Photo

Steam/DoD:S won't initialize

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Lin

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:49 AM

Comet was going to start up his game tonight, and neither Steam nor DoD would initialize. He double clicked, nothing happened. He tried a roll back, then he tried to reinstall Steam, and now he is into a loop where he is told to restart his computer to continue to install Steam. He has uninstalled Steam and DoDs and now cannot reinstall Steam at all due to the "restart to continue" loop.

Please help...rotten timing with our rollout tomorrow!

#2 Darkwing_X

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:14 AM

He may have to uninstall both steam and DoD:S restart then go to the steam website http://www.steampowe...rea=getsteamnow dl from there log in and get dl DoD:S via steam or use the disc to install it again, then restart again, update and it should be fine..if the problem is more complicated I really dunno.

#3 DerRaucher

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:15 AM

Uninstall all games which works with stream, uninstall stream, remove the rest with the hand (folders, files and registry-stuff that include any informations of stream or the games. Restart the pc, download/install stream,restart pc, activate your account on the stream, get the latest updates for stream, restart pc and download/install DoD.

#4 Jack

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:40 AM

I had the same issue a couple of times. To fix it, restart the comp and make sure Steam is not running (you may want to do the CTRL + ALT + DEL thing and and check under the "Processes" tab to make sure it is not running). If it is running, end it. Go to the Steam folder and copy these 3 files:

ClientRegistry.blob
Steam.dll
SteamUI.dll

Once you copy and save them somewhere, like a new folder on the desktop, go back to the Steam folder and erase them. Now, restart Steam. If you have the same issues I did, then this will fix them. The 3 files will be recreated by Steam and they will be put back in their proper location.

#5 Animal Mother

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:47 AM

I don't have quite the same problem as Comet,but frustrating just the same.
When I try to connect to the Moon server(in favorites tab),it takes me to the
Steam page to purchase DOD...ggggrrrrr.
If I look in the server list under internet tab,Moon IS NOT THERE :wtf:

I tried trashed everything and started over,thinking having DOD installed first
then getting Steam account was backasswards. Still no luck.
I can click on any game in list thats not pw'd and connect. Moon just doesn't
show up.I put list aphabetically and its just not there.I know its going to be
something very stupid on my part.WTBass has even spent time trying to help
me with this dilemma.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Greg

#6 Lin

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

Someone told me you can make a Moon shortcut on your desktop. You'll just connect direct into the server.

#7 Animal Mother

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:10 PM

The thing is,when I right click servers on the Steam icon in my tray,
it brings up server box,cool.Then I open favorites tab,there's Moon,
cool again.When I connect ot takes me to the Steam page to purchase DOD..NOT COOL <_<

#8 NightHawk

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

Same happened to me :( ill have to try to do what yall say hope it works lol

#9 Comet

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

Jack that didn't work, thanks to you and the others for posting, I appreciate the help. I was up to 4am trying to resolve this knowing tonight we're going to debut DoD:S to the community...something I've been working on.

When I get home from work I will try to wipe everything clean and start from scratch as per DerRaucher's comments. Deleting Steam is not a problem, how ever I'm not sure how to delete DoD:S. At the moment I have a Steam icon on desktop, when I click on it it takes me through the install screens. When the screen that shows the files being installed comes up I get another screen that comes up at the exact same time saying I need to restart my computer...I go into a loop from that point on.

I will try to rid my computer of all Steam/Valve related files and folders, so far that hasn't worked either...perhaps something is lingering. What key words do you suggest for my find, I've done: steam, valve, day of defeat...

Thanks, and thank you Lin for posting!

#10 Langley

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:17 PM

This is not good. We need to fix this pronto. Like DerRaucher said the best bet is to manually remove steam. Delete the \Program Files\Steam folder, delete any desktop shortcuts, start menu entries. Remove the following entries from the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, delete the Steam value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Valve
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, remove the Steam key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve

Restart

Download steam and install, download DoD:S.

#11 Comet

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

Thanks Obi, I will give that a try.

#12 Bacon

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

95% of the errors you find on steam can be fixed by turning steam off then on again. That is one thing you will learn very quickly. Yes there are a few odd ones that can not be fixed that way, but if you run into any trouble try that a few times. Not all the problems can be solved this way though.

#13 Lin

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

How do you turn Steam off?

#14 Noir

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

wait comet, talk to ryan, I had that problem and he helped me fix it, my cs icon on desktop doesnt work but my dod does and my steam does so thats how i play cs, theres like a broken link in the steam folder that messes it up

#15 Bacon

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

How do you turn Steam off?

Right click the icon in the bottom right of your screen ,next to your clock, and then click exit. After that start steam again. It takes a minute or two for steam to close, and it will not open it again until it is completely closed. This should fix the error which when you click on the game then it takes you to the steam page of the game and not the actual game and various other errors, like when it says you do not own your copy of steam. Also remember in order to play on the games steam needs to connect to the online server, and sometimes there is an error between you and them.

#16 Catfish

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

Sounds like Noir gave you a good lead there. I also found this if it helps:

http://developer.val...nstalling_Steam

#17 Comet

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll get right back on it after work, a few more hours to go.

#18 Limpnoodle

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:24 AM

On several occasions I have had Steam give me issues starting up and I think you might have jumped the gun on the whole uninstall thing, but too late now.

What do I do? Go into the Task Manager (the ctrl+alt+delete one), then find all the Steam.exe's (I think that is the name, im at work and can't test it) and stop them. I got impatient once and there were 6 steam.exe's trying to open. I closed them all and clicked the icon and it worked.

#19 DerRaucher

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

omg, it called steam and not stream like in my post, sry. Comet Problem sounds like a error in the installation-routine in one of the registry-part as a broken link or as do have multiple steam.exe .

#20 Tim

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hey Comet, did it bring you to the buy menu of DoD:S when you clicked on it asking you to buy DoD:S or just nothing happen? I've had this happen a few times in the past 2 days where I it even says on my games menu that it's preloaded but not 100% ready meaning that I "haven't paid for it" so I have to close down steam completely and restart it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com