Photo

TAKING THE FUN OUT OF THE GAME

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

#41 gregefc

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:57 PM

im not trying to rain on anyones parade or anything, but i just dont buy the whole hardware or internet issue as being the difference in skill level. any ready built computer as of basically 10 years ago should be able to run this game at 100% without issue. and internet shouldnt be a problem these days either. ping when it comes to certain things, yes, but internet quality is not something that i think has such a great deal to do with things. i can remember almost ten years ago playing this game on a terrible laptop with a USB mouse using an armrest as a mousepad. i dont count myself to be a "top pilot" or even a "top player" but what i can say is i regularly felt as if i stood a chance against even the best when it came to match or pub play in those categories... lots of this had to do with knowing the ins and outs of the game. basically what im saying is you either "get" the game and keep progressing skill wise, or you dont. but hey, i havent loaded into this game in almost 2 years so what do i know?

• Angerfist likes this

#42 Moving Target

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

I can see both sides of the fence.  I'll admit, I've basecamped before, but never staying there the entire game or most of the game.

Pro basecamping:  Real life, bases aren't off limits.  Some games on say Battleaxe would be more boring when one side has all the flags and the other doesn't/can't get out of their base.  Sometimes a good strategy is to pre emptively shoot down planes/tanks before they can get off the ground or leave the base.  Market Garden can be the same with Axis not being able to cross the bridges, or Allies not being able to get a flag.

Anti: It can kill the game.  Nobody likes to be on the side that can't even get out of their base.  Everyone knows the routine.  Spawn, die, spawn, die, etc.  It can kill the server as those on the losing side either quit playing til the next map, or some of the noobs will switch to the winning side as soon as they can.

Unfortunely, what happens on Omaha would be the best thing to implement, but the hardest.  On Omaha, after tickets are even if Allied haven't captured the beach flag, Axis has to leave it.  Whats the recourse for the other maps? Allowed time limit for base camping? Death bubble?  Perhaps instead of a death bubble all defending players get a 1.5x damage ratio added to their guns, making it easier to kill the basecampers?

My thoughts would be the that base camping would be allowed only if the other side has 1 or more captureable flags.  Then I think most would be happy.

#43 wizBF42ard

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

I have played some modded maps that have the heavy tanks only useable by the home team I.E. allies can use M10, axis cant and axis can use tigers and allies cant, its not a perfect solution but it allows the defenders to have a heavy tank to fight off campers jumping into tanks at enemy main.

A few less planes spawning generally would help a bit but maybe have a few special heavy plane maps in rotation.

what would really help and make the game interesting is to get rid of the empty equipment showing up on the map, doubt it could be done though.

I still play on an Emachine that I have thought was dead several times and DSL and 32"TV with graphics card but I keep bringing it back the game runs fine on this old beater for the most part.

• dodgem likes this

#44 weezy_jefferson

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

I wonder how much of this has to do with the smaller number of players. The better pilots more easily dominate when there's a smaller population, I would think. This is especially the case with a map like Market Garden. A couple of aces on Axis, combined with all the tanks that spawn in their main, is pure death for the other side.

Perhaps making the AA guns more powerful would help? It's a small change and doesn't privilege either side.

#45 King of the Squirrels

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:40 PM

More power full or faster aa would help.  Keep the good ideas coming.

• Grassy likes this

#46 Bot

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, instead of modding in more/ more powerful AA, why don't we just forbid attacking uncaps? The best way to shoot down a plane is with another plane, not AA. Any smart pilot knows the locations of all AA guns and has probably bombed them thousands of times. Forbidding attack on main bases would allow 'friendly' air to take off freely and challenge the 'enemy' air, preventing the 'enemy' air from ground pounding / lawnmowing with impunity. Seems like the easiest fix to me...

• Angerfist likes this

#47 Waffen

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:18 AM

Those guys are ok pilots. Notice the really good ones Javo, mediocre, myself and others usually don't base rape unless it's revenge for relentless raping.

I would love to see planes modded out of Battle Axe. If possible, reduce the number of bombs.

I have spent many maps trying to only zook tanks or run over people, lots of fun.

Jubilee, are you saying you can shoot though bunkers and through the ground to hit that AA spot on Iwo?

