Photo

MoonGamers Chernarus is MOVING

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lin

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Survival Servers has lived up to their reputation and on Friday night, at prime game time, our server could not even hold two players without having major issues. Others simply could not join and the ones that were in could not unlock vehicles, use the trader, etc. I sent a "Fix your crap" support ticket in and I do not expect any kind of response or fix, based on past dealings with them.

So we are moving. CRDraggin and I will be working on moving the server this week. We will be sure to put up the new IP as soon as we are sure we have it running well.

Stay tuned...MoonGamers is on the move!

#2 BOVA

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

Okay Lin thank you for keeping us updated. :)

#3 Enforcer

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Moving...yes...and with the issues at Survival, I can see why they are but, $20 a month. So, on that note though, the question of starting over again has come up.

The arguments:

For Starting over with a clean slate. It is just that..a clean slate. I am told we have a number of players that do not visit our server any longer. They felt for one reason or another that the Moongamers server was too tame and in turn, boring. So, they left to greener pastures. BUT, that left a whole lotta stuff just sitting around doing nothing but taking up space. So, starting over gets rid of all that stuff from those who will no longer be around.

For NOT starting over: Many people spent a lot of time building what they have built, accumulated what they have and they do not want to have to start over. This would be the second time that they have had to start over and they don't want to deal with the hassle of collecting things again.

Course, is that not just part of the game..last time, there was a very rich economy with many copters to get many briefcases of gold to buy all the cinder you want. I think with a new server, and lessons learned from the last beginning, this start may not be quite as easy as the last.

So what say you, the players left who will play the Moongamers server, who are on these forums and have become a Moongamers member? I feel those that have come here, joined the forum and have included themselves in this community should have a say over those that have not put out the effort to become a Moonie.

#4 Lin

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

Just as an update...They have responded to the ticket but only to tell me how great they are. They DID credit us the 3 days they said they would but it's not applicable until July (ostensibly so that if we leave due to bad service they won't actually have provided an active credit).

In the meantime, Chernarus is no longer on the automatic restart schedule, or at least it hasn't been for the last 24+ hours, I have been having to manually restart it. Napf also missed its restart this morning, I sent Corpse a Skype about that so he can restart if/when he wishes.

We have the add'l IPs, and this morning we will be restarting the box in order to get the SSD working. Then...we will start installing DayZ stuff and prepare for the move this weekend. We WILL be copying out our current database in case you all decide you want to continue with our current bases and not start over.

#5 Enforcer

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Lin for the update. Is there anything anyone else can do to help you guys on the behind the scenes stuff?

#6 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

I think it's fun to start all over again BUT it would suck to lose everything again, which took along time to build up. I heard Lin say something about being able to have a 2ndd character in the server, that would be fun aswell. Like your normal character for normal and a 2nd one to goof around.

#7 Lin

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Foze, until we move I can certainly use a hand to make sure the server has been rebooted at the "normal" times. I will likely have a handle on it for the most part, and we'll probably need a "boot thread" to keep track and coordinate until the move.

Would be nice if they would actually fix it but I do not anticipate they will.

#8 Edamame

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

This will be my first restart. So I'm sure it bothers me less than others. I'm good either way. I do think this can be very good for cleaning up a lot of the old bases and locked vehicles all over the map that I haven't seen being used.

A side note that is somewhat related to this. Personally, I think it would be a good time to also move the BTR-60s to the jewel currency. I realize that hasn't been implemented yet. However, if we do restart it would allow us to start it off with a clean slate and move that vehicle to more costly system. Since, it' makes things too easy IMO. At the same time I think we should add in some other armed vehicles to compensate for this. Mainly for variety. The Jackals and lower end BTR-40. Don't get me wrong I love my BTR-60. But for a vehicle that is that powerful; it should be harder to get than 5 or even 12 briefcases.

#9 LoverBoy.USA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

I love the restart. For one point its cause I'm overly bored since I can afford and build anything in the game. A fresh start and there is some things I wish I could do with me stuff that I messed up on the first time. I mean I could just ask the admins to wipe my safes and clear my bases but that would only go so far for me. With everyone starting flat rate it will even out the playing field and we can clear out some lag in Stary. I love the idea of higher prices on selections and the want for people to go helicopter/car hunting. Some people including me have used BTR's on missions but the fun part of the missions is danger. I think I wont buy one if we restart cause it is such a powerful vehicle and I always feel safe in it.

#10 Lin

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

I do believe we're planning to make the economy harder; it has been too easy. I like the idea of using the gems to "purchase" the BTR60, that is doable.

I am still in the middle on a server Mulligan. I have no problem rebuilding all of my assets and starting over...none. However, as an admin and Core member, I also have to look at a more global picture and realize there are a few players not represented here, and we need to remember the work involved in the many FnF's that Miller provided for the community, along with other community builds. We could plot pole the community builds and turn on decay (but that still doesn't zap all of the unused vehicles, they would require admin deletion).

I guess we're down to the same three choices:

1. Status quo
Do nothing and admin-zap whatever needs to be zapped.
2. Decay
Turn on decay, plot pole all of the FnF/community sites and remember where they are to feed the meter.
3. Mulligan
Make the economy harder and start over.

What to do...what to do.

#11 Irish_Trunks

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

It takes a good while to rebuild my Electro base and since my time is back to being really limited, it would take quuuiiiiite a long time to rebuild my base there. So I would prefer a transfer. But there again, that's a personal matter and I'm adaptable. :)

#12 Edamame

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

I vote for 3.

