Photo

tow and lift?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: tow and lift? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

should we have tow and lift?

1. yes (14 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. no (5 votes [23.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

3. not bothered (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 helltaker

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

fell free to post your opinions
Edit: please note this is for majority of vehicles to tow and lift not just Chinook but a whole load of vehicles most heli's and most ground vehicles

#2 CrashMaster

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

I would like to have towing, I know some are against having it, so as a compromise if it is possible have it in the game but only with certain big choppers and the big trucks, that will allow it but keep people from towing a Ural with a taxi....

CrashMaster

#3 Enforcer

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

I would vote against it. I could go for a tow by a chinook on the smaller vehicles if that can be decided upon. Basically, cars and the like can be towed by a chinook to where ever you wanted them to go. As I type this, I am not sure what the towing feature would create. I know when we were playing on Corpse's server for a brief month, before the old Moongamers servers, before the one we currently have..what ended up happening was, we would fly around and find a vehicle. Hover..pick up...go to trader, drop in position..sell. Fly off in search of another vehicle. We decided I think that there should be something for ground pounders to do. So, pilots who are comfortable flying, landing in the different environments of Chernarus could copter hunt making briefcases in one outing with another pilot. I am afraid that if we enable towing by a Chinook, or Merlin on any small vehicles..cars, hummers, SUVs, ambulances etc., there won't be much left for those that don't like to fly to pick up and make their gold.

As I am told the script works like this: You would need two pilots, one in the Nook and one in another copter. Find a "vehicle", the nook pilot hovers over said vehicle while the little bird lands and that pilot connects the vehicle to the nook. The nook heads off to sell the vehicle, while the other pilot scouts for the next vehicle. So, it does take two people, but, for me, I figure that if I am ground pounding it out and finding a vehicle on the ground that is need of repair, I need to find parts to repair it. With a nook towing it, where is the risk vs reward? Where is the need to have spare parts to get these things fixed and able to be sold. I know for a sandbox each player has a different idea of what this game should be about.

I guess for me, I don't understand the philosophy on why towing is needed? Maybe it has simply not been explained to me but, it seems that enabling that feature makes the game more about collecting vehicles to sell..in an environment almost made easy? Maybe not the right word, but, do you get the meaning..where is the excitement of finding a broken down vodnik, fixing it, getting it to the trader, then hump it back to your original locked vehicle, maybe find another vehicle along the way while having to run 3000 meters to your vehicle and using that POS to get around to your vehicle, or maybe not..sell it too..

But, in a helicopter, or truck find, tow, sell repeat..just doesn't have any appeal for me and don't really understand why it does for others..

Course, this is my perspective. If the overwhelming response is Tow, Tow, Tow..well, we go where the players have decided.

#4 Lin

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

I fly and I ground pound, and I completely echo Foze's opinion. There needs to be a balance, and towing could easily unbalance the server and shift it toward a Pilot Paradise...leaving what for the ground pounders?

I too am interested to know how the towing package would be used, and if there would be circumstances surrounding the use of it. My first thought would be to tow a boat to a lake...but then, for what purpose? I do not believe there are fish in the lakes.

My next question would be, are there different maps where towing would make more sense?

And, is this poll for the Epoch default Chinook-only towing, or a mod? If it's for a mod, what does the mod do and how would you use the tow package?

#5 LeadPaint

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

I could live with the built in tow system. Its the reason why the chinook cost 4 briefcases, and is relatively limited. I'd borrow Sparret's chinook to ferry cars to the coast, and put a boat in some random pond.. just cause I can. But, I can also just have someone fly me back after driving cars down to the coast, and forget the boat.

