Photo

Windows 8 program files access denied error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt. NoScope

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Windows 8 won't let you edit, or replace (by pasting in a replacement file) data files located within folders located in the C: Program Files directory. This is where all game data files are located. Whenever I try saving any changes I get an 'Access Denied' message. . .

This is unbelievable and a huge pain to someone like me and is an enormous step backwards in the development of a functional OS.

I'm trying to adjust my aspect ratio for BF1942 by editing my VideoDefault.con file, and it won't let me save any changes!

I tried coping the entire BF1942 folder from my C:Program Files directory into my Backup Hard-drive, editing the required .con file(s) and replacing the original BF1942 folder with a new version, without actually editing any files while it was located in the locked C: Program Files directory.

Even this didn't work! I'm not sure why it would reject an entirely new game data folder, I don't see how it could tell the difference as I deleted the original completely prior to replacing it.

I did set the edited .con files to read only in-case anyone was wondering.

I'm totally stuck, Windows 8 has locked you out of your own files in certain C: directories to protect you from 'yourself'.

I can't find a fix on Google.

Anyone able to help? If not, simply join me in raging against Microsoft screwing with a perfectly fine system that worked with their previous OS.

#2 Sgt. NoScope

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

While I was able to replace files within the C: Program Files directory with an amended version, it still wouldn't read the changes. I set the files to read only, all data contained within the amended file was 100% correct in it's placement and formatting, and it still didn't work.

It's like it's not running of the amended files and it's reading from a ghost file :/

I haven't screwed around with viewing hidden folders at this stage, as in the past I didn't have to and I still shouldn't.

#3 Sgt. NoScope

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

I've talked to someone about this and I am now able to overwrite and save the necessary files.

Problem is, the game isn't running off of the amended code, it's using the default code even though that code no longer exists in the edited files.

I've edited the same file in both the 64 and 32 bit directories (It clones some files) and set the files to read only. Everything looks perfectly fine and is saved, but it's just not reading from those files now.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to expose and open up any hidden folders as well to search for and edit any code contained in a hidden contingency file :weird:

The problem isn't the code I'm editing the original to either, I've edited these exact files in the exact same way on Windows XP and it worked perfectly every time.

So, in conclusion;

Windows 8 Programs and File management
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com