Photo

BIOS Flashing Gone Bad!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Why Two Kay

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

Yesterday I decided to not take my own advice, again, and I decided to flash my BIOS just because. It was a new update, and I like new things. It was supposed to help improve transfer of USB2, and large files.

So, I decided to download the update, and use the Award WinFlash utility to do so. I have used it 3 times in the past on this very motherboard and it has gone A-OK.

I started up the flashing utility, and chose the .bin file they gave me. It said it was good to go, so I clicked the go button. It sat and flashed the DMI, then the main BIOS. The main BIOS took about 5 minutes. It reached 100% fine, and then began to "verify" it. However, that verification at 2% said "error: bios verify! 1".

I thought "OMG" and decided to try and place the old BIOS back (which I happened to back up, go me). It flashed, all went A-OK again, but it "verify error" at 2% again. Argh.

I decided to delete all the files, and download a new copy of the BIOS update. I did so, and it installed fine. However, it still "verify error" at 2%.

So, my computer works fine right now. But I am afraid to reboot for fear I have owned the BIOS, and I will no longer be able to boot. I have homework to do, so I'm not risking it just yet.

Any ideas/advice?

The motherboard is:
>ECS NForce4-A939 (v1.0)<

The old BIOS was: 1.1g
The new BIOS is: 1.1k
(yes, that is the next step up in line)

#2 Snake

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

Here is what I would do. First get all of your spec and send a summary of your problems to Ryan...oh shit this is Ryan, J/K. Sorry I can't help you bud, you always seem to be able to help everyone else so I hope someone comes through for you.

#3 pest control

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

i take it ur mobo doesnt have the crash free thing like assus ones that with a click u restore old bios :(

u know, windows will have to be rebooted after sometime, u cant run comput0r forever. maybe its just the verification process that is screwed up, ur getting the same error even though ur changing BIOS.....I dont know dude, i would have ur younger brother or sister reboot computer and than u can blaim it on them if it doesnt boot up

#4 Uncle Bill

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:44 AM

It might have bios recovery jumper, set that to the right position. Then all ya need is a boot floppy with the bios.

#5 Kilo-Wiskey

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:19 AM

Clear the CMOS?? Change the jumper on CMOS and clear the memory.

#6 Why Two Kay

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:28 AM

I wouldn't be posting if the CMOS was messed up, and it was just the settings.

I flashed the BIOS, which means I erased the memory that tells the computer how to boot, and relplaced it with a new version. But I don't know if this was successful, and everytime I try to write to it, it doesn't verify.

Not a battery/jumper thing.

#7 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:56 AM

I flashed the BIOS, which means I erased the memory that tells the computer how to boot, and relplaced it with a new version. But I don't know if this was successful, and everytime I try to write to it, it doesn't verify.

Have you tried googling it? Have you tried looking it up at the the website/tech support/forums of the mobo manufacturer? Have you tried asking the mobo manufacturer directly?

#8 Why Two Kay

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:12 AM

Have you tried googling it? Have you tried looking it up at the the website/tech support/forums of the mobo manufacturer? Have you tried asking the mobo manufacturer directly?

Well, the thing is that I don't really know if it doesn't work or not. But pretty much common knowledge says that if you flash it, and it goes wrong, you're screwed. So if the power had gone out during the flashing, I wouldn't be able to start the computer. Since I never shut down, it doesn't affect me until I do, if it is broken.

My motherboard has no special backup chip for anything like this, or a way to reset like some ASUS have as mentioned above in the thread.

It looks like I have no option but to use my computer until I just have to reboot. Good thing is that I can usually manage 1-2 weeks without a reboot, if I don't play BF2.

#9 FMFDOC2

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:35 AM

Most computers have jumpers to reset the BIOS and some don't. Doesn't mean you can't reset them, it's just a little different. This may help you. What you'll actually be clearing in the CMOS which is what the BIOS writes and saves information to.

http://www.dewassoc....os_password.htm

Also found this one.

http://www.olate.co.uk/articles/182

#10 Why Two Kay

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:14 PM

Most computers have jumpers to reset the BIOS and some don't. Doesn't mean you can't reset them, it's just a little different. This may help you. What you'll actually be clearing in the CMOS which is what the BIOS writes and saves information to.

http://www.dewassoc....os_password.htm

Also found this one.

http://www.olate.co.uk/articles/182

The problem is that if the BIOS is not written properly, I will not even see a boot screen. I won't be able to access the CMOS or the menu system AT ALL.

That is what I am worried about, nothing is wrong with the settings.

#11 Uncle Bill

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

Check the bios website for a bios recovery file. place the jumper in the correct position. you shouldnt need a display at all, when you turn on the computer, itll read it and figure itself out, all youll hear is a beep when its done and you wont see anything but the flashing a drive light. that is if your mobo has the recovery jumper.

#12 Why Two Kay

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Check the bios website for a bios recovery file. place the jumper in the correct position. you shouldnt need a display at all, when you turn on the computer, itll read it and figure itself out, all youll hear is a beep when its done and you wont see anything but the flashing a drive light. that is if your mobo has the recovery jumper.

But.... how would that work? There would be no way for the computer to get that file if it can't start up. Even so, there is no recovery jumper or backup BIOS.

#13 Uncle Bill

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

dunno how it works, it just does(or so ive heard it does)

basically your screwed, and you should hope your validation tool was fubar, and not the bios:-/ bummer dude :unsure:

#14 Furious_DC

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

dude, if you don't know then the chances are pretty high that no one else does either.but try these

http://forums.pcper....ad.php?t=373815
http://www.biosflash...pdate-howto.htm

Edited by Furious_DC, 04 September 2006 - 03:26 PM.

#15 Uncle Bill

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

also just thought of this, try another utility. ive never done it, but im sure there is more than one app to do it. what can ya lose?

#16 Why Two Kay

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

also just thought of this, try another utility. ive never done it, but im sure there is more than one app to do it. what can ya lose?

Award has only one WinFlash utility to do it in Windows, and the other option is to do it with a floppy disk. However, I have no floppy drive, and I can't risk a reboot.

#17 Hydlide

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

ok.. lemme get this straight.. You are using windows.. to flash your BIOS? You have got... to.. be kidding me...

MS is known for its screw ups, let it be flashing a bios. My best guess would be, that WinFlash either screwed up the verification, depends on how they verify it.. checksum, comparisont on bin data and bios.. never the less, I dont trust windows in the first place for flashing.. I go to the core material...

The BIOS magnifacturor has usually a flash utility, in most cases you have use a disk, or you can copy the input on the harddrive and flash it from there.. last option would be copying it to CD rom, combined with Command.com and MSDOS.SYS and boot it from there..

I would never .. ever... trust a flash program from windows... simply said...

#18 Why Two Kay

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

Well, I have no other option, did I? I have no floppy drive, nor CD burner.

I've used the Award WinFlash program three times before perfectly fine! I don't understand why it would go wrong this time.

But here's the thing....

If nothing was wrong, I wouldn't need to get a CD or floppy to re-flash.

If something is wrong, I couldn't get to that CD or floppy, since I wouldn't be able to boot.

#19 Hydlide

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:49 PM

leaves you with the next problem... OS.. In this case.. Windows.. Lettig you to flash your BIOS...

2 words...

Oh.. Dear... So help you god...

infact, that are 6...

#20 Why Two Kay

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

Eh? Windows lets me flash my BIOS fine, it's just a matter of it possibly not working this time.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com