Photo

Computer Will Not Boot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 The Xevious

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:45 PM

Okay, so I go to turn on my computer, the primary one, and it will not start. I can push the power button and everything will spin up, so it's not power, but I get no BIOS on the screen, nor do I get any beeping messages.

I have Reset the CMOS with no luck.
The graphics card works, I tested it in another computer.
The monitor works, I tested it on the other computer.

I have tried most of the basic stuff, and for the love of god do not tell me to check for spyware. I can conclude this is a hardware issue, but I cant figure anything out. :(

I had just come back from doing some homework, and the computer was off. When I went to turn it on, it didnt work. I went out to dinner, and it still doesnt work. I've tried re-seating the ram too, but that doesnt affect it. I assume everything is okay, but obviously it is not.

No mod night for me :(

#2 Lin

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:48 PM

Power supply?

#3 Santano

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

Does your RAM have heat sinks? Remove them, and reseat it.

#4 The Xevious

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:51 PM

Power supply?

Fine, I disconnected what I could, and have only 1 optical drive and one hard drive. All has always worked. 420 watts is plenty.

No.

#5 Santano

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

Power supply?

Fine, I disconnected what I could, and have only 1 optical drive and one hard drive. All has always worked. 420 watts is plenty.

No.

I had that exact same issue and that fixed my problem. I guess its not a ram seating issue then, unless its just not seating right. Sorry I couldnt help man

#6 JJ

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

So as I'm reading your tale, mine decides to freeze, and freeze........

#7 The Xevious

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

This looks like it is a motherboard issue dealing with RAM. I figure I will have to work on it tomorrow or get a replacement. Hopefully I should be able to get a free replacement. As far as the RAM, I don't know what happened to it.

#8 Beautiful_Death

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

This happens to me sometimes, well mine freezes at the Microsoft loading screen, I don't know about you.

#9 The Xevious

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:34 PM

Nah, this is an issue that the motherbaord doesn't even start the BIOS, yet alone Windows!

#10 Santano

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

Xevious, your local computer store (Fries?) should work with you on this.

Take your PC to the nearest store, ask if they have a mobo and or some ram you could test with to see which isnt working properly, or test using your own.

#11 WC40

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:54 PM

here easy fix http://www.badcaps.net/

#12 The Xevious

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:03 PM

here easy fix http://www.badcaps.net/

How is that an easy fix? :blink:

I'm going to get a replacement for the problem ram, which I believe was sized bad.
I will also get a replacement motherboard, because this one is fried.

Both are under warranty, so I should get them for free. I hope. <_<

#13 paper_gh0st

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:29 PM

i promise u its not the ram..

i had almost the exact same problem with my pc during the hurricane.. i got a voltmeter for my 400watt psu and it showed it was giving some juice. i figured it wasnt the problem. my mobo beeped when it had a problem POSTing so i figured it was RAM or GFX... nope... they worked just fine.

i got tired of it for a while so i kept fiddling with the power connection to my mobo and every once in a while i got it to boot. that was the solid evidence i needed. BAD PSU. even though it was giving juice it wasn't functioning properly. if it was a generic brand like mine which was a compusa 400watt... it dies fast.

i ordered a 480 thermaltake butterfly... LOW AND BEHOLD IT RUNS and it even purrs. no problems ever since... but my RAM went bad just recently but it still runs and get a blue screen every ten minutes. WOOHOO.

soo... try switching out your psu and see if that is what the problem is.

#14 The Xevious

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:38 PM

i had almost the exact same problem with my pc during the hurricane.. i got a voltmeter for my 400watt psu and it showed it was giving some juice. i figured it wasnt the problem. my mobo beeped when it had a problem POSTing so i figured it was RAM or GFX... nope... they worked just fine.

I dont even get a POST or a beep. Everything spins up fine, and I have a 420 watt (not true) but only 1 optical drive and 1 hard drive. One PCI Card, a motherboard, a Athlon64 3000+ and a Radeon 9600XT (which does not take an additional connector).

I have reset the CMOS too, with no result either.

#15 paper_gh0st

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

I dont even get a POST or a beep. Everything spins up fine, and I have a 420 watt (not true) but only 1 optical drive and 1 hard drive. One PCI Card, a motherboard, a Athlon64 3000+ and a Radeon 9600XT (which does not take an additional connector).

I have reset the CMOS too, with no result either.

u still didnt say if u tried switching power supplies

#16 The Xevious

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

I have no other power supply that I could work with, the other one doesn't have a Athlon64 CPU connector, only a standard mobo ATX. I am going to get a new one, and I guess I will check that first.

#17 TheChozeLa

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

look like motherb.. for me if you disconnect all ram press power and ear a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppp!! then the motherb.. is ok but if no bip come out of the internal speaker its the motherb...

#18 The Xevious

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

Okay, please read the entire topic before you reply. I get NO MESSAGE, at all, no POST, no BEEP, nothing!

I have also made a new discovery, the kingston is bad in any computer I put it in, it is going back for free replacement. If I put the PQI ram into the second computer, it works fine, thats good! But no matter what RAM I put into this mobo, or no ram at all, I get nothing.

So:

Kingston - Replace @ Fries
PQI - Keep
Motherboard- Replace @ Newegg

Now, I am having problems finding NewEgg replacement stuff. I have a ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 ->This<- Can anybody help me find the returns/exchange information reguarding it? I am assuming I still fall under policy here http://www.newegg.co...eturnPolicy.asp

I bought it in December 13th 2005, I believe I am still okay.

#19 TheChozeLa

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:18 AM

Okay, 1st it was simply a little tips for every1 to know if youre MB is dead or if its ok!!!!!!!!!! stop screamin for nothing!!!!!

2nd youre ok for warenty!! all you need is the "RMA" thing (the faq : http://www.newegg.co...il.asp?Module=6 )

go in ur acount and clik on rma request and follw the step!!!!!!!!

it will probabli take a few week before you receve youre new part!!!!

#20 The Xevious

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:31 AM

You're the one screaming with all your !!! and !!!. :P

I know the motherboard is dead, and I know I am replacing it through newegg. I have already looked at my RMA and I can request one for a replacement. The Kingston I wil return tonight to Fry's because I also need a new headset. :D :P

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com