Photo

RAID 0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheL3gend

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

Hey, I know some people here have experience with RAID arrays, and I have a few questions...

I know that RAID 0 is where you have 2 identical HDDs and they do "data stripping" and basically double the speed and capacity.

If I wanted to do this, what exactly would I need?

-2 identical HDDs (I have one.)
-Motherboard that supports it (check).
-? Anything else? I've heard of RAID Controllers, but is that software or something physical?

I searched around Google on how to setup Raid 0 but most just gave me info about. And btw, I'm not sure if I actually want to do this or not, I'm just curious.

Thanks. :)

#2 Why Two Kay

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

If your motherboard supports RAID0, then you do not need any extra hardware or software. Windows will do fine with it. Just make sure your BIOS has it enabled, which it should be.

#3 TheL3gend

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

Cool. I like the thought of 2 WD Raptors in RAID 0. :evileye:

I've got this mobo: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813136166

And in the RAID it says: SATA RAID -- NV RAID 0/1/0+1/5 JBOD

NV Raid as in nVidia?

And one other thing... how would defragmenting work if half the data is on one drive and half on the other? 0_o

#4 KatManDu

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

You will probably need the nVidia RAID drivers to run your setup. Defragmenting works just fine. I used to have 2 raptors in raid too, but it felt unsecure (especially when the backups are out of date all the time). Now I am running 1 raptor for windows and programs, the other one for games. Both are quick and feels easier to backup.

Here is the setup pdf file

#5 TheL3gend

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

I think I get it... kind of... :unsure:

Right now I have one Raptor. If I got a second one, I guess the steps would be.

1. Backup all data I want saved.

2. Plug both into SATA plugs.

3. Enable both HDDs in BIOS.

4. Enable RAID 0 from BIOS.

5. Install Windows?

#6 glennwood_quagmire

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

You might also want to set up a 3rd drive to back up the RAID system (this can be done while your sleeping ect.). This 3rd drive will be a mirror of your RAID system and can be run off one of the IDE channels, you would use a program like GHOST to backup the RAID drive once a month or so. This way if the RAID system ever crashes you can restore it from the backup drive.

GQ

PS: http://en.wikipedia....isks#RAID_0.2B1

Edited by glennwood_quagmire, 06 November 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#7 anode

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

I am running a Raid0+1 with 4 WD disks so i have the striping and mirror. As for a defrag on a raid0, both discs have the same data, it is not shared half on one and half on the other. What happens is that your controller pulls some data from one disc, and some data from the other disc. When you do a defrag, it'll be on the primary disc, and the secondary will then adjust to copy the first one. This is done behind your back generally, using a backround utility that comes with either your controller software, or with windows, depending on what you used to set up your array. I could be wrong, but i think to have a proper raid mirror, you cannot use just one disc, but are required to have 2. The way i understand it, all 4 of my HDs have exactly the same data on them, its just that the 0 part is for security, and the 1 part is for speed.
I am still learning this, as i have just in the last two weeks gone from simply a raid0 to a raid0+1.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com