Photo

Need some help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:18 AM

Ok well my computer is about to find itself at the bottom of a lake. Here is the problem and what I have already done to resolve the problem.

Problem:
The computer will hard restart after only being on for 30 seconds. Some of you may remember when this happend during games, but this on happens even if I don't do any thing.

What I have tried:
My first thought was it was windows, so instead of losing all the info I have on the origional HD, I bought a new one (Western Digital SATA 3.0 16mb cache). I disconnected the old HD, installed the new one, and ran the Windows disk. It would load all the files and then reboot (scheduled). Upon reboot it would start setting up Windows. I will use the timer for reference even though my PC loaded it ALOT faster than the timer states. It starts out as a 39 minute install and at about 19 minutes left when it is loading the Start Menu items my PC restarts. Then I have to start over again, 19 minutes left a restart.

Ok, it's not the HD.... maybe the PSU? I went to the local Fry's yesterday and picked up a 700W Thermaltake PSU. I disconnected the old one (leaving it in place) and hooked up the new one (so it would be easy to return if it didn't help). Everything started out fine and then.... restart.

I tried running it removing sticks of RAM to make sure they were not bad and that didn't help.

ANY FRIGGIN IDEAS?

#2 ijakings

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:44 AM

This may be an overheating issue. Although i wouldnt completely remove the possibility of it being ram. Download memtest Memtest86 and let it run overnight and see what it comes up with. If your computer still restarts before you come back to view it then this may be a problem, But we will cross that bridge if we come to it.

Try going out and buying an old crap GFX card that wont cost much and just run windows with it and see if that helps. Dont spend too much on this as its just a test. If you have an old GFX card thats even better.

Out of intrest what graphics card do you currently have?

Post back with the results of all this and we will go from there.

#3 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

I ram Memtest within the last month, no problem. I have removed all og the ram one at a time, then two at a time, then all but one. I know it is not the RAM.

It's not heat. I can leave it off for 12 hours, boot it up and it restarts within a minute. I also disabled everything in the BIOS that causes the computer to restart when it get's too hot.

I would rather not buy a new GFX card.... I wonder if my CPU here at work is PCI-e... I doubt it.

My relevant specs:
AMD 3800+
XFX 7800 GTX
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

#4 ijakings

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

It doesnt need to be a PCI-E Board. It can be a cheap $20 PCI graphics card just to test it without your current one. There are 4 billion reasons (Ok thats a bit exessive but you know what I mean) that your PC could be rebooting. you just have to go through each thing until you hit on the right one. If a friend has a PCI-E graphics card there could be a test there too. With reboots like this with no error message there is no magic solution. You will just have to go through interchanging components until you have one that works. If you dont have a graphics card to try it and neither does a friend then your best bet is to take it to a PC repair shop. However that may be more expensive than a cheapo Graphics card but they may find the solution faster.

You can always Ebay the cheap card or use your 28day right to return it.

#5 Catfish

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

My PC started resetting occasionally after I installed my X-Fi. If you have one try taking it out... that thing is created from half black magic and half voodoo.

Or you could do what I do and hang a gris-gris bag from your PSU.

#6 pest control

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

try these:

Stress Prime

ATI Tool

Super PI

these are benchmarking apps and all for free. use stress prime for cpu and memory, ATI tool is for video card, just run a check on how high can it go comparing to temperature,

I would open the case and check if theres any short on wires in mobo, did you overclock? if yes than restore defaults and see if it happens,

is your chipset fan working? I read alot of complains about chipset fans in early asus boards, try to reinstall nvidias chipset driver and see if you can save it that way, you should have goten a cd with drivers with your motherboard

#7 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:20 AM

I can't run benchmarking tools because my PC only works for 30 seconds at a time.

I didn't overclock and all my BIOS settings have been set to default.

All fans are operational.

I will try to run the CD that came with my MoBo and change the drivers.

#8 Fitztroyer

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

Ok well my computer is about to find itself at the bottom of a lake.

