Photo

Monitor Woes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Enforcer

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:06 AM

Whenever I stick my reminder magnet to the side of my monitor, it gets all fuzzy on that side of the screen...any suggestions..?

#2 Lin

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:21 AM

Basic math, my friend...

Magnets + any part of a computer = computer death.

#3 Boondock Saint

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:27 AM

Whenever I stick my reminder magnet to the side of my monitor, it gets all fuzzy on that side of the screen...any suggestions..?

Dont stick your reminder magnet to the side of your monitor......glad I could help....please feel free to send me any high tech questions like this and I will help you...... :blink:

#4 Enforcer

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:47 AM

Maybe one more..whenever I push that green button on the front of that boxy thing with the wires...my computer just turns off like real quick. There is no closing down of anything..just boom, a black screen, with:

Powersaver mode: ON

written in a rainbow color on the monitor...when the magnet is not on the side, mind you.

#5 Akooma

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:52 AM

Keep speakers and magnets away from any CRT (Including your television).

As for going into Hibernate mode you may want to check your CMOS to determine how the computer reacts when the power button is depressed.

There may be an option that determines whether the PC goes into hibernate mode or just powers down. If not some power switches are time based. Meaning a tap will make it go into hibernate mode whilst depressing it for a few seconds will make it power off completely.

Ak

#6 Boondock Saint

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:02 AM

:withstup: ....yeah....what he said.... :shoot:

#7 Enforcer

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:31 AM

ummm....I was kidding... :lol:

Just putting a post here so it is not blank. Just looked so empty.

#8 Boondock Saint

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:36 AM

:rofl: .....I knew you were kidding.....but Im not sure Akooma was......ahahahahha

#9 Comet

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:36 PM

I have the same problem Steve, magnets and microwaves play havoc on the steel plate in my head....kitchen parties are a bitch!

Joke or not, you wouldn't believe how many service calls we get on degaussing customers tv's.

Question, to help perhaps reduce lag what do you recommend your video settings
should be set at, (sound as well?) is thier an optimal setting?

Moon ya later...

Dan

#10 Enforcer

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:53 PM

Comet,

My uncomputer self would think that use the settings that produce the least amount of lag. I run a 2.6 ghz machine with 768mb RAM on board with the ATI 9800 128mb video card, with Direct 9x. I run both the video settings and the sound settings at high with no real lag save when someone is in VNC and then it is the server lag, and not necessarily my computer lag. That is just to give you an idea of what I run. I also have a cable modem that was running at 3.8 mb/sec. MAME Gamer seemed to think that was awesome.. I really have no idea, as long as I can play.

Me thinks, everyone holllers out LAG but, no one thinks about what type of lag it is..server lag, or computer lag. The help desk opinion is to set everything at low and see what results you get. Then one by one, up the ante, keeping tabs on what you get. The ping rates are, from what Lin says, excellent. The high pingers and now kicked again and so there should not be much server lag. However, one's machine can only handle so much input..too many players, too high a graphics setting etc.

Copy and paste link to see where you are: http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

The magnet question is a real life question my wife told me about while working the help desk. My other favorite is...the printer isn't working. Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Oh, sorry for the call...

#11 Comet

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the input Steve.

Moon ya later!

Dan

#12 DeadlyDon

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:23 PM

Favorite call a friend got when we were working at MicroProse:

Moron: I can't play your new game 'F-15 : Strike Eagle'

Support: Why not? What is the problem sir?

Moron: My keyboard only goes up to F12.

Support: <puts moron on hold> Laughs hesterically.

#13 Enforcer

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:32 PM

ROFLMAO...that is funny, DD...the sad thing is...I can easily see that very question. Officer, the speed limit is 45 mph, I was only doing 50. Um....yeah..press firmly please, going through five...

#14 dante

Posted 24 February 2004 - 12:19 AM

Here is one for Enforcer:

enforcer: My coffee holder keeps knocking my coffee off

suppot: what coffee holder

Enforcer: the one that came installed on the computer

Support: you mean your CD Rom

Enforcer: Nevermind, OH by the way since I have you on the phone my donut holder is loose!

Just kidding Steve - that could have been any cop calling support :D

#15 Boondock Saint

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:06 AM

Enforcer: Nevermind, OH by the way since I have you on the phone my donut holder is loose!

I've got a donut holder for ya.....holds at least 8 Krispy Kremes.....kinda like ring toss.... ;)

Hopefully Im the first on this forum to take a nice clean post and drag it into the gutter (you'll find me and Dante down there...come by....we'll play poker)

PS- He said poker...
:pokey:

#16 Enforcer

Posted 24 February 2004 - 12:09 PM

Boonie, is that a C cell or D? Muhuhhahaaa :pokey:

Speaking of poker..used to use the ten codes..no longer..they sucked anyway..

Call for a wrecker was 10-51. So, when we would go out trolling, we would go to 51 her. Or the morning after tell all our friends, yea, she was 51'd..

Bad Cop...no donut..

#17 Boondock Saint

Posted 24 February 2004 - 12:12 PM

Neither.....I borrow Lins generator from time to time....but its power dims the lights pretty bad in the house..... :P

#18 Guest_Valanthe_*

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:49 PM

:eek:

#19 dante

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:07 PM

Holy shit batman (boonman) you have just solved the problem in California! Lin must be working that generator night and day, that's why they have power shortages. :boff:

Hey Boon can ya hook up a fan, the smell down here is getting worse :lol:

#20 Guest_Valanthe_*

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:09 PM

It all makes sense now...

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com