Photo

Map claiming

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Irish_Trunks

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

I needed to write about this because it is seriously beginning to bother me on this notion of players "claiming" lootable vehicles and helicopters because it's marked on the map. Often, they stake a claim and then fly on to take care of something else or find material for said lootable. While that's fine and understandable, I do not see how marking something on a map automatically means you have official claim on a vehicle as if it's now owned. I can't count how often I've passed a vehicle I could loot, go to the map to mark where my owned vehicle is and see that the area is already marked with a "claim". Many times, players seem to just fly over, find something else they can sell, mark it and then carry on with selling the helicopter they are already in.

Loot is loot. By being lootable, it means anyone can claim it and it is not owned. Just marking something on a map should not mean you get claim on the vehicle. If you need to remember where something is, mark it in the direct channel for private use or write down the coordinates. I'm getting kind of sick of getting told multiple times "move along and find something else, this is marked. Check the map, it's claimed". Unless it's privately owned and has a key, it's lootable. That means any player can loot it. To mark something for later use and ensure no one else can claim it is just getting greedy and doesn't really promote fair play in my opinion.

#2 Lin

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

After discussing this with Enforcer, map marks will no longer be considered a claim. Loot away!

#3 Enforcer

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

I was hoping to answer this with some more input from others in the game. I will post in the admin section for Dayz as well, but, to summarize, in an open server where there are public players, unknown to Moongamers and our honor system we had on the sandbox with a password, I just don't know if we can continue the practice of marking an item for loot to "reserve" it, if you will. I have been meaning to bring this up, but, now is as good a time as any.

So, my vote would be not to "claim" anything on the map. Write down the coordinates if you want, mark it on YOUR map vs the public map and come back to it. Hopefully, someone else has not beaten you to it. Or, like Thirteen and I did last night, leave your partner in the pilot's seat while you go and get whatever it is you need to fix it up, in my case, scrap metal for the V rotor. If, on the other hand, you and your partner are flying inbound to hero and you pass over another helo, it is time for you to make a choice, what sells for more, what is more flyable meaning less risk etc. Do you continue on, or do you stop and pick up the new bird. Up to you really, but, that is your call. If another player flies over the same area of the map and sees the same helicopter and lands repair it, well dayz giveth, and dayz taketh away.

#4 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

Why don't we make a gentlemens agreement that per round you don't get more than 2 Helo's. Because if someone starts in the beginning of the round and get over 5 of the good helicopters there are none left for the rest of the people that come in later in the game.

About the marking helo's on the map, I think if you find a helicopter and it needs repairing and you dont have the part, you mark it ''CJHM's Helo getting parts'' it's OK, but flying around the map marking all the helo's you find (maybe don't get some and it stays marked) and then getting them is hording all the helo's and getting the same as I said in the part above.

#5 Warrior124

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

One of the main reasons I place a mark on the map is to know where I left my locked vehicle. I don't ever do it to "claim" something, and I never will. First come, first serve is what I play. If you beat me to it, it's yours.

#6 Enforcer

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

I would support that no more than two copters in one round in principle. Frankly, though, I don't know how to monitor that, or enforce it should one violate it. And I don't know for sure, but, I have heard the rumblings on the server that folks are less than "gentlemanly" at times.

#7 Irish_Trunks

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Gentlemen's agreements usually don't work out unfortunately because of the various play styles. Some collect for money for crafting, other for land vehicles, others for weapons and ammo, or just collecting a ton of gold for the sake of having a ton of gold, etc. So different styles require different costs. I do agree in having fairness, absolutely. But I'm with Enforcer and being able to, well, enforce such a thing would prove very difficult.

Also, marking for the heli that it needs parts. Again, understandable but at the same time it's still you claiming something that you aren't driving off in. It's loot and therefore first come first serve. There's a reason I always carry at least a scrap metal on me to repair the V-Rotor and get it airborne when hunting. I don't want to waste time hunting down something to deconstruct or go buy a scrap. First to successfully get it moving gets the claim.

The only time I can think of an exception is in very particular situations. Yesterday I marked a Chinook I found but I marked with a specific description of using it for the nearby Ikea mission for everyone. It was so I or whomever was closest to it could quickly get in and get all the loot and get out before reinforcements arrive or a straggler pops us like they tried the last Ikea I had done. In fact, the plan was to give the Chinook to whomever helped the most with the mission and so was apart of the mission award, not a personal claim. But! If someone had taken the Chinook and headed out, I would've been fine with that because I left a lootable vehicle behind and that's the game for ya. :)

#8 Lin

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

I would much rather see players have the discipline to self-regulate, rather than have arguments over how many helis or how many bc's one has already brought in. New players will have a tendency to hunt aggressively at first...I certainly did, at least until I reached my goal, so that I could then concentrate on building for myself and for the community at large. New players will also want to "build bank"; will we deny them that capability? I would rather not.

