Photo

Keymaster

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 leadmagnet

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

Hey all, I'm leadmagnet.  I've noticed that some of us aren't the best at making sure we have copies for our keys, and that we lament their loss and end up asking the admins to delete those shiny BTRs or Wildcats.  In order to alleviate some of the workload of the admins and help increase peace of mind, I've decided to take on the role of keymaster.

What does that mean?  It means that, for a price, you'll no longer have to worry about lost keys!  Feel free to carry every key you own into a black mission 2 minutes before restart!

I will duplicate and store every key you like in my secure storage (which is separate from my personal storage).

I will maintain a log of which key is from which user, so that prompt service can be rendered, and every time a copy is requested, I simply duplicate the one on hand so that no possibility of further loss can occur.

Pricing is as follows:

Ultimate package - 1 Obsidian

Permanent membership, unlimited storage/retrieval, on-site initial duplication service free of charge (must provide fire & workbench), free key delivery. Additional storage @ 1 brief per key (IE, you buy a new vehicle after the initial duplication event).

Wanderer package - 1 Sapphire

Permanent membership, storage of 10 keys, Complimentary retrieval, 1 brief charge for delivery.  On-site initial duplication free of charge (most provide fire & workbench), Additional storage @ 1 brief per key (IE, you buy a new vehicle after the initial duplication event).

Survivor package - 1 Ruby

Permanent membership, storage of 5 keys, 1 brief charge for retrieval, 1 brief charge for delivery.  On-site initial duplication free of charge (most provide fire & workbench), Additional storage @ 1 brief per key (IE, you buy a new vehicle after the initial duplication event).

Newbie package - 2 briefs

Temporary membership, storage of 1 key.  1 brief charge for retrieval, 1 brief charge for delivery.  Initial duplication free of charge (only at my base), no additional storage.  

In each case, save for ultimate, package price can be applied to package upgrade, for example, you may upgrade from Wanderer to Ultimate for 1 additional Sapphire.

Let me know if you're interested!

• CrDraggin likes this

#2 TomKnollRFV

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:01 PM

Power to ya if this works man!

• leadmagnet likes this

#3 TomKnollRFV

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

Has any one taken you up on this? I'm seriously considering it.

#4 Hollywood703

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:40 AM

I want the god package...24/7 access, available by text at a moments notice. Unlimited keys, storage and delivery. Worth 3 Obsidians. Penalty for delays.

#5 Warrior124

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

Leadmagnet, it's great you want to do this, but do you have any contendancy plans just incase you're not on for a long while (ie:due to vacation), or even leave the game? I was considering doing something like this awhile back, but even I don't know if something will happen where I won't be available for a long while. That, plus what if something happens to the server that could wipe out some things, including the copies of the keys people paid you to keep. Anything could happen where people would look at you as responsible for their vehicles security, and such. So, even though it seems as a small responsibility could turn into something big. If you take this on you need to plan on the future lol. Yes, this is just a game, but many people gets hurt if things turn south, and they don't have access to their vehicles. Especially if they spent alot of time gathering up alot of money, or finding that obsidian, and had paid alot to have that security. My biggest worry though is are you committed to staying with us, and the game? Just some things to think about before taking on this commitment. :)

P.S.: and if you do give out your number for text alerts consider the backlash you may get from your customers if you find yourself in a position where you are unable to help. Not trying to discourage you, but just giving you some food for thought, lol.

#6 TomKnollRFV

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

I'm considering this more of a contingency plan to having my own back up keys. No one should purely rely on this if they do it. You could be stuck a day or so with out yer backup key otherwise.

#7 Hollywood703

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:49 PM

P.S.: and if you do give out your number for text alerts consider the backlash you may get from your customers if you find yourself in a position where you are unable to help. Not trying to discourage you, but just giving you some food for thought, lol.

this was a joke actually.....I just wanted to see how far he would go.

#8 Enforcer

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

Understand, this endeavor will receive zero admin support.  So, if you lose whatever, leadmagnet, you will responsible for your customers.  This is in no way a moongamers thing. 

Just an FYI.

#9 leadmagnet

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

Has any one taken you up on this? I'm seriously considering it.

Not yet.  At this point I'm not expecting anyone to, and figure my idea was just too optimistic.

I want the god package...24/7 access, available by text at a moments notice. Unlimited keys, storage and delivery. Worth 3 Obsidians. Penalty for delays.

