Photo

Windows XP SP2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#21 DeadlyDon

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:47 AM

WindowsXP SP2 appears to have many issues. I'd read this article before installing it. Microsoft posted a list of programs they couldn't get to work right after installing SP2. Many were their own products....lol

http://www.theinquir.../?article=17869

#22 Jack

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:40 PM

I just checked my Windows services and I noticed a bunch of changes since SP2. First, there a few new ones that Black Viper doesn't cover. Second, a bunch of the ones I changed have been restored.

The end.

#23 Enforcer

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:55 AM

So, if you have already installed it, is there anyway to uninstall it? I, personally and not nearly the computer guru that some of you are. My machine seems to be working as well as it was before. I will run the TCP/IP tweak later, but, I can connect, do not get connection problems, and disabled all of ms's protection. I will also blast that windows net.messanger later. Other than that..

#24 Jack

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:07 AM

Yes there is. I just can't remember how. Unlike SP1 and SP1a it backs up your old config and lets you roll back. I know it is in your Add/Remove as an item so try it that way first. If that doesn't work call Bill and give him hell.

#25 Why Two Kay

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:57 PM

Recent Problem Experienced by Some:

Some people may be experiencing an issue when they attempt to go to Windows Update, that SP2 does not show up. This does NOT MEAN, that you dont need the update, it simple means there is a glitch in your windows update. To check go to Start --> Run and enter winver. You will get a popup box that says what version of Windows XP and what SP you have installed. This is also a good way to check if it installed correctly. In the event that you can not download SP2 off of Windows Update, and it didnt install correctly. Download the (yikes!) 227 MB full SP2 update. Then install it manually. It may be a hassle, but it will help you in the long run.

#26 DeadlyDon

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:10 PM

Microsoft officially delayed the launch of SP2 for about 7-9 days. They have been trying to contact mirror sites to ask them to remove the links they have. SP2 is still available to MSDN subscribers, as a beta download, but should not appear in the Windows Update list. DO NOT INSTALL SP2 UNTIL M$ OFFICIAL LAUNCHES IT THROUGH WINDOWS UPDATE!!! There are already hotfixes available for SP2 to fix major security already uncovered. Gool luck all. We are gonna need it...

#27 Jack

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:29 AM

Otay. I nuked SP2 this morning via the Add/Remove thing in ctrl. panel. So far so good, but I know that MicroSatan will find me. I'll keep you posted Enforcer.

#28 Enforcer

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:57 AM

Yes, please do. I am not currently experiencing any of the connection problems, or lag that you are experiencing, but, we shall see if all my applications work as they are supposed to. That was the only way that I saw via the add/remove programs option under the control panel.

#29 Why Two Kay

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:16 PM

It is kinda funny, the Beta had none of these issues, I downloaded and installed the final copy and I got too much error crap so I deleted it and will wait for the next one to come out. 7-9 days more like 4 weeks knowing MicroShit. They put off everything, but it never works any better :P

#30 Jack

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:07 AM

So far so much better. No more in-game lag in the main 2 servers. I still have it when I am on the 3rd one so I'm assuming (and we all know that assumption is the mother of all fookups) its server-side. All my other apps work fine. Most importantly, I can again enjoy P O R K with no probs. Man I love P O R K.

#31 bbb

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:21 AM

who would want to talk about sp2, when we COULD be talking about how great Alf is/was? B)

#32 Why Two Kay

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:34 AM

who would want to talk about sp2, when we COULD be talking about how great Alf is/was? B)

eh, he was OK.

There is a strange message on the Windows Update site that says the only was to download it is to have the Automatic Updates on. You cant download it manually, you cant get it on CD (yet B) ) Basically, im gonna wait til you can order it on CD, then I will order the CD (its FREE) then when it gets here, I will throw it away and download the newer copy of SP2 then the one they put on the CD. This will take about 3-4 weeks, and thats the normal timing that I use when I download Service Packs.

#33 Enforcer

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:50 PM

Bubbles any negative impact from removing the SP2 via the delete programs option under the control panel?

#34 Jack

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:28 PM

If by negative you mean that everything is as smooth as a fresh shapu then hell yes. No lag, no con. probs., no MS spyware (WM Player 9), and etc..

No probs running any of the apps.. I do miss some of what SP2 does, like the quasi-spam filter in Outlook and the pop-up killer in IE.

That is all for now.

#35 DeadlyDon

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:01 AM

I read today that SP2 will be ready for Auto Update downloads starting sometime tomorrow. I don't know if this means that they fixed stuff or not. I'll download it and let everyone know if I have any problems.

http://www.theinquir.../?article=18050

#36 Why Two Kay

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:59 PM

The SP2 update includes those running Windows XP Professional Edition Gold

Windows XP Profession Edition Gold? How many versions are there out there! :D I think Microsoft might start charging for the CD with SP2 on it. Now I need a new plan to get it, sigh, well thats Microshit for yah.

#37 Jack

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:00 PM

SP2 is now on the update site. Cover me. I'm going in.

#38 kaiserD

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:14 PM

Go with god! :lol: j/k, good luck though. sounds like you'll need it. keep us posted.

#39 bbb

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:31 PM

At least i'm not stuck using exploder anymore. netscape released a new version, and i installed it, and my program magicly was working again! :)

#40 Jack

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:40 PM

I have 2 words for Bill MegaSatan.

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK and YOU.

Same lag probs as with prior SP2 install. I'll live with it for now see if I can figure out what is causing this crapitation in the first degree.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com