Photo

How to hook up duel monitors?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 BombeBomb

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

Well first to start with, im asumeing you need a video card that will hook them up, I got a radeon x700 pro not sure if it supports, but if it does can someone explane how, or even if it don't explane so I can learn for future items.

#2 Afrika Korps

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:55 PM

Is it All-In-Wonder?

-more info is needed.

#3 adinar

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

For one, you need to see if your video card will support multiple monitors. Check either ATi's website or Nvidia's website depending on what kind of card you have.

If so, the videocard should have multiple outputs - probably one VGA and one DVI.

If you're hooking up two monitors with VGA inputs, then you need to get an DVI-VGA adapter which may or may not come with your videocard if you bought one retail. If not, you can get one here:

DVI-VGA adapter from newegg.com

Otherwise, if you have a monitor with VGA and one with DVI, you should be ok. You may need extra drivers from Nvidia or ATi that support it - again, check their website. ATi uses something called HydraVision, while Nvidia uses TwinView.

In any case, just make sure your videocard can do mult. monitors, make sure you have the required drivers installed, and then hook up the monitors & reboot your computer.

Once the screens come up, you'll have to go into the ATi/Nvidia control panel (or Display Properties) & set up your settings for each monitor.

#4 Wasabi®

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:41 PM

If you've got a X700 Pro, you have one DVI port, one VGA port and a TV-OUT port. If you want to hook up two monitors, you will need to get one analog and one digital (VGA and DVI) monitor. But, if you for example have only analog, or only digital, then you'll need an adapter.

#5 Linux

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

I use a $50 PCI video card. I dont run any games on that monitor, just AIM, TS, Xfire, and such. So I use my NVIDIA GeForce 6800 on my 19" LCD, and the NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX400 on the 17" CRT.

#6 BombeBomb

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

For one, you need to see if your video card will support multiple monitors. Check either ATi's website or Nvidia's website depending on what kind of card you have.

If so, the videocard should have multiple outputs - probably one VGA and one DVI.

If you're hooking up two monitors with VGA inputs, then you need to get an DVI-VGA adapter which may or may not come with your videocard if you bought one retail. If not, you can get one here:

DVI-VGA adapter from newegg.com

Otherwise, if you have a monitor with VGA and one with DVI, you should be ok. You may need extra drivers from Nvidia or ATi that support it - again, check their website. ATi uses something called HydraVision, while Nvidia uses TwinView.

In any case, just make sure your videocard can do mult. monitors, make sure you have the required drivers installed, and then hook up the monitors & reboot your computer.

Once the screens come up, you'll have to go into the ATi/Nvidia control panel (or Display Properties) & set up your settings for each monitor.

I do have that adapter, it came with the box, so I do have what I need for duel monitors, im getting hydravision now, only thing left to do is get a power cord for this second monitor. Ill tell you all the story on how I got this second monitor and computer.

My sisters cd drive quit poping out, so she tears the side off, throws the side in trash (dip stick) then I drive by and I see a computer with the side off, on her front porch, with a dog wagging its tail on it. I asked her how long it had been out there, she said a week, we had 2 bad rain storms that week, so I told her the comp is prolly roached. I said can I have it, she said ya I don't know if it works tho. So now its mine, and it works fine lol its not a 64 bit byut hey :P 2.5gighurtz, 760megs ram and no video card slot besides PCI :( Still happy the computer was 800$ and she abushed it :(.

#7 BombeBomb

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:23 PM

Is it All-In-Wonder?

-more info is needed.

How would I go about finding that, or will the info thats already been given enough? Sorry for double post.

EDIT- ok I got both monitors working, but my next question is, is it possible to get 2 desktops with the start option, but run them sepretly, like one don't effect the other?

