not complain for most the match that people are sniping into the uncap base even after admin says it's okay multiple times.

• Capn Cackler, Stamper and Cocoa_Puffs like this

#9 MAVOK

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:25 AM

5. Also, try not to interrupt knife fights with another weapon ... 

This, and if you happen upon an opponent and he or she draws a blade, indulge and get your dagger out

• Cocoa_Puffs likes this

#10 kaiserj

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

I tried to start a knife fight on the outskirts of Bocage the other day. One player showed up and sniped me.

• Highway Man and Cocoa_Puffs like this

#11 covidwhisperer

Posted 08 December 2021 - 07:11 PM

Mehul is too zen for me but I agree with everything he said. I get legit annoyed when i get sniped during a knife lol

• dodgem, MehulJ and Cocoa_Puffs like this

#12 Capn Cackler

Posted 08 December 2021 - 10:35 PM

Mehul is too zen for me but I agree with everything he said. I get legit annoyed when i get sniped during a knife lol

It wasn't me, I promise! Sometimes by accident, otherwise I let it play out and then shoot the enemy if they win!

• Highway Man and Cocoa_Puffs like this

#13 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 09 December 2021 - 03:57 AM

It wasn't me, I promise! Sometimes by accident, otherwise I let it play out and then shoot the enemy if they win!

Too many accidents!  :stab:

• Capn Cackler, covidwhisperer and Cocoa_Puffs like this

#14 Creamzor

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:23 PM

Just teabag everyone you see. People generally love that in my experience.

• Cocoa_Puffs likes this

#15 dodgem

Posted 24 December 2021 - 09:57 AM

Too many accidents! :stab:

Hackcidents*
  • Some Girl Named Cher, Capn Cackler and Cocoa_Puffs like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com