#6 Lin

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

We are not saying Yes or No, but we do need more information in order to make an informed decision. :)

#7 helltaker

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

after reading enforcers post i must agree, maybe it will e mis-used and making life too easy for players, i therefore change my vote despite being the 1 who wanted it.

the tow and lift system i was talking about is a mod/script that allows almost ever vehicle to be able to tow or lift which only takes the pilot or driver to do by a simple scroll while hovering above the vehicle or getting out the car and attaching a vehicle to your vehicle

#8 SgtBarrett

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

If not a tow/lift script, then how bout a Toolbox/Bicycle script?

#9 SP33D

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

I would love to see towing/lift in here. I am often playing alone and it's quite the adventure to turn in a vehicle alone and have to treck back and forth.

#10 Enforcer

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

And that is precisely why I don't want the two and lift. By having, there is not a need to partner up and play as a community. Now, you will still need a partner as I understand the Chinook lift, but, still, I am against it. Get a partner and do it the old fashioned way. Sell it, buy a bike and pedal your way back home, or bring a buddy in a littlebird or something..

What is a toolbox/bicycle script?

#11 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

And that is precisely why I don't want the two and lift. By having, there is not a need to partner up and play as a community. Now, you will still need a partner as I understand the Chinook lift, but, still, I am against it. Get a partner and do it the old fashioned way. Sell it, buy a bike and pedal your way back home, or bring a buddy in a littlebird or something..

In defence of the towingscript: You can helicopter hunt alone perfectly, no need for a partner. And usually it brings 10x - 100x the amount of money in as one vehicle. I think it'll be good to clear some cars off the road by towing. I think nobody is going to go across the map(and back) to sell a car for 1 gold. By selling some vehicles, better vehicles may spawn and even helicopters can spawn.

Please consider, we can always try it for a week or two.

#12 SgtBarrett

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

In defence of the towingscript: You can helicopter hunt alone perfectly, no need for a partner. And usually it brings 10x - 100x the amount of money in as one vehicle. I think it'll be good to clear some cars off the road by towing. I think nobody is going to go across the map(and back) to sell a car for 1 gold. By selling some vehicles, better vehicles may spawn and even helicopters can spawn.

Please consider, we can always try it for a week or two.

Miller, I think that's a valid and good point. Besides if the Tow Script required 2 players, then Enforcers needs would be met for team playership side of things.
But some people hunt alone now WITHOUT the tow script. They like to play alone. They reach out when it suits them but to say that the lack of a tow script forces team playership is a stretch. Loners are loaners before the script and will be after the script because that is their play style. My play style was loaner style for ages. I like the solitude. But I have changed styles as my paradigm of the game has changed. From terrified scavenger, to bold chopper pilot, to base builder, to terrified Osprey hunter/flyer, to missions member... The addition of scripts changes the game just enough that the paradigm of the game shifts and keeps things fresh, keeps things from getting old.

If the Chinook was the only vehicle that could lift, and since the script is problematic to non admins anyway, just like the snap build and any other menu addition is, having the script would be mostly limited to admins due to it's quirkyness. But I would consider it an asset to admins for things like moving vehicles to the coast for the benefit of spawners and noobs to the server, doing the move the "proper way" instead of teleporting into a tree or building adds a sense of realism to the admining of things.

What do you guys think?

#13 Irish_Trunks

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

Personally, I'm always very hesitant to adding scripts that provide convenience. I've enjoyed the more "hardcore" nature of this style of game, even though with DayZ it's not really that difficult when you get used to it. Every action needs to be planned out and foreshadowed in what consequences can occur. I can fly in a helicopter and make some money, but I also need to make sure that I have enough food and drink on me, as well as tools or spare parts, for a run to where a car may be available to drive off in. The survival and patience becomes important again. We already have a lot of fun conveniences with the traders, crafting, etc. and I've enjoyed the heck out of those additions. Yet every time we add another thing to make it a little easier just takes it away for me.

I will say that I can see how adding it in for vehicle cleanup can be beneficial. But is it really necessary? We already can go ground pounding for vehicles, even dedicate some time to really pump those cars out if need be. But if we add towing and make it easier then where's the risk? Why not add traders to the southern cities or have tanks for the bandit missions or extend the time that food/drink lasts? Gotta know where we are willing to draw the line to maintain the important aspects of the game.

