Photo

Hard Restarts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 Limpnoodle

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:18 AM

Well about 4 months ago my comp was doing this then the problem went away, well now it is back and badder than ever.

I can do anything on my PC except gaming with no problems. I try to play BF2 and out of nowhere everything freezes and my PC restarts. When it happened before I thought it was heat (nothing in my case is over 37C), then thought it was my soundcard because of feedback in my headphones before the restart (it is just the last sound from BF2 streached out), then I thought it was my graphics card (but all drivers are up to date).

ASUS has a overclocking utility that allows you to select a percentage and automatically overclocks your processor, I was at 3% the last time this happened (3,5,8,10% options) and I took it back to default and it didn't fix the problem. I still have everything at default so I am willing to count this out as a potential problem.

Still sounds like heat to you? Well I thought it might be my graphics card because my Nothbridge is real close to my graphics card (it also has a seperate fan) so I just opened the side of my case and pointed that fan (on the side of my case) to my graphics card. So now I had a cool case, fresh air comming from a cool house, fans pulling heat from my graphics card, processor, and northbridge. Also had fans pulling heat out of the box from the back (120mm) and 2 fans on my PSU. I don't think it is heat......

Any ideas? It happens randomly, I can leave my PC on for 3 days and it will let me play for 2-3 hours before doing it, and other times my PC will be on for 5 minutes and it will do it. Could it be low voltage to my processor/graphics cards? Should I try adjusting that (I have never done it before)? Could it be my BIOS?

HHHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPP

SPECS:
AMD Athalon 3800+ (Fan + Heatsink)
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe (Fan on Northbridge)
XFX 7800 GTX (Fan)
2 GB of RAM (4 X 512MB)
SB Audigy sound card

#2 The Xevious

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:28 AM

I can do anything on my PC except gaming with no problems. I try to play BF2 and out of nowhere everything freezes and my PC restarts. When it happened before I thought it was heat (nothing in my case is over 37C), then thought it was my soundcard because of feedback in my headphones before the restart (it is just the last sound from BF2 streached out), then I thought it was my graphics card (but all drivers are up to date).

That means the system is crashing froms something, it's not an autorestart of any heat kind. Not that I thought it was heat.

Sounds like it might be a bad stick of RAM? BF2 does use a lot of ram and if the chip on one is sort of busted it will do it. Try (I know how painful this sounds) running BF2 at all low settings, sound on medium, and english vo only. This will use a hell of a lot less ram loading less, and you might not be hitting that one affected chip. If you can play fine now, then try some memory testing programs.

#3 Limpnoodle

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:32 AM

Memory.... never tested that before. Any program suggestions?

Now that I am used to the eye candy I don't think I could back it down.... it's like putting clothes on a nekkid woman, it just don't make any damn sence! You don't gotta be the lead checker at Wal-Mart to figure that one out.

I might back the setting to medium but the 4X AA is staying on, that makes the biggest difference.

#4 Boondock Saint

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

Keep your midget pr0n on an external harddrive. That's what I have
been d.....I mean that's what I hear....errr.....hmmmm
:blink:

#5 Santano

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

Your computers broke. Give it to me and Ill dispose of it for you.

#6 Limpnoodle

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:46 PM

AHHHH it just hard restarted while browsing the forums! First time it has done it out of game!

Jeremy if you touch my PC i will dispose of you. :ph34r:

#7 Limpnoodle

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:35 PM

Didn't use edit button because i needed to bump this.

I d/l'ed the Microsoft Memory tester and made a CD with the .iso file on it. I then made my CD-ROM my primary boot device. Turned off my PC then back on, nothing happened. I tried several times and nothing happened. I then thought "I will make the floopy one". Made the floppy and then.... WHAT? No floppy as a boot device? It is not even an option. Thats retarded.

So I decided to you MemTest86 or whatever. Same shit.......

Me = Confused.

Anyone have a memory tester that actually WORKS??

#8 Santano

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

AHHHH it just hard restarted while browsing the forums! First time it has done it out of game!

Jeremy if you touch my PC i will dispose of you. :ph34r:

Pssh, no free repairs for you :P

Do you have anouther power supply/know someone that might?

Could be the problem, although I doubt it. Might be worth a check.

#9 Jack

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

Buck says its your Audigy drivers. You need to dl the new ones. Then you need to replace the OpenAl.dll in your windows/system32 with the new one from creative http://developer.cre...=OpenALwEAX.exe .

a) Rename the OpenAL wrapper BF2OpenAL.dll
in your Battlefield2 directory to something like
BF2OpenAL.original

B) Download and install the latest Creative OpenAL32.dll
(see link above)

c) Copy OpenAL32.dll from WINDOWS\system32 to your Battlefield2 directory.
Check with properties that it really is the latest
OpenAL library from Creative.

d) Rename the copied file to BF2OpenAL.dll just
to finish clean

After these steps you have replaced the BF2OpenAL.dll (originally being a wrapper library) with the latest OpenLA library from Creative to support your Audigy 2 card the way it's meant to be.

