Photo

The Case For Primary Expacks

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 scottisblack

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

haha, not much support for expacks as primary but the dante's inferno's reference was hilarious.  

I think you guys are the vocal minority though and I'm stickin to that :P

#22 no guts no glory

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:43 PM

i havent see a good expacker in a long time.always fun wrenching expacs out of the air when they are thrown at you.

• Angerfist likes this

#23 Renlist

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

So rewarding killing Engineers while they are trying to set charges at you. Very satisfying.  

BTW, a lot of people still say that the Engineers rifle is too damn deadly.   Totally unfair in their minds.  

I have to agree with that somewhat.

#24 Jubilee

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:21 PM

The general origin community (and unfortunately a growing crowd of old-school players) seem too reliant on grenades and expacks. IMO this rule wouldn't have to exist if people weren't so afraid to shoot. It's quicker to shoot someone with a rifle and pistol than it is to throw a grenade or detonate an expack. One rifle bullet is absolutely deadly. Engy is a very powerful class, but people treat it like it's a handicap and immediately switch to their explosives. 

On another note, I still don't understand why people repeatedly spawn, immediately throw all three grenades, and THEN shoot. How does anyone expect to get better at shooting if they'll only take out their gun when their target is already injured by a blast? 

• Lin, Joker (Aut), Angerfist and 1 other like this

#25 Renlist

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:13 AM

I'm half decent at shooting and still lob 3 nades at a time in some instances...lol. Sorry.

• Jubilee likes this

#26 scottisblack

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

The general origin community (and unfortunately a growing crowd of old-school players) seem too reliant on grenades and expacks. IMO this rule wouldn't have to exist if people weren't so afraid to shoot. It's quicker to shoot someone with a rifle and pistol than it is to throw a grenade or detonate an expack. One rifle bullet is absolutely deadly. Engy is a very powerful class, but people treat it like it's a handicap and immediately switch to their explosives. 

On another note, I still don't understand why people repeatedly spawn, immediately throw all three grenades, and THEN shoot. How does anyone expect to get better at shooting if they'll only take out their gun when their target is already injured by a blast? 

Good points.

Still no one has addressed the point that expacks are being singled out.  I would estimate I die from nades at a rate of 10:1 compared to expacks. 

Any rules restricting gameplay should have a solid and consistent logic for being implemented.   The expack rule doesn't pass this test.

I'd urge people not to support a rule just because 'it doesn't apply to them' or they 'dislike expacking'.  It shows character not to support something in spite of those things.

I am a medic the large majority of the time, so complying with the rule isn't particularly hard (admittedly I don't always because I am still not even sure what it means).  I do enjoy freely using the full arsenal of the engineer when I can.

#27 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

the day medics end the bunny jumping ridiculous jogging, maybe xpackers stop using it as primary weapon

and I dont think is a character issue to complaint about use of expacks as prim weapon, i´ve seen posts like this since years ago,  is an ogoing issue and one of the hardest to solve.

is like a short blanket,  if you cover your head, you have cold at your feets and vice versa

is not possible to make all happy all of the time.

ps: to judge this as lame or not is a freedom each one has.

cheers

#28 Angerfist

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

i would be happy knowing there is a special place in hell for the hopping expackers. and yeah,its sour grapes because i cant do it.

:rofl2:

Well...good point there. Guess we'll both have to practice more so WE can have a special place in hell too!

However...I do subscribe to just because you can...doesn't mean you should. Would I sit there like the guy last night racking up 157 kills by camping an uncap spawn point with tank? I don't THINK it's against the rules....but....not all that cool either. :shrug:

i would be happy knowing there is a special place in hell for the hopping expackers. and yeah,its sour grapes because i cant do it.

:rofl2:

I love you

Sounds like you're not in favor of changing self damage for expackers? 

I'm in favor of bringing self damage back to like it was before Origin. If the "primary weapon" and "nade / expack spam" rule would be deleted, I'd probably stop gaming here.

#29 mistamontiel

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

always fun wrenching expacs out of the air when they are thrown at you.

HECK yeh l0l

Man , it's possible to hop/crouch/wrench ? I ought to try that scooping expacks in-air

Absolutely pathetic+ridiculous like once when I wrenched some fool's all four expacks . And then he just stood there thankin to self "wtf may I do now" LOLLL that 'encounter' will remain buried in me memory

#30 Angerfist

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

i havent see a good expacker in a long time.always fun wrenching expacs out of the air when they are thrown at you.

I love how the lil spammers start to run around in panic, not knowing what to do when their cute 4 expacks got removed. Fun to knife them after that.

• mistamontiel likes this

#31 Angerfist

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Preach it, Mama ! 

#32 Steve2112

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

Good points.

Still no one has addressed the point that expacks are being singled out.  I would estimate I die from nades at a rate of 10:1 compared to expacks. 