#14 Enforcer

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

And the tow we would consider adding is the default Epoch tow package. We would not enable any vehicle to tow anything. It would be restricted to the chinook towing the smaller vehicles. So, I don't think you could tow a Ural or V3 or something with the chinook but, any of the cars/SUVs. My fear is that the only vehicles that would be towed are the military vehicles that could be sold and the ladas would continue to sit.

#15 Chronicly Gifted

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

I agree with enforcer. With out the tow/lift on the server it invites teamwork. It will get 2 people together that might not have helped each other in the past.
I think you all are talking about the COOP Dayz Server, in which case it has great teamwork already and tow/lift will take away some of it.

Chronicly Gifted AKA DZ

#16 SP33D

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

I agree with enforcer. With out the tow/lift on the server it invites teamwork. It will get 2 people together that might not have helped each other in the past.
I think you all are talking about the COOP Dayz Server, in which case it has great teamwork already and tow/lift will take away some of it.

Chronicly Gifted AKA DZ

I completely agree that the server is currently set up in a way that promotes teamwork. Initially when I start playing new games I play as a lone wolf if I'm not playing with DZ. I still like to from time to time as Barrett had mentioned also,it gives the game a different feel and teaches you not to HAVE to rely on anyone and increase your solo skills.I've only been playing Dayz for 2 or 3 weeks now, and over those few weeks, even the past few DayZ (see what I did there?) I have seen more cooperation and more reason to leave the tow script out. Being a new Moonie at first is a little intimidating, you don't know the players, the rules, and typically you don't want to reach out and ask anyone for help until you get to know them. I voted yes prior to going heli hunting with Barrett. He threw an opportunity out to collect some heli's, and I jumped all over it. A couple of briefcases later my outlook completely changed. I think the script would be good for admins as a tool to help move vehicles to the coast when needed. But for me, having made new friends here I feel more comfortable asking for help, or offering it. There is a great community here, and I'm sure everyone could use a few more briefcases. Put the script in or leave it out, we are all still going to enjoy ourselves or at the very least learn to team up more often!

#17 Enforcer

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Chronicly Gifted AKA DZ

I completely agree that the server is currently set up in a way that promotes teamwork. Initially when I start playing new games I play as a lone wolf if I'm not playing with DZ. I still like to from time to time as Barrett had mentioned also,it gives the game a different feel and teaches you not to HAVE to rely on anyone and increase your solo skills.I've only been playing Dayz for 2 or 3 weeks now, and over those few weeks, even the past few DayZ (see what I did there?) I have seen more cooperation and more reason to leave the tow script out. Being a new Moonie at first is a little intimidating, you don't know the players, the rules, and typically you don't want to reach out and ask anyone for help until you get to know them. I voted yes prior to going heli hunting with Barrett. He threw an opportunity out to collect some heli's, and I jumped all over it. A couple of briefcases later my outlook completely changed. I think the script would be good for admins as a tool to help move vehicles to the coast when needed. But for me, having made new friends here I feel more comfortable asking for help, or offering it. There is a great community here, and I'm sure everyone could use a few more briefcases. Put the script in or leave it out, we are all still going to enjoy ourselves or at the very least learn to team up more often!

Very well said, Sp33d..Welcome to Moongamers..

#18 SP33D

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

Chronicly Gifted AKA DZ

Very well said, Sp33d..Welcome to Moongamers..

TY Sir!

#19 BigMike

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

i vote yes it would help for the people that are lone wolfing it

#20 LoverBoy.USA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

Well we have to think abaout relativity to how it carries or is carried. If we want to tow with vehicles only suburban and up should tow or atleast the Ural class, especially the repair Ural/V3S. Then anything above the little bird can tow atleast car and a little bird could tow the small vehicle like a moto or atv.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com