As for decay I'm still against it. I view it as if you have agreed to sign on to be an admin it's just part of the job you signed up for. To me it like being an Officer in a MMO guild. You do it for the greater good. Which often means you have to put up with and deal with stuff that isn't always fun.

Also as Lin has mentioned it only deals with bases and not vehicles. It only solves half the problem. Active admins and players will have a good idea of which bases have been abandoned.

If we do decide to do decay. Then I would suggest it be moved to silver if at all possible. Atleast that ways it's not too hefty to the point it feels like work for everyone.

#13 Lin

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

I have sent out a few emails asking why some players have stopped playing at the server. One said it was boring, another said the lag has been too much. The third just gave an odd response. We'll be adding mods and more excitement after the move, and the move itself will take care of the lag. I was kind of hoping to see if there would be more preferences about how to restart in the responses, but it looks like we're still left with six of one and half dozen of another.

#14 Thirteen

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:19 AM

I will do whatever the community votes for.

As a player with limited time on the server I realize that what I have built and what my goals were did not match up due to the scope and size of the build project vs. the limited time resource I have. So rebuilding what I have so far would be a big blow to what I have. However, I have found that building the big base that I wanted to build in Electro was way more than what I really need. I am more inclined to do something very basic next time, more like what Randigar built (initially since he keeps changing it) at the base of the BASH airfield. Where it may lack in style it more than makes up for in usability. Same goes for Lin's Stary base, It has space to grow, contains an area where if you want to shut out the AI and other players while you craft, etc you can. Now I think I want a place where I can park vehicles and access them with some relative safety would be nice. But this huge monstrosity that I planned on in Electro may be a fun project, for me it is very long term.

As an Admin, I would rather that others game and fun come before my personal game. I at times, not nearly as much as Lin, will go around and spend my money on fixing community things. I.e. the Motorcycles at Stary that keep the Zeds out. They constantly need repairing. Fixing the evac / emergency helil's at Stary when they have been shot up by missions that spawn nearby. Refilling Jerry cans that have been left at community F&F's that have been left empty by either a player in a hurry, or a player who just doesn't understand the suggestions about community stuff.

All and all I will be fine with either choice. The more I play the more I realize I can deal with whatever the game throws at me.

My official vote is: abstain

Thanks for a wonderful place to play and a wonderful group to play with!

#15 Thumper

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Just my 2 cents, I haven't been on in a very long time due to the lag issue (which progressively gets worse as players expand their bases) as an example Stary is impossible for me to be around now due to the lag caused by all of the player builds. In my search to remedy the issue (thinking that it was my internet connection or my computer) another feasible cause is it's a server issue. The reason I say a server issue is I have visited other servers and the game plays like butter (at least for me) but when I get to the MG server my frame rate takes a nose dive. We all have our limits and Day Z on the older MG hit my limit, for me, I would consider the game unplayable. I hope the new server will improve game play and I may be back. This isn't a slam on MG it's just the way the ball bounces.

#16 Enforcer

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

Thumper, on the bright, or down side depending on how you look at it, you are not the only one. I, also get a fair amount of chugging when coming into Stary. I don't know if it is because of the basic town structure within the Dayz game itself, or all the building within those same confines.

I would have already suggested it, but, came to realization that there was no way I could ask anyone to follow it..but, it would have more or less, please do not build on top of a trader area as it becomes so congested with so many people coming and going. Sure, it is convenient to have a base at Stary, one near Bash, one near Klen, or Hero so you don't have to hump your stuff "all that way". But, I have heard about the game chugging along for people when entering the Stary zone because of the many bases, vehicles and such that have popped up. And then you add those three or four bases to five or more players and all of a sudden, there are bases in and around everything. I know, I know, building is part of this game and that is the draw for some, but, at the same time should there be some kind of limit imposed on building.

The other problem with building so close to a trader is that people are coming and going all the darn time. And some of them, may be less careful around your base than you would like them to be. So, there is always reason for alarm as it is almost dangerous to leave your assets in such close proximity to all the hubbub.

On our first server, we were warned the building in a city would have a detrimental effect on some with regard to framerate. It appears you are a victim of that on the Survival Server. I cannot speak about pure frame rate on our server vs other servers. Were they also Survival Servers, or do you know? We don't have any control over what resources are sent to the Moongamers server vs any other server on the same box that we are sharing. I have played on our dedicated box for several hours and can say I do not get the chugging that I experience on the SS server. The database we imported from our existing game, so all the bases are there, and yet still not real lag issues for me. So, I am hoping that we are getting that worked out by moving to our box and offering the game vs going through a hosting company.

But, back on topic, there still seem to be just a few options:

Leave the database as is and find someway to get rid of the items that are no longer needed/used by non players or start over with a clean database and have to rebuild everything. Right now, it seems most are against decay, and leave the database as is, and let the admins blast items that may not be used any longer. So, if you are in forums, and reading this, go ahead and start making a list of what you have and where it is. After that list is compiled, I suppose we could announce in forum and in TS that the base at coordinates X and Y is slated for demolition on X date. Speak now or forever hold your peace. If you are in a city, let us know where. If your in a city and there is a trader, consider scaling back some of the items and/or vehicles housed there. I don't know..some of this is just thinking while typing..I'll go along with what the community decides as a whole, but these were my initial thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com