#48 Jubilee

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

I assume you're referring to something I said on another thread? No, impossible to shoot through bunkers or the ground at the AA lol. Impossible line of sight. You can shoot at back right AA from ammo box mid if the AA gun spawns allied. This is because the Axis gun spawns with a front shield, and it's hard to hit someone in that gun unless they're facing a particular angle.

#49 gregefc

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

I assume you're referring to something I said on another thread? No, impossible to shoot through bunkers or the ground at the AA lol. Impossible line of sight. You can shoot at back right AA from ammo box mid if the AA gun spawns allied. This is because the Axis gun spawns with a front shield, and it's hard to hit someone in that gun unless they're facing a particular angle.

its stuff like this that separates the average player from the better players. Knowing the ins and outs of the game. For example on IotP if the east harbor flag is grey then the aa at point boyington (north mid flag) will not spawn.
  • Jubilee likes this

#50 gregefc

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:37 PM

double post but I cant edit. someone mentioned somewhere how taking out empty vehicles in main bases (bombing) can be helpful etc. I used to think so too until about 8 years ago when I was discussing strategy with Roger Roger for a match we had. if you have a decent enough pilot and they know what they are doing, its a lot better to wait until a tank, jeep, AA, whatever it may be is occupied and moving. why? a couple of reasons... its the loss of not only a vehicle, but a ticket. and also because this means they now have to wait that much longer for it to respawn. camping/destroying empty equipment is pretty pointless... but I guess you have to be decent enough to track whats spawned and whats not. I suppose this is a bit off topic but this game is so much more than point and shoot and if you have someone who knows the ins and outs and is just smart about the game, give credit where credit is due. be glad you have people who are good that still play that you can learn the ins and outs from. I can almost guarantee that these "good pilots" or "crazy snipers," people like jubilee, bot, anger, and others who have been around for years would be more than willing to offer advice if you come at them in the correct way. got killed and don't know how? ask them. the decent players that have stuck around this long are not going to be the kind to blow you off and not try to help. they will try to make you a better player.

all this talk makes me want to reinstall haha I sure miss playing.

• Grassy likes this

#51 Waffen

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

Greg, I find lots of people on the ground from my plane from constant use of F8 through F12 keys. There's a lot of ways to utilize said keys to enhance your game play as a pilot. I also use that strategy in a tank while sitting just over a hill while still viewing ahead. I have also used F keys in the Battle Ship on Iwo to see exactly where my shells are hitting. I can almost tell you to the second when a plane is going to spawn if my game is on that day (being tired makes me really sloppy.) I always aim for the neck/head area as infantry for a 1 shot kill.

#52 Grinch

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

im not trying to rain on anyones parade or anything, but i just dont buy the whole hardware or internet issue as being the difference in skill level. any ready built computer as of basically 10 years ago should be able to run this game at 100% without issue. and internet shouldnt be a problem these days either. ping when it comes to certain things, yes, but internet quality is not something that i think has such a great deal to do with things. i can remember almost ten years ago playing this game on a terrible laptop with a USB mouse using an armrest as a mousepad. i dont count myself to be a "top pilot" or even a "top player" but what i can say is i regularly felt as if i stood a chance against even the best when it came to match or pub play in those categories... lots of this had to do with knowing the ins and outs of the game. basically what im saying is you either "get" the game and keep progressing skill wise, or you dont. but hey, i havent loaded into this game in almost 2 years so what do i know?

I definitely get the "feeling" that some players are on better hubs, and some also know how to use internet protocols to give them an advantage that most of us do not have.

Like with anything, people do tweaks and have knowledge beyond the norm, to get any small advantage.

Sometimes , I have to work 3-5 times harder to kill a person than everyone else, despite the fact they are not moving any differently, just cannot get the shots to register, at all.

#53 Grinch

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

Wow, I didn't think this would spark up so much input.   So far it is good banter.

I want to make this clear again, I am NOT calling anyone out.  

To answer a few points, - after ten years of playing, I still suck at this game.    I accept being a mediocre player - but I am here for the fun not to aspire to be a video game expert.

To Angelito and /-/-/-/-/  all respects are given and in no way am I trying to disparage either of you.

My original rant was how merciless their expert flying is - nothing more.  

