Photo

BF1942 Sound and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hornet

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

I thought I had this fixed when I updated my sound driver, but after a period of time the problem cropped up again.

Basically, what happens is that when sound is enabled, over time my fps ingame degrades from where it usually is (95-100), down to as bad as a constant of 10-15fps. I have tried numerous different combinations of the settings to no avail.

So what I'm asking is:
If you have had the same problem and fixed it, what settings worked for you?
What other things can I try to attempt to solve this?

Specs:
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
Sound: Integrated sound: "Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy HD Software Edition" with SigmaTel driver that came with Dell.

#2 Hornet

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

So now it seems to be a universal bf1942 issue more than just a sound issue. When I have sound disabled, the degradation of fps still happens, but at a much slower rate so idk whats going on :(

#3 Warrior124

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

I have been having the same issues at times. I use Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't know if it is something from my pc, or if it is Windows 7 itself. :unsure:

#4 KatManDu

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:57 AM

Win7 64 Ultimate on this computer now, and it works very well.

"D:\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" -heapsize 512000 +restart 1

is my shortcut on the desktop, and I run it in XP SP3 compatability mod.
I am not running it as administrator.

Only thing is that Hardware acceleration in sound options is greyed out, but I don't want to mess with it further as the game works.

#5 Hornet

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

Just played for about a couple of hours with no sound on at all ever. I had to leave because my fps was a consistent 20 and became unplayable. Anyone have any ideas at all?

#6 dodgem

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

I got an unplayable FPS on Win7 x64 when I tried to run it at 1920*1080. I now just run it at default resolution, and don't experience it anymore.

#7 Hornet

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

:( tried the default with no change as the result.

#8 Hornet

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

It would seem that I was mistaken in what that actually is. My laptop has plain integrated sound which has sigmaTel drivers to work with. That audigy thing doesn't actually help me determine what my laptop actually has because again, its just integrated sound. I'm starting to think that the drivers that are available for this system are too outdated with no real sign that a windows7 compatable version will come out any time soon. I tried a tip i found online to reinstall the driver running the installer in compatability mode for windows vista, however that did not end up solving the problem.

A more detailed analysis of whats happening ingame:
I start playing and have 100 fps for a good while before it seems like I'm hit with a brick wall, like some sound wasn't liked, and my fps drops by 10, and recovers slowly. As this keeps happening, the fps is constantly rising, but every time i hit one of these wall feeling things it drops by 10, and eventually the degradation forms like a black hole and it doesn't go up anymore, it just keeps going down. This happens with sound disabled as well, it just recovers much faster from these lag walls that keep hitting me, so it seems as though the degradation is at a much slower rate.

Edit:
Turns out my laptop came with another disk from creative i never found until i looked for it just now >_>

Edit2:

And it doesn't work. After some more research I have found that the software that came with the computer will not work with windows 7, the audigy software. The sigmatel drivers work however there is still the problem presented above. I guess either I have to buy a new computer, or downgrade to windows vista if I wan't to be able to play with sound again. that is unless someone has a good idea.

Edit3:
Found an updated sigmatel driver for the integrated sound by looking at newer laptop models and seeing what they had for drivers available. Gotto love dell, release a new driver for the same hardware on a newer computer and don't release it for the older computers that have identical hardware in them. But I joined game and didn't have any of the issues for an extended period of time. Hopefully that will stay that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com