Photo

Decay: yes or no?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lin

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

We have been starting to talk about putting decay on the server. This means you would either need to "feed the meter" as Thirteen put it (give required assessments of gold to your plot pole[s]) or feed the structures (required building materials for maintenance).

It has been under discussion because there have been a number of players who have started to build, then left. Luiz, Esko, Martin, Krystof, these are just a few. Bases have been abandoned for weeks, and we do not always know where they are. With decay on we would not need to make the decision of whether to blast a base or not, are they a Moonie, are they gone permanently or just on break and how do we know which when they just disappear? Spleen is having issues getting back into game, so Twi. Others tried the game and may just have not like it. In any case...decay would take the decision out of admin hands on when to blast a base, and put that decision back into the hands of the players. If they are not here to maintain, their stuff would eventually just go away.

However...I have heard strong opposition from some of the player base. Maintenance will be expensive and/or time consuming. I am a player too, and I know what this would be like.

Speak up here please and let us know which you prefer and why.

#2 Irish_Trunks

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

I would understand it being put in for the sake of more "realism" and work to maintain such large bases (myself included). However, my busy schedule has been really hectic and what little free time I have I've rather enjoyed in picking back up Star Trek Online or catching up on some reading. So I can also admit being annoyed (though not at anyone personally)should my base suddenly be gone if I'm unable to maintain it. Although it's not like I couldn't just log in and do the maintenance real quick...that is, if it's that simple an action. I have no idea what it would take to fully maintain my base.

So I guess it just depends on how often the action would need to be done and how long each action would take.

#3 Edamame

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

I'm against decay as a player for two main reasons.

First being it would make the game feel more like work. I do like realism, but at some point there is a line. I already have bills in real life. Don't really enjoy them there. Now I do realize not putting this in would have the same effect for the admins. It really comes down to who do we feel it would be more detrimental.

Second, I don't have a normal work schedule. So there are times; that I have a lot of free time and chunks of time that I can't log in. It just depends on the project and it's very difficult to know when and how long these will last in advance.

#4 Archemedies

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

My vote is yes for some kind of plot pole system.

Why?

Guys, for whatever issues the plot pole may have or had, the admins & Owners have a really hard task at hand trying to deal with their player base.
For most of you its not hard but many pub'rs come into the server & leave a mess behind all of which is cleaned by the admins & owners.
This isn't just their problem but also an issue for all players.

What if you would like to build somewhere but couldn't because someone that doesn't play on the server any longer left a huge base behind?
You see how in many ways not having some way to deal with this impartially can be an issue for all?!!

Yes there are pro's & cons but this is the place guys to share.

Keep in mind that the admins & owners alike are fair, I'm sure they would assist anyone that was on leave for an extended period with good reason.

The concept Lin is suggesting is to help the server for all, please consider it & make your suggestions!!

Game on

#5 Randigar

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

I have mixed feelings on this one as I have 3 massive bases that would require tons of cash do I really want to spend 30 bc a week maybe, If we set the price to silver instead of gold and put up banners for a couple weeks before it goes into effect, just so everyone knows about the maintenance. The idea is to clear the map of discarded bases not put hardships on players that are here for the fun of it. Also all the fuel stations would be afffected as well.

The admins that do play do see who is in the server and know when vehicles move and do not move I think we could deal with a problem as trivial as clutter :)

#6 Lin

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

I did not start this topic as a suggestion either way. I started this thread to find out how players feel about the topic...and this topic is about decay; plot poles have varying purposes and are not just to control decay. While I at first thought decay might solve some issues, I have been talking with other players and Enforcer, and I have been seeing more benefits to not adding decay. Primarily the reasons are:

1. The good of the many vs the good of the few, or the one.
The admins who would be clearing stuff off are few. As Randigar said, we pretty much know which vehicles are being moved and we can tell who has and has not been in. It would impact less people overall if admins were to perform the removals.

2. Easier location of "former" bases.
If decay is turned on, we may be able to find where bases used to be but there would still be vehicles and articles left behind that would not decay. This is part of the issue that decay would not address. With decay off, the bases will remain until removed and admins would be able to remove everything...not just the base.

3. Ability to choose how long to leave a base before removal, and ability to advertise potential removals.

4. Ability to choose to allow some bases to remain longer before removal.

5. Work involved to prevent decay.
As Edamame put it...this is a game, so why make it feel like work? If you have a plot pole, feeding the meter would take some time; if you do not have a plot pole you would have to go around everywhere you have built and place a plot pole. If you do not, you have to physically maintain all of the buildings and structures by "feeding" them the appropriate materials. Yuck!

So, after talking with players and processing all of the information at hand, I would have to vote No to decay on the MoonGamers Chernarus server.

#7 Thirteen

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

I would vote No based on the above. I posted in another thread an idea for how to handle abandoned stuff. I will let you find that one instead of repeating my thoughts. Unfortuneatly for us admins, it means we have to do more admin (but not much more) and less play. Honestly I seem to rather drop what I am doing to help someone with something than ignore them and play on my own. It's a community and it's more fun when you are doing something together IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com