I think you need to put some concrete shoes on it and take care of business.

:D

#9 Bacon

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

To me it sounds like PSU problem. Or overheating but you swear it is not overheating soooo. If you have a friends computer or something that you could test each part in that might help. Then again I am no computer expert.

#10 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:37 PM

I have a brand new 700W Thermaltake sitting in it right now and I have the side cover off with a fan pointed at it... not heat.

Me thinks it might be the MoBo... I am trouble shooting it at work with a friend and we have now pretty much ruled out everything else.

(thanks for tip in the PM buddy)

#11 Why Two Kay

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

Yes, I would say the motherboard would be the 2nd thing to check (after PSU).

#12 Santano

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image

Its a possability that its your mobo, however, I would say check connections on everything as well to make sure nothing is loose. :P
[/b]

#13 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Well after testing it all day, swapping out the RAM with some RAM from a work PC I have narrowed it down to two things:

1. MoBo
2. Poorly seated CPU

I talked to a guy up here who was about to replace his MoBo when he decided to remove his CPU and reseat it. Apparently some gunk had got on a pin and was causing it to restart. Do you think this could be it?

What supplies do I need to reseat the CPU? (thermal paste etc)

I will only have internet connection for 55 minutes... HELP!

#14 Santano

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

paste.

#15 pest control

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:34 PM

u just need thermal paste, warm it up a little so the existing paste softens, and dont pull to hard when u detach it, you might damage the cpu

theres 287.435.800 little gizmos in mobo and any of them can be. most likely its the chipset as from what i read the pre-heatpipe mobos from asus failed due to poor fan installed. its cheaper to buy a new one than to send it to tech to tell you that "ghuggenfufne" is broken and it costs more to fix it than a new mobo.
do you have a warranty on that mobo? i would try to check the asus site tech forum, open a ticket there, maybe they can help you more

EDIT:

2. Poorly seated CPU

you would notice that the first time you turned on computer,

#16 Limpnoodle

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the tips Leak, and Santano that last post was brilliantly worded :P

I returned the PSU that I bought and was looking to purchase a new MoBo from Fry's last night and their Sockt 939 selection was HORRIBLE. They had 3 to choose from and 2 of them were Mini ATX. The last one looked like it was designed by a blind man.

I am looking to purchase ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. I currently have the A8N-SLI so this one is an upgrade (DAMNIT I JUST LOOKED AT NEWEGG AND THE PRICE JUMPED $20 SINCE LAST NIGHT.... GRRRRRR). From what I read this is a good 939 board and the copper heatpipe seems to be a good way to silently cool the MoBo. HERE IS THE NEWEGG LINK. I like ASUS, does anyone know of a better 939 SLI board? I will be buying it at lunch today so you have 5.5 hours to subit your comments :P :P

EDIT** Ok I found the same board on a different site for only $4 than yesterdays Newegg price. The grat thing about this company is they are local so I can pick-up and return in their store that is 10 minues from my house.

#17 Santano

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the tips Leak, and Santano that last post was brilliantly worded :P

Hey you said what do you need, not how to do it. :banned:

#18 Limpnoodle

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:47 AM

Just messing with ya man :wub:

Hey have you ever been to the Space Center Systems store at Dixie Farm and 518 here in Pearland? They have a very small store front but their website has some good deals if you can find them WEBSITE <-- Clicky. I need to ask them if they are going to re-do their website.. it is kinda ugly at the moment.

I am going to call them here in a minute and ask if I can pick up the MoBo I want to order the same day I order it. It is $15 cheaper than Newegg and I can return without shipping charges if needed. Sure I will pay taxes but it's not much more than paying shipping with newegg.

#19 Limpnoodle

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

Well that Space Center Systems place will still need it shipped to their store... 4-5 days <_<

Hmm I need a new plan....

#20 Santano

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

Pwned? :P I've never been there myself. Use Newegg or Frys. Might want to check the frys at North Houston? Seem to have a better selection ,last time I was there but Icould be wrong

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com