Base camping - I find that a challenge when my base is being over run to fight it out and get a flag.   I also kinda like whacking  Sgt Punky  when he is base raping.   

Keep the base camping is my view.  Perhaps not a popular one but just the same..........

With that said - ladies and gentlemen - have fun !!!!

I agree, it is interesting that they always choose the Axis side on Market, because it is easier, and never the harder side which actually NEEDS the pilots to defend against the hordes of planes and tanks incoming.

I can guarantee that 95% of the time the elite pilots all find themselves on the same team, especially on that map, because flat out, they don't like getting shot down more than killing each other.

The odd time I see a few good other pilots trying, but the 3 elites on market take them out soon enough, cause they had way more airspeed the entire time............

Just saying, it IS mystifying why those guys do not want to battle more often, and even switch JUST to get the other guy, I would imagine they are all pals and are on headsets to each other.  :music-smiley-002:

#54 Renlist

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:37 PM

im not trying to rain on anyones parade or anything, 

DICE took some fun outta the game when 4 machine gunners on the ground were no longer able to shoot down a plane.   A patch fixed that, but now, mg bullets from the ground practically bounce off planes. It's sweet if the plane is trailing smoke and it's downed with mg's shooting at it. That rarely happens these days.  

#55 Steve2112

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

im not trying to rain on anyones parade or anything, 

DICE took some fun outta the game when 4 machine gunners on the ground were no longer able to shoot down a plane.   A patch fixed that, but now, mg bullets from the ground practically bounce off planes. It's sweet if the plane is trailing smoke and it's downed with mg's shooting at it. That rarely happens these days.  

This made me think of is it just in the movies? NOPE. A real tactic! I found this in a quick search:

"It has been proved, however, that heavy losses both of personnel and planes can be inflicted by the use of infantry weapons. Airplanes are sensitive and are partly crippled by hits on the engine, gasoline tank, ammunition, and so forth. Considerable success is attained when a pilot is put off his aim or when a plane has become a semi-casualty."

http://www.lonesentr...articles/defga/

#56 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

This thread was a good read. 

Honestly, it's rare to play a round of '42 without some form of basecamping these days.  I hate every minute of it.  I hate being on the distributing end as much as the receiving end of it.  Killing an opposing player when they don't even have a chance to fight back gets you an extra kill for the stat sheet, but it doesn't make you a good player.  In my opinion, good players should welcome a challenge from an opponent, whether that be through knife, tank, plane, or gun.  Every single player can look back and find a time when they were terrible at this game.  Every single one of them have had their days when they were slaughtered by better players.  That's how the good players got to the skill level they're at now.  Through failure, improvement, practice, and time.

There have always been players who look to pad their stats through the easiest kills possible, and I mean through grenades, spawn camping, tank camping, runway strafing, or even pixeling spawn points with artillery. Sure, the players responsible typically end up with some of the best stats in the round, but who cares.  They took the easiest road possible to make it there.  That doesn't earn them any extra respect in my book.  If you're a player watching these players do this and are thinking about copying their methods, don't.  

If you're a player who frequently does poorly stat-wise during a round, look around.  There are still good players roaming around it this game that aren't only looking for the cheap kills.  Fight them at their own game.  Will you lose against them?  Very frequently, but in trying to beat them you'll find that your own skills improve much faster.  Getting into gunfights in open terrain will get you better at infantry.  Getting into dogfights with good pilots that aren't runway strafing will get you better at flying. Watch how they play and learn from it.  

Now, if you're a player who's been around a long time, and have a good amount of skill in this game, just remember that this is a game.  Everyone is trying to have fun in this game, and it's OK to lose once in a while.  If that means letting players win once in a while, so be it.  Try to teach them a thing or two.  Obviously this doesn't necessarily apply when critical flags are on the line, but I hope that you get my point.  I've seen a good number of highly-skilled infantry obliterate lesser skilled players.  Do you know what that causes?  Obliterating the weaker players causes them to just target the stronger players with grenades, which I'm sure everyone knows is a big problem on the server.  Pilots obliterating lesser-skilled pilots only cause those opposing pilots to runway strafe since they know they don't stand a chance in a dogfight.  

