Photo

Windows XP SP2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:10 AM

Just a quick note to all you Mooners who don't keep up with windows updates. XP SP2 comes out Tues. or Wed.. As always, this will fook things up for a bunch of us. Be ready for it. The big thing that may cause issues for us is the new internet/network security stuff that Micro Satan added to this update.

Any of our comp gurus that have hints for us please stand by.

P.S. the dl is about 270 mb.

#2 Enforcer

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:14 AM

Jack is right. I have read where the Microsoft folks have aniticipated this and will provide an auto detect kinda thing that will ask you if you want this to go through now, or always..and make it easier for online gamers like we all are. So we shall see what happens.

#3 DeadlyDon

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:36 AM

TheInquirer.net has this article about security issues with SP2 for XP. It seems to be a good thing for AMD users and a "bad" thing for Intel users. Basically, there is anti-virus stuff in SP2 that AMD can take advantage of but Intel cannot. It has something to do with the NX flag that AMD 64-bit systems have and none of the Intel CPU have yet. Intel plans on having this support in several months(Q4, whenever the hell that is!).

#4 Enforcer

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:28 AM

(Q4, whenever the hell that is!).

my guess would be fourth quarter..2004. october, november december.

#5 LeadPoison

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:53 AM

SP2 is out now if you know where to look, also if you are a msdn subscriber its up for dl now. I got my copy of sp2 last night off bit torrent, haven't installed it yet though.

For those who can't wait, and know how to use bit torrent or p2p networks you can find it out there. I won't give a direct link but here is what to look for if you're so inclined.

File Name:
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

Size:
278,927,592 bytes

#6 Why Two Kay

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:51 PM

HA! I was gived the beta from Microsoft. They let me beta-test a few things. I say that its pretty useful and adds a few performance tweaks. Well, only about another few months til the next one :rolleyes:

#7 LeadPoison

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:39 PM

Here is the direct link for download, Microsoft windows xp service pack 2

#8 Enforcer

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

Is there any feedback from the community on the service pack yet, and how does it affect online gaming? I would hate for this new firewall feature to totally blow the access ports. Also, if it does, we need to be prepared for a tutorial or something on how to fix it so we can continue to play..

#9 LeadPoison

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:05 PM

Once you install it, it will show you the "windows security center" gui. It's very easy to turn off the firewall, automatic updates and virus detection settings. No problems here with gaming.

#10 DeadlyDon

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:39 PM

I have heard that there are some problems with SP2. I believe one is with ZoneAlarm and another is DivX. Anyway, here is the link.

#11 LeadPoison

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:47 PM

"One of the security features in SP2 is intended to help slow down the spread of Sasser type malicious programs, and SP2's stack apparently only allows 10 simultaneous connections per port, compared to the previously unlimited connections."

Don't know about that, I was connected to 14 people on one port on a p2p this morning.

#12 Jack

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:31 PM

SP2 is on my comp and I do not see any problems so far. I ran the game, RA, TS, and all the other major apps on my PC over the last day and no problems with any of them thus far. Stay tuned......

#13 Lin

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:38 PM

I would be really interested to know what default settings you ran with, and which ones you changed/turned off?

Enforcer also had loaded SP2, and has noticed a slower response to certain things...sending/receiving email, starting TS, starting AkWare, etc.

#14 LeadPoison

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:56 PM

Here's what changes......

-The firewall will be turned on
-Messenger will be turned off by default
-Media Bar has been removed from Internet Explorer 6
-New version: Windows Movie Maker 2.1
-You can no longer print or print preview a Web page that includes an ActiveX object

-XP SP2 includes a new power-management option for Windows XP. You can now use the tool Powercfg.exe to configure power-management settings from the command line

-The new Wireless Network Setup Wizard makes it easier to create a security-enabled wireless network and add a new computer or device to an existing wireless network

-When you install SP2, Internet Explorer 6 is updated and includes a new security setting, called Binary Behaviors. To view this setting, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Security, and then click Custom Level.

-The Security Center is a new feature in SP2 that tracks and reports your computer's security settings and sends you alerts if your settings might be putting your computer at risk.

-Automatic Updates will help improve the security of your computer. By default, after you install SP2, these updates are installed automatically when you shut down your computer. If the 'Turn off computer' dialog box appears, it displays a new security shield icon that gives you the option to 'Update and Turn Off' your computer. If you choose this option, the downloaded updates are installed, and then your computer shuts down.

In the new "security center" I turned all options off, the firewall, the antivirus detection, and the automatic updates. I also turned off the new ie pop up blocker as I prefer the google toolbar pop up blocker.

I have tried every app I have on the hd and noticed no problems.

#15 Jack

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:32 AM

One issue so far. Media Player 7 was replaced with 9 when I did the SP2 upgrade. I hate 9 so I tried to re-install 7. When I did, windows said that the 7 version is not compatible with this new version of windows. So, is there any way of going back to 7? If not, can I get rid of the 9 seeing how I really don't want it to use up my resouces and spy on me?

#16 Why Two Kay

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:57 AM

One issue so far. Media Player 7 was replaced with 9 when I did the SP2 upgrade. I hate 9 so I tried to re-install 7. When I did, windows said that the 7 version is not compatible with this new version of windows. So, is there any way of going back to 7? If not, can I get rid of the 9 seeing how I really don't want it to use up my resouces and spy on me?

Possible Choices

1. Go into Windows Media Player 9. Then in the Tools menu go to Options. In the File Types Slide, clikc Uncheck All Then find a media player you like (see #2) and use that instead.

2. Go to Start --> Run --> and type mplayer2. This will bring up a very old windows media player, loads very quickly and looks basic. Also, it wont spy on you... :unsure: Go to the View menu, and click options. Then go to the last tab, and click Select All, to have things play in that media player. Its kinda like media player 6.

3. Download windows media player 10. It has options for changing some of the "spying" settings. I dont really care, cause I'm not playing anything that I dont want Microsoft to know about. Although, I'm not too sure about you..... :rolleyes:

WMP 10 is only available as a beta., it has no page on the Microsoft Site, but I was given a testing copy, and I can give you a link.

http://download.micr...9/MP10Setup.exe
There, thats a hidden link. Its not the technical beta, its the next beta.

#17 LeadPoison

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:44 AM

I just use DivX pro and Dr. DivX. I like it much better than Window media. Looks like you are sol for now about media 7. If ya want to uninstall media 9, go to the run prompt and type "'RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall" Without the quotes. Try DivX, you might like it better.

You may also like xine and Mplayer.

#18 LeadPoison

Posted 14 August 2004 - 11:03 AM

Cool guide to a little post sp2 TCP-IP Connection Speed Tweak: Link

#19 Cosa Nostra

Posted 14 August 2004 - 02:46 PM

Since I installed sp2 I have seen Warning Connection Promblems on a reg basis.My display has also went to H*ll.

#20 Jack

Posted 14 August 2004 - 05:51 PM

Did you check if ATI has anything to say about SP2?

Thanks Lead and 2Kills. Ran the TCP/IP optimizer and no probs so far.

As far as WMP9, I'll leave it be for now. I will worry about it later. I'm sure someone out there will figure out how to nuke it.

BTW, I noticed that SP2 put .net Messenger 4.7 back on my comp. Here is an easy way to nuke that little bastard.

http://dougknox.com/ then click on Win XP Tips. Go to the last one on the right (Windows Messenger Remove). Dl the little file and run it. You may get an OCX error message which means nothing. The end.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com