Ok, but only for you, hollywood. <3

Leadmagnet, it's great you want to do this, but do you have any contendancy plans just incase you're not on for a long while (ie:due to vacation), or even leave the game? I was considering doing something like this awhile back, but even I don't know if something will happen where I won't be available for a long while. That, plus what if something happens to the server that could wipe out some things, including the copies of the keys people paid you to keep. Anything could happen where people would look at you as responsible for their vehicles security, and such. So, even though it seems as a small responsibility could turn into something big. If you take this on you need to plan on the future lol. Yes, this is just a game, but many people gets hurt if things turn south, and they don't have access to their vehicles. Especially if they spent alot of time gathering up alot of money, or finding that obsidian, and had paid alot to have that security. My biggest worry though is are you committed to staying with us, and the game? Just some things to think about before taking on this commitment. :)

I was planning on having a second user who was interested in splitting the profit 50/50 that would be capable of accessing my lockup, and would have a copy of the master key list.  My plan was to call this person my Gatekeeper.  I don't figure I pose any more risk to a player's keys than their own behavior, and given how much I've been spending online lately, I wanted to help others via my availability.  That said, when I go back to work, I won't be online nearly as much, and the Gatekeeper position would become FAR more important.  As far as being responsible for things outside of my control (such as server issues, etc), all I can say is that I'd do the best I could within the means I have available.  Much as I would love to be 'Johnny on the spot' with text/phone access 24/7, realistically that isn't going to happen without real money, and I don't want to involve real money with my leisure time.  That makes sense, yeah?

I'm considering this more of a contingency plan to having my own back up keys. No one should purely rely on this if they do it. You could be stuck a day or so with out yer backup key otherwise.

That's all I ever intended it to be.  Just a secondary/tertiary 'oh crud, I've gone and dorked up in a big way, what can I do' option.  I kept/keep seeing users lose multiple gems worth of vehicles because they couldn't be bothered to spend 2 minutes to copy the keys and store them, and I thought it might be a swell idea to offer an option for players to prevent this.

this was a joke actually.....I just wanted to see how far he would go.

All the way for you, hollywood.  LOL!

Understand, this endeavor will receive zero admin support.  So, if you lose whatever, leadmagnet, you will responsible for your customers.  This is in no way a moongamers thing. 

Just an FYI.

:confused-smiley-013:  OK?  I never sought or claimed affiliation with MG (beyond really enjoying being a member and playing with everyone) for this project.  In fact I thought I made it pretty clear that part of the reasoning behind the project was to decrease admin workload via an alternative for users' key storage.  How many hours of playtime have admins lost due to 'please delete this vehicle because I died with key before restart', 'this is definitely my vehicle but my key is missing, can you unlock it', 'can i get a key made for a vehicle I lost the key to', etc.  I'm sorry if anyone got the vibe that I was somehow representing MG or admin support, because that just isn't the case.  

Anyhoo, I'm sensing a general negative response to the whole thing, so I'm going to (for now) pull the plug on this.  If anyone is interested in my services, contact me in-game and I'll discuss it there.  =D 

#10 Thirteen

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

I seriously thought this was a semi trollish post to point out the fact that you really really should dupe your keys...I never thought you were really considering it.

Heh  I almost ROFL'd, I definately LOL'd.

Thanks for the laugh and the willingness to serve your fellow player.  My concerns are the same as Warriors...  I am glad you are putting this on hold for now. 

If you do decide to do this, then there needs to be a disclaimer to protect yourself and MG.  I.e. you do not warranty any such service due to the fact that this game is known to be glitchy and as such keys may get lost, broken, or otherwise nullified due to server issues and data base issues inherent to the game.  Also, that in no event shall this transaction constitute a obligation on your part to log in and spend X time on line for availability, This purely voluntary on your part when you are online. 

Bottom line, and you spelled it out in your first post, It takes 2 minutes to duplicate your key.  (Find a keymakers kit and carry it with you. You practiacally trip over them in many places)  Buy vehicle, Go Eat 6 cans of food, take empty cans to fire, smelt to tin bar, dupe key, fly home deposit key in your bag in your safe keeping location.  Done.  Now of course this did not help if you die etc on the way home from inital purchase but it's really really easy.

I personally keep extra TIN and a key-makers kit in my builder shed.  when I get a new vehicle, I dupe the key and place it in a shed.  I keep all my keys in that shed. (I am changing that soon, since DayZ giveth and DayZ taketh away.)

Cheers mate!

#11 leadmagnet

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

I seriously thought this was a semi trollish post to point out the fact that you really really should dupe your keys...I never thought you were really considering it.

Heh  I almost ROFL'd, I definately LOL'd.

Thanks for the laugh and the willingness to serve your fellow player.  My concerns are the same as Warriors...  I am glad you are putting this on hold for now. 