A wise player once told me that a pilot who strafes runways is a pilot who is afraid of competition in the air.

Just my $0.02.

P.S. - It's a game, have fun.  You don't always have to go for score.  Try to run people over with jeeps.  Try to get as many knife kills as possible.  Use nothing but z00ks.  As long as you're having fun, and not preventing others from having fun, it doesn't matter what you do or how you play.

dito 

And also i must confess make me feel kinda shame of some stuff i did.  Thank you for this words indeed. 

#57 gregefc

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

I definitely get the "feeling" that some players are on better hubs, and some also know how to use internet protocols to give them an advantage that most of us do not have.

Like with anything, people do tweaks and have knowledge beyond the norm, to get any small advantage.

Sometimes , I have to work 3-5 times harder to kill a person than everyone else, despite the fact they are not moving any differently, just cannot get the shots to register, at all.
You're not gonna convince me that something like that is going to cause a huge difference. I understand that some people have a better connection, better route to the server, but in all honesty that is all so very negligible unless its between two people of nearly the exact same skill level. Yes there are certain things you can do to create advantages for yourself (lock your FPS among many other things), but these actions are so minimal and create only the slightest of slight advantages. Regs are another thing, but if one person is getting bad regs, then its pretty likely everyone on the server is as well.

#58 Angerfist

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:36 AM

Somebody needs to reinstall and show 'em how it's done :wasnt-me:

• Grassy likes this

#59 Steve2112

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:14 AM

You're not gonna convince me that something like that is going to cause a huge difference. I understand that some people have a better connection, better route to the server, but in all honesty that is all so very negligible unless its between two people of nearly the exact same skill level. Yes there are certain things you can do to create advantages for yourself (lock your FPS among many other things), but these actions are so minimal and create only the slightest of slight advantages. Regs are another thing, but if one person is getting bad regs, then its pretty likely everyone on the server is as well.

Hi Greg...like anger said...you should rejoin us!

In regards to your comment...I don't know what else to tell you besides what I see on my screen. Say I am "hiding" in a bunker (I realize I may not be "hiding" as much as I'd like to think!), I might make small movements because as I understand it this helps refresh the screen. I might be behind the med cabinet, and enemy player runs in and blast me dead before I can even press my trigger. 

I also understand this player might very well know there's someone in there, and where the good hiding spot is. But he (or she) runs in, spots me, raises weapon, aims, shoots me dead...before I can even pull the trigger aimed directly at him? 

I am sorry if I am wrong, but I don't buy the "he (she) is just a better player than you", not totally and not in every circumstance. There's some sort of speed, lag, latency...SOMEWHERE in the system. I try to do things like restart computers, modems, etc...I clean and scrub my PC often. But sometimes there's nothing to do. I don;t expect all players to understand this...if they haven't experienced it themselves.  Maybe their system and their ISP and their location doesn't experience the same sort of things I see....like a stressed out urban ISP line? Maybe? 

I do notice that some players are easier for me to spot and kill. From what I see, it's not ALWAYS because they went to get a spicy chikn sammich. It's my opinion I just see things faster than they do and can react to the gameplay faster. Even if it's split second it can make a HUGE difference. 

I do agree with the premise that an older game should run fine....except we have bigger and more modern gadgets...and MORE of them. I might have a bigger better modem but I've also got 3-4 devices hooked up to them too...didn't have that in 2004. There's also the thing the newer tech doesn't like older tech/software. I run my BF in compatibility mode, I forget what version...because my game crashes in Win7....does that slow down my load and refresh? I dunno. 

All I can say is what I see on my screen. A good sneaky Jubesnipe™©®  is not really what I am talking about here. 

#60 gregefc

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

Steve, in the same way that you talk about certain players being easier for you to kill and you being able to react quicker than they do, you are probably easy to kill for others as well and aren't able to react as quickly as some. I know for a fact if I'm a medic and I'm storming into a bunker it takes literally about 3 seconds for me to clear it all out. If its a bunker like on Omaha hilltops, I can check both the left and right rooms upon entry and the main rooms in a matter of a few seconds. And it only takes me half a second to point,shoot,and kill someone in there. If your game lags badly like you are talking about, its probably an isolated issue that is on your/your isps end/your route to the server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com