Any rules restricting gameplay should have a solid and consistent logic for being implemented.   The expack rule doesn't pass this test.

I'd urge people not to support a rule just because 'it doesn't apply to them' or they 'dislike expacking'.  It shows character not to support something in spite of those things.

I am a medic the large majority of the time, so complying with the rule isn't particularly hard (admittedly I don't always because I am still not even sure what it means).  I do enjoy freely using the full arsenal of the engineer when I can.

You are confused by "primary weapon" rule? Your rifle, your sidearm, and especially your knife art "primary weapons". These are what you would PRIMARILY use in your battles ESPECIALLY with an enemy you might come upon. Nades mines and expacks are like specialty weapons.

The difference- and the MAIN point...is that nades used carelessly will cause SELF DAMAGE and DEATH. Expacks thrown willy nilly used without regard to your own health and consequences. It's an IMPORTANT distinction. You have to decide to use the nade cautiously as designed...or suffer the consequences...death and -2 points. Expackers can put the pack in your pocket, explode it right away...and walk scott free.

How? It is a weapon designed to blow up a tank, bridges and buildings. It's more powerful than a nade...yet doesn't scratch the expacker? Stupid.

#33 Steve2112

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:52 PM

I thought I already replied to this but here goes again...

The reason one might "repeatedly spawn and throw nades" is because of enemy camping at a spawn point killing for points...often at uncaps. You don;t have time to draw the primary, sahoot all the campers so you try to clear the spawn point for yourself and your team. Nothing wrong with trying to clear your spawn point...especially of campers.

I've watched your vids and I don't know how you do it. You casually walk around with your rifle. When I walk around Market Garden, or any map.... like that I get BLASTED fast. Maybe you are more careful with your time slot and maps?

#34 gregefc

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

The reason one might "repeatedly spawn and throw nades" is because of enemy camping at a spawn point killing for points...often at uncaps. You don;t have time to draw the primary, sahoot all the campers so you try to clear the spawn point for yourself and your team. Nothing wrong with trying to clear your spawn point...especially of campers.

I've watched your vids and I don't know how you do it. You casually walk around with your rifle. When I walk around Market Garden, or any map.... like that I get BLASTED fast. Maybe you are more careful with your time slot and maps?
or maybe she's just played longer than how old some of the players on the server are. This game is situational awareness. Head on a swivel type shit.

#35 Steve2112

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

or maybe she's just played longer than how old some of the players on the server are. This game is situational awareness. Head on a swivel type shit.

I concur...that's why I asked about it. Nothing nefarious, if that's what you're insinuating. She's a very aware calculating player. Lot's to learn there. A couple of the maps did seem rather...unpopulated. Those are good times to practiced if I can find them. 

I wish I could use the scope like she does. Heck I can;t even kill anyone blasting them in the face point blank.  :shoot:

#36 scottisblack

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

You are confused by "primary weapon" rule? Your rifle, your sidearm, and especially your knife art "primary weapons". These are what you would PRIMARILY use in your battles ESPECIALLY with an enemy you might come upon. Nades mines and expacks are like specialty weapons.

The part that confuses me (and everyone else) is that it is inconsistently enforced and there is no consensus for what is a breach of the rule or not.  I understand the concept of primary and secondary thankyou very much.

My question is not to you, it's to people in charge and its an open question that I don't expect to get answered by speculating members .

#37 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

The part that confuses me (and everyone else) is that it is inconsistently enforced and there is no consensus for what is a breach of the rule or not.  I understand the concept of primary and secondary thankyou very much.

My question is not to you, it's to people in charge and its an open question that I don't expect to get answered by speculating members .

Always be carefull on what you ask for.

#38 Steve2112

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

Okay....fair enough.

I am going to answer again though,,. I've seen admin/moderators answer the question frequently...you've probably seen the answers but they might be unacceptable to you?

With different and even no admin, and different moods and their favorite and less favorite players....there certainly is some inconsistency...naturally. It's my philosophy to do my best to play by the rules, from auto-managed to "strongly suggested". I've not always done a good job with that. :unsure:.  I truly believe that using an expack on an infantry is against the "primary weapon" rule, and that it should be enforced every bit as tenaciously as a hack or cheat accusation.

So the question is how to enforce it right? I suppose some kind of code could be written into the game? Do we spawn and rat fink on the expacker...and expect to see the kick? And if there are no admin...or the admin is ambivalent? I handle it like everything in the game beyond my control...or I should say how I have recently LEARNED to handle everything. Don't worry too much about it...if anything respawn and go git the bastid! :shoot:

#39 mexican eskimo

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

xpacks can be used on players, don't got a problem with that.  The problem is that damage is not set correctly.  Players shouldn't be able to drop xpacks at their feet and survive.  

• ØLÐ CRØW, Grinch and scottisblack like this

#40 jaystar

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:41 AM

last time I checked when playing while not sober you do die from own packs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com