If you do decide to do this, then there needs to be a disclaimer to protect yourself and MG.  I.e. you do not warranty any such service due to the fact that this game is known to be glitchy and as such keys may get lost, broken, or otherwise nullified due to server issues and data base issues inherent to the game.  Also, that in no event shall this transaction constitute a obligation on your part to log in and spend X time on line for availability, This purely voluntary on your part when you are online. 

Bottom line, and you spelled it out in your first post, It takes 2 minutes to duplicate your key.  (Find a keymakers kit and carry it with you. You practiacally trip over them in many places)  Buy vehicle, Go Eat 6 cans of food, take empty cans to fire, smelt to tin bar, dupe key, fly home deposit key in your bag in your safe keeping location.  Done.  Now of course this did not help if you die etc on the way home from inital purchase but it's really really easy.

I personally keep extra TIN and a key-makers kit in my builder shed.  when I get a new vehicle, I dupe the key and place it in a shed.  I keep all my keys in that shed. (I am changing that soon, since DayZ giveth and DayZ taketh away.)

Cheers mate!

While I did want people to take care of themselves more (both in terms of keys and other issues), I was genuine in offering my time and service to help out the server.  I never expected as much negativity and doubt as I got.  Don't get me wrong, I'm as skeptical and churlish as they come, but if someone seems genuinely helpful I tend to not assume the worst.  It just feels like there's too much concern for what-ifs and absolution of liability.  Last I checked, this game is very buggy, unforgiving and generally difficult to deal with.  I like a challenge. =D  I also like helping people who seem to be struggling, so that they can enjoy the game more.  I don't think anyone is going to get upset with me for doing the best I can to help them out.  Even if I'm wrong, what is lost?  Say someone pays me an obsidian to take care of their stuff, and I log off, never to be seen again.  Worst-case scenario, right?  They're out a couple days' work (MAX), and a minute's worth of ore vein cracking (MIN) to replace said obsidian.  If you're playing on the server for more than a week, you have something worth losing.  My offer was to alleviate the possibility of losing those things.  Best case scenario, I'm holding dupes for a player, and their safes eat all their keys (and their personal dupes).  Now they can come to me (assuming this isn't a server wide database issue which nothing would've prevented) and I can help them get their hard-earned vehicles back.  Anyway, this is clearly too risky a service to offer, and will somehow expose myself and MG (which I've never claimed to represent or act as an agent of) to some sort of nebulous liability.  Please, a thousand pardons for ever considering the idea.

So yeah, I'm disheartened and disappointed.  I thought offering something like this would be more positively received and that I may have made a few briefs in the process, all while helping people out.  I'll just keep my head down and play now.   I can't edit my original post to delete/disavow the offer, so if a mod could lock this thread up, that'd be completely rad.  Don't hesitate to ask me for a hand in-game.  I'm still good for it, most times.

#12 Lin

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:29 AM

You have a good heart. :)

#13 Warrior124

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

I didn't mean any negativity in my posts. It's just that I've seen people come and go. We've even had several people to become admins, and even seniors for many genres who left soon after committing to helping out. Something like this means taking on alot of responsibility, and even though it is just a game people still gets very upset when they work hard and take alot of time to gather up what they need to get what they want only to find they can no longer have what they got if you know what I mean. So, I am by no means asking you to not do this, or others to not pay you for this service. I'm just asking for everyone involved to make informed decisions before jumping in. I agree with Lin. You do have a good heart from what I can tell.

#14 TomKnollRFV

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:32 AM

Honestly Lead, if I played actively, I'd use yer services. The problem is I just..don't seemingly get into DayZ like I used to. :(

#15 Mugzy

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

Have the server devs ever thought about trying the master key script?

http://epochmod.com/...dated-06152014/

#16 TomKnollRFV

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:39 PM

You can have an admin make a 'master key'.

They tie all the keys you want to one key..but you need to have it updated with each new vehicle etc.

I dunno if they want to give players the ability to make their own master key due to scripts or what not.

#17 Warrior124

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:34 AM

We tried a scripted version before so everyone could make their own masterkeys, but we found it to be very buggy, and had to remove the script. This is why we are using the method we're using now.

#18 TomKnollRFV

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

@Warrior; odd. I wonder if it's a script conflict? There was a helluva militarized server I played on with self master key, never had issues with the script.

Course they had AI with AK-47s doing head shots at 300 meters to compensate for the script being there I suppose ;)

#19 Machino

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

You have a good heart. :)

Lead has no heart, or, if he does, it's full of lead.

#20 TomKnollRFV

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

Wish I had given Lead a copy of my keys just to occasionally move my vehicles etc. Logged in last week, POOF all my stuff gone, stupid me. Oh well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com