#8 ChRiS_52

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:58 PM

that depends on your Software that came with yur V-card...now i kno with mine..i kan have two different desktops but i cant access them at the same time..i need ot click a button to switch over to the next desktop...so if your asking if you kan have two seperat desktops that show up ( one on each monitor )...to my knowledge no...but you can have two desktops that you can switch between at the click of a button.

hope that helps

#9 BombeBomb

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:35 AM

that depends on your Software that came with yur V-card...now i kno with mine..i kan have two different desktops but i cant access them at the same time..i need ot click a button to switch over to the next desktop...so if your asking if you kan have two seperat desktops that show up ( one on each monitor )...to my knowledge no...but you can have two desktops that you can switch between at the click of a button.

hope that helps

Mine can have I think 9 desktops, so how would I go about useing the second monitor while gameing? Just slide the programs I need to see over to the second window?

#10 ChRiS_52

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:01 AM

yeah u kan definitely do that...but in order to access the icons while playing your going to have to hit Alt+Tab to take down the gaming screen...so you cant use your mouse to click on things while playing a game..

So u can have icons on your second monitor but not a seperate Start button..and all you have to do is drag the Icons over

#11 BombeBomb

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:56 AM

yeah u kan definitely do that...but in order to access the icons while playing your going to have to hit Alt+Tab to take down the gaming screen...so you cant use your mouse to click on things while playing a game..

So u can have icons on your second monitor but not a seperate Start button..and all you have to do is drag the Icons over

So I can't click on my second monitor while in bf2 anyways? that seems kind of odd.

#12 ChRiS_52

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:00 AM

well because your mouse is turned into your gun..so if you go to click on of your Icons...you might just become TKer of the day...lol
you would have to have a seperate mouse which is not possible
just hit Alt+Tab and it will Minimize your game

#13 BombeBomb

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:03 AM

well because your mouse is turned into your gun..so if you go to click on of your Icons...you might just become TKer of the day...lol
you would have to have a seperate mouse which is not possible
just hit Alt+Tab and it will Minimize your game

The game will only be played on first monitor, if i die for example then my mouse will not be my gun, then would it work? Have you tryed it? Could I use my keyboard to select items on the second monitor?

#14 ChRiS_52

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:12 AM

Ok..when the Game loads up..it tells the Computer to put the Function of the mouse and keyboard strictly to the Games uses..so ther is no way to leave the game up and click on icons or scroll with your Keyboard. But it takes but a few seconds to minimize the screen for a split seconds and for-fill your clikcing needs whether it be on the first or second Monitor. ;)

#15 BombeBomb

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE(ChRiS_52 @ Aug 16 2005, 07:12 AM)
;)rder=
As long as I can keep other windows open on my second tor and still have gon first illok, nplay the game and "look" at my other monitor right?

#16 ChRiS_52

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:03 AM

Roger That...

I set up Team Speak on my second monitor and play BF on my first...so then I can see who is talking and who is coming in and out

#17 BombeBomb

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:24 PM

Roger That...

I set up Team Speak on my second monitor and play BF on my first...so then I can see who is talking and who is coming in and out

Good thanks.

#18 Red Dragon/Mushu

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:42 AM

i have a idea for a dual screen setup which is to have my 2nd screen as a touch screen which would eliminate the need for me to minimise the game.
wouldnt it?
any thoughts?

sry about hijacking the thread but thought this waz a better idea then starting a new 1

#19 Linux

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:32 AM

That still would not work, as when you touch the screen, it is essentially being your mouse cursor. Due to your mouse cursor being tied up in the game, you would be unable to do anything with your touch-screen. The only way to make use of both monitors (that I have found) is in CS:S, by playing in the "Run in a Window" mode.

#20 Lady-Sapphire

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

I agree the touch screen would not work.

Now I feel Pimp, I run 3 monitors, and am capable of running 4 on this system.

Now you may ask, "Sapphy, How Do you Do THAT!?!"

Well It aint easy.

2 Cards, and ATI Radeon AIW 9600 AGP and an Nvidia PCI card. Both are DualHead cards. It also takes a lot of monitors and a lot of desk space. IT can also be a headach getting the drivers to play nice.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com