Photo

Donations

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Administration

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:03 PM

Throughout MoonGamers existence we've always relied on donations. Simply put, without your donations MoonGamers would not exist. When MoonGamers came on to the scene back in Feb/04 we ran a single server, now we have eight. In order to survive and continue to evolve, we need your continuous, consistent help.

The purpose of this message is to make all who are part of this community aware of the cost involved to run MoonGamers. We hope that offering this information to the community as a whole will help shed some light on our financial needs.

Choose the correct answer to the multiple choice question:

What is MoonGamers' annual cost of operation.

a ) $4,000
b ) $8,000
c ) $12,000
d ) $16,000

The correct answer is d) $16,000 ($20,000 CDN). Please take a moment to let that figure settle in. If you do the math it equates to little over $1,300 a month, yet our monthly donations on average total $400. Where does the rest of the money come from?
The bulk of the cost to operate MoonGamers is financed by core, and even more specifically, just a few people in core. Although those core members that do donate will continue to do so the need for consistent player donations is quite evident.

We ask for your continuous support to help insure our future. Donations of specific minimum amounts will continue to have passwords, reserved slots or other means of entering our games as a Thank You. However, even if you cannot afford a game entry donation, every little bit helps. Consider this: at $1,300 per month, if every one of our forum members donated one dollar per month...that would pay for MoonGamers continued existence and keep the servers open for games we all enjoy. Realistically, only half of our forum members are active, perhaps less. Let's put this a different way.

Last night, MoonGamers was hosting a total of 276 players all at the same time. Five dollars ($5) per month from each of those players would more than meet our continuous monthly costs. Five dollars...a pack of smokes, a sixpack of beer, two Big Macs...or...limitless hours of entertainment with your online friends. We don't ask for much, just your monthly help. Make a commitment: $2, $5, $10...or $20 for game entry. Commit to sending this in every month, and then enjoy the game that you are helping to bring to yourself and others.

If we are unable to procure these payments MoonGamers would be unable to continue to host and support this number of servers and as such would have to scale back.

For those of you who have donated every month to help keep MoonGamers going...thank you. You are the reason we can continue to play together.

#2 destructo

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:12 AM

Hua!

#3 USHA

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:31 AM

Very good info to know. I will do what I can to up my donation. I feel bad :( that at times I have not been able to give for a month.

I need to save my pocket change and send that in. :D

USHA

#4 Jack

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

F1F1

P.S. USHA, cut down on the donuts ;)

#5 USHA

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:30 AM

P.S. USHA, cut down on the donuts 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I cant do that, dooonuttttssssss

Donuts talk to me, they say :eatme: LOL

Yet anoter :spam1: post by USHA

#6 Chris_Redfield

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

I dont know but by any chance have you heard about Google Ads and Burst Ads?

#7 cowhead_cow

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:37 PM

Usha, I got this from KaiserD, but this works better:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

*Admininstrators*. I do not have a lot of money (I am only 15 with no job or anything), but I will do what you say and donate $1 - $5 every month if I can.

I can't use paypal though, so if there is a home address I can send this to by mail, feel free to PM it to me.

Cowhead Cow

#8 Linux

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:53 PM

<Snail Mail Address Here>

Scroll to the bottom, its down there. I just sent my money yesterday to that address...I sure hope its the right one.

#9 Peanut Butter and Jam

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:22 PM

thats cool.. once i get back from vacation... i will donate some money..

#10 Mawa [NOR]

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:47 PM

Can you like, drop some dollars in an envelope and sendt it to that adress? I've got some dollars spare after my vacation...

#11 Comet

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:09 PM

,Aug 6 2005, 03:47 PM]Can you like, drop some dollars in an envelope and sendt it to that adress? I've got some dollars spare after my vacation...

I wouldn't, you stand a chance of someone helping themselves, they're out there.
Send a cheque (check) if you can instead. If you don't have an account ask mom or dad to send a cheque on your behalf and pay them. If you do end up sending cash make sure to hide it well in something like a card so no one knows any better.

Thanks.

#12 Lin

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:13 PM

For the price of a card, you can usually get a money order...much safer.

#13 Linux

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:01 PM

Whoops, I sent just plain cash. Next time I'll try the money order thing.

#14 commando

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:53 AM

if i would only had a paypal account/ money...

#15 Wasabi®

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:08 AM

If all goes well, my $20 will be arriving at least by next month. :)

#16 Soldaten

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

do the math it equates to little over $1,300 a month, yet our monthly donations on average total $400. Where does the rest of the money come from?

I have an option I would like to suggest.

Monthly donations have dropped to $400 as quoted. So....

1. Determine the average number of players a server has on it over 5 weeks.
-I personally would do statistical calculations on this which shouldn't be hard.

2. Once you find this value, adjust the free slots accordingly For example on
Omaha if you find that you have 30 players on avg over 5 weeks than reduce
the number of free slots to 10 and require a $5 dollar monthly fee. Do this
across 8 servers and you have $1200 dollars.

-Naturally each server will have its own value for number of players so I
understand the actual dollar amount & free slots will vary.

3. Admins could be cut a price break since they provide additional services.

I believe this will accomplish some good things.

-By reducing the free slots it seems like you would reduce the smacktard behavior and alleviate the admins from having to babysit as much since players now have to pay. In other words the front door wouldn't be as wide open.

-I think this might work because of the reputation moon has and I think people would pay a small fee as suggested to remain part of a well maintained & well managed community server. I know I am spoiled by moon. Other than Wags I don't even bother going to a poorly managed server run by incompetents.

-Overall I believe you will get more contributors. Not everyone can afford $25 a month but many can afford $5..

You could try a system like this out for a couple of months to see how it works. You can always go back to the old system if this one doesn't work or try something else.

food for thought

-S

#17 commando

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:42 AM

how about giving thoose who donate, more privilgies (sp?)

#18 Fitztroyer

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

Thats a lot of money...although I dont have cash 2 donate...good luck!

#19 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:07 PM

Soldaten, the principle is somewhat sound. It could use a little tweaking, but it might work in some form.

Commando, I don't know about priviledges, but perks might be an option. Stuff like being entered into a draw to win something, or automatically getting a Moon t-shirt or mug or mousepad or whatever for making a full year of contributions at a certain level in one payment.

Keep in mind that I have not discussed any of these with core or any other admins in any sort of structured way, I'm still just bouncing ideas around and hoping that we will talk about this sometime soon to devise an actual strategy. The fact is we need to do our best to unburden the members of core who are paying for this in addition to providing maintenace and oversight of operations.

#20 waubamik

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:59 PM

I have a question about Donating, first i would like to know is there a way of donating without using penpal/credit cards so my parents dont kill me i love the community and i have some spare change i would be willing to donate the question for me is how!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com