Photo

PC crashes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RangerT

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

I have a back up PC that once had xp on it, then it had windows 7 no problems. I decided to put xp back on it and now when i open any browser it crashes. Doesnt always crash right away but it does crash.

There are logs created for these crashes can someone please tell me where they are and I will post them. Until i can get a new motherboard for my gaming machine fixing it will be the only way i can play bf42.

I need to get in game and try not to die to much.

#2 Hornet

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

Ranger -

When you say "it crashes", are you referring to the internet browser, or Windows itself? I'm assuming you mean Windows, but I just want to make sure.

How did you install XP? Did you reformat the hard drive that contained Windows 7?

If it is Windows crashing (via Blue Screen Of Death) as you made it sound, it's most likely a driver issue for one of your computer's hardware devices. There is probably a driver lurking around meant for a newer version of Windows than what you are currently running. Also, make sure that you install all Windows Updates. From some searching online, it doesn't seem promising that there is a nice friendly log file to view to figure out what's causing the crash. If there is anything, you would see it by running the Event Viewer, then going to "Windows Logs", and then "System". There also should be minidump files, though. These files are essentially useless though unless you have the Windows XP source code and debug information from the exact build of Windows that you possess. Really, only Microsoft developers would be able to tell you exactly what the minidump file contains.

#3 RangerT

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

yes, windows reboots itself, i reformatted the HD when i installed windows

there is a window that pops up saying there was an error and wants to know if i want to report it

#4 BOVA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Did you update from windows xp to windows 7.
Or did you clean install both. Like did you wipe the hard drive clean before installing windows?
If you didn't it may be causing conflicts.

#5 RangerT

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

took 7 off and xp back on

#6 opus

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

XP and win7 can't co-exist on the same harddrive, unless one of them are on a virtual drive.
Therefore you must completely format the harddrive before putting XP on it, and be sure to install Windows updates right after.

In order to Install Win XP,you must first go into your System BIOS and see if there's some options for SATA such as Native SATA or AHCI. If so, disable them and then try to install XP.

The BSOD screen is the result a of sata/raid issue with XP. So disabling AHCI in your BIOS will get rid od the BSOD.

/opie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com