When I want to have some fun hunting, I will be giving away bc earnings...until the time that I need to refresh my bank...and then I will give away again once it has been refreshed. That way I still have the fun of huntint helis, yet I can help other members by helping them to build up as well. I no longer have the need to hunt as aggressively, and have already backed off so the newer players can do what I did a week or so ago. If we can all just self-regulate, there will be no need for additional rulings and players will get along with each other much better.

#9 Randigar

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

Why don't we make a gentlemens agreement that per round you don't get more than 2 Helo's. Because if someone starts in the beginning of the round and get over 5 of the good helicopters there are none left for the rest of the people that come in later in the game.

About the marking helo's on the map, I think if you find a helicopter and it needs repairing and you dont have the part, you mark it ''CJHM's Helo getting parts'' it's OK, but flying around the map marking all the helo's you find (maybe don't get some and it stays marked) and then getting them is hording all the helo's and getting the same as I said in the part above.

I don't see why a player that is here playing in the server all day should be punished for the ones that don't the longer you are on the more you will find.

#10 Warrior124

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

The problem with finding helos, and marking them just so one can go get parts they don't have is it says to others who do have the parts the chopper isn't free to take. If we have alot of people playing, and everyone did this, it would make hunting choppers that are free very difficult. This is why when one goes hunting they need to make sure they have all the necessary equipment with them so they won't have to go get something they don't have.

Concerning the 2 chopper per round thing this would be good "if everyone accepted this". However, many people comes to play so they can have fun, and build their inventory, and build their bases, etc. Limiting how much a person can get would take that part of the fun factor away. At the same token people shouldn't be greedy, and take everything. I don't know how we can enforce some rule to limit this. As a moonie I will uphold any gentlemens agreement. I would "hope" others will, but cannot "expect" others to do the same.

#11 Enforcer

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

I don't see why a player that is here playing in the server all day should be punished for the ones that don't the longer you are on the more you will find.

Yes and no Randigar. I can only play in the evenings and when I get on, it may or may not be after a restart. Typically it is at least an hour or two since the restart. Now, if we are just talking about helicopter hunting to make the briefcase a day rule or something..after two hours, many of the "good" helicopters have been located and sold. There may be some bells or littlebirds still around. So, I play for another four to five hours with no "good" hunting to do other than ground. Then a player comes in at around nine thirty ten, my time, and starts playing with a reset in about an hour or less. I log off for the evening just before or just after a reset having not really hunted at all. The later player has only been playing an hour, and will have access to the "good" briefcase copters compared to my five hours of playing with no good hunting as most have been already sold.

So, play time does not necessarily equal success in hunting. Now, before you go and get your cackles up, I am not complaining about anything. I recognize the answer is: Well, play at a time when the server resets and you too can collect some loot. In my case, I can play when I can play and understand for the betterment of the community, it is what it is and I don't reset the game just because "Enforcer" has entered the house. So, I found other ways to make gold when I am on the server, like fishing or something.

Lastly, remember, I would support the idea in principle knowing full well, there was not a way to implement it.

In the end, ladies and gentlemen, I just don't believe a player can continue to "mark" a copter as theirs while they are out hunting. It should be first come first serve. Mark it if you want to remember it, but, if someone beats you to it, it's their treasure and your loss. That was why when we are really out to make some gold, we hunted three or four deep. More pilots equal more loot. I know when I found an MV-22, I told Lin to come to my location vs. leave it and mark it for fear it would not be there upon my return.

And I think most are leaning that way as well..

#12 JohnAlan

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

A little hint to all hunters: a note pad and pen on your desk is useful in more than 1 way. 1 write down the cords to loot and or your vehicle you drove/flew to get there. 2 if you write it down instead of marking on the map, you and not everyone else on the map knows where the loot is.

#13 Enforcer

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Been doing that since day one John. Nice tip..

#14 Xeylore

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

just like to add some light to the spawn system
when an item like a helo is sold the game does replace the spawn but that does not means its going to be a helo its could be a car boat or any other vehicle the more cars/boats means the less helos will spawn so eventually if the only things being collected and sold are helos you will see a drop in helos spawning so you would either need to sell random ground vehicles or destroy them

#15 Enforcer

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

So let the ground pounding commence..

Great observation Xeylore. So, if all we are doing is selling copters, eventually, we will run out of them as little by little they will be replaced by SUVs and ladas. So, let's make it our mission to collect at least one ground vehicle while hunting as well. One copter for a briefcase, and one car for the betterment of the community.

#16 Irish_Trunks

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

I'm in for this! I'll collect like 5 vehicles today to try a little catch up. :)

#17 Enforcer

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Now that I have a good ground pounder, and a few extra briefcases, I will get out there and sell some cars and vans.

Oh, and if you take the wheels and the glass off a car, if you could and have the ammo, try to destroy the car after salvage. Get another something to spawn in..

#18 Irish_Trunks

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Or just blow it up anyways if you don't need the salvage. Piece of crap cars are fun to watch blaze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com