I had the same issues until I did this.

P.S. I am assuming you know about this http://www.amdzone.c...order=0&thold=0 for your dual core cpu.

#10 Limpnoodle

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:56 PM

Jack as much as I appreciate your help, I have disconnected my sound card before and went to MoBo sound and it still happened.

Would that change be picked up by Punkbuster? I am willing to try it but I am worried that Punkbuster will ban me =\

#11 The Xevious

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:07 PM

Would that change be picked up by Punkbuster? I am willing to try it but I am worried that Punkbuster will ban me =\

Punkbuster can't do anything about non mods/ files. Don't fear punkbuster like it's the devil or something. I know it well and I know exactly what it can and can not scan. That is a audio driver which could be changed at any time anyway. No server in their right mind would scan for it, and there is no way to get a ban for it.

#12 Jack

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:16 PM

Jack as much as I appreciate your help, I have disconnected my sound card before and went to MoBo sound and it still happened.

Do it anyways noodle. The problem is with that dll file. It is a fix for any card that uses the OpenAL.dll.

Did you do the CPU hotfix?

To figure out what is causing the restart go to the Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> then uncheck "Automatically restart" (under system failure). That should give you an error code which you can then look up. That is how I figured out that it was my soundcard causing the problems on my dual-core system with the same mobo, same video card, same amount of ram, and the same sound card that you have.

Then again, who knows with this computer shit. I wish you luck. It took me weeks to figure all this shit out :withstup:

#13 Limpnoodle

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

Did the Soundblaster thing Jack, thank you (the ty is only valid until my next restart :))

I don't have a dual core so that hotfix won't help me. I have a single core 3800+ <_<

gonna restart and get in game... PLEASE let it work.

#14 Limpnoodle

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

This might not have been a good idea.... I have no sound now, I cant change my settings... default doesnt work... NOOOO.Attached File  Sound.JPG   50.97KB   18 downloads

EDIT** Fixed it, sound works again. After 3 d/l's somehow it worked... Let see what happens.

Edited by Limpnoodle, 28 April 2006 - 08:14 PM.

#15 Jack

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

I don't have a dual core so that hotfix won't help me. I have a single core 3800+ <_<

The hotfix is for dual-core and single-core cpus with ht.

#16 paper_gh0st

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:04 PM

ok im thinking what your pc is doing is: when your browsing around, fiddling on winAMP or playing a game or any random crap that you do on your pc, it auto-restarts no matter what. Am I correct??

If yes, than you are having bluescreens and your computer has been set to auto-restart upon reaching a point where a blue screen would occur. It's not your fault cuz auto-restart is DEFAULT when you install it. I had to research online on how to turn it off.

If i am correct, I AM THE RIGHT MAN FOR YOU TO HELP!!!! cuz that is whats been hapening to my pc and its purring like a kitten now.... hardware problems. <_< stupid RAM.

anyways... to turn off auto-restart perform this simple action.

- click on the Start button.
- right click on the My Computer item in the Start Menu.
- select the Properties item from the Context Menu that scrolls out.
- click on the Advanced tab.
- click the button for Settings under Startup and Recovery.
- click to remove the check mark next to Automatic Restart.
- click OK

now that it is turned off, when your system auto-restarts it will go to bluescreen and give you all necessary info. i come to the understanding that it is fixed now but just turn off auto-restart jsut in case it isn't fully working yet.

Edited by paper_gh0st, 28 April 2006 - 10:08 PM.

#17 Limpnoodle

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:44 PM

I read alot of it and didn't see single core once... I better stay where I am.

I just played for a couple of hours, used every vehicle and no problems. Jack if you fix this problem I will give you 30 seconds to grab all you can in the Tresure Chest of Midget Pr0n.

#18 paper_gh0st

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:23 PM

I just played for a couple of hours, used every vehicle and no problems. Jack if you fix this problem I will give you 30 seconds to grab all you can in the Tresure Chest of Midget Pr0n.

... :( u didnt say anything about me idea

#19 Jack

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:50 AM

http://support.micro....com/?id=896256 and go down to "more information". It tells you that the fix covers, among other things, "Multiple logical threads, such as Intel hyper-threading technology" (i.e. single core).

#20 TheChozeLa

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:28 PM

http://support.micro....com/?id=896256 and go down to "more information". It tells you that the fix covers, among other things, "Multiple logical threads, such as Intel hyper-threading technology" (i.e. single core).

athlon 3xxx dont have hyper treading!!!
hyper-threading is a virtual dual core !
so i dont think its not needed by hes comp!! and its recomanded to not install it